Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken veneer edging on coffee table

• 08-08-2019 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi guys

I have an oak veneer coffee table and some of the table-top edging has broken off on one side and I need to replace it.

My plan is to remove the entire broken strip and then replace if with some iron-on veneer.

The thickness is about 25mm, but I am having difficulties finding this size. What I have seen so far is 18mm. I saw some 30mm, so could could I just get thus thicker size and then plane off the excess when after applying it.

Does anyone know where I could find some suitable veneer in Dublin?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi guys

I have an oak veneer coffee table and some of the table-top edging has broken off on one side and I need to replace it.

My plan is to remove the entire broken strip and then replace if with some iron-on veneer.

The thickness is about 25mm, but I am having difficulties finding this size. What I have seen so far is 18mm. I saw some 30mm, so could could I just get thus thicker size and then plane off the excess when after applying it.

Does anyone know where I could find some suitable veneer in Dublin?

Thanks!

You get the larger size and trim off with a blade, There is even veneer trim blades in a handy plastic safety holder for this job quick and easy to do once the veneer has dried and set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭cletus

Don't try cut it with a sharp blade, you'll invariably dig into it or gouge it. If you use the edge of a chisel rather than the blade, you can pare away the excess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Woodworkers, Mt Tallant Avenue sell iron on veneer in several widths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

cletus wrote: »
    Don't try cut it with a sharp blade, you'll invariably dig into it or gouge it. If you use the edge of a chisel rather than the blade, you can pare away the excess

A veneer trim tool takes it off in seconds and doesn't dig in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭cletus

listermint wrote: »
    A veneer trim tool takes it off in seconds and doesn't dig in.

I know, I just meant in relation to using a chisel or Stanley knife or similar to cut the veneer rather than paring it back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 William Legrande

Thanks for the advice, lads.

I've ordered a Stanley double edge laminate trimmer online and I'll be heading to woodworkers.ie in Terenure to see if they have a match for my colour.

I'll let ye know how I get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Iron-on ones don't destroy easily? Actually, I am also looking for a veneer edging tape but confused between iron-on and wood ones. According to my friend who is good at DIY carpentry suggested me to use iron-on ones and also my required dimensions are only available in iron-on ones. I found this two iron-on wood veneer pre-glued edging tapes here https://uniboards.co.uk/Wood-Veneer-Edging-Tapes-c48579870. Yes, iron-on is available in cherry and pine textured tapes.

Width is 22mm, but the length could be customized according to requirements. I think the width could be customized according to need, but it is essential to use the right equipment. I found one edge trimmer here https://www.edgeband.co.uk/double-edge-trimmer.html. Specifications say it is good for wood veneers that's why I am not much sure either it would work effectively for iron-on ones.

Advertisement