Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

April 2020 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Sprites wrote: »
    Hi all.

Our baby arrived on Sunday night.

Waters began leaking early on Saturday morning and I went into hospital on Saturday afternoon on account of having a previous section.

Was admitted to the ante natal ward and spent Saturday night there and transferred to the delivery suite on Sunday morning around 10am.

Syntocin drip started at 12 which brought on strong, short contractions, so it was reduced down and eventually stopped.

Got to 6cms by 4pm at which time I requested an epidural. By 8pm I was fully dilated, started pushing at 9pm and baby arrived at 9.36pm weighing 7lb 4oz.

So at least 36 hrs between my waters rupturing and baby being born. I had to have IV antibiotics 18hrs after waters rupturing. Other than that there was no time limit mentioned to me.

Fantastic news congratulations

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I was talking to my sister in law about them breaking your waters. She said if you don't have baby within 24 hours they have to section you which I don't really want. A friend had baby and she said she had bloody show and contractions but no waters broke. Turned out the baby's head was blocking water and they came in labour.

I know there's loads of pressure and everyone is up to ninety with anxiety. I am trying to be confident, the baby will come. The hospital are equipped to deal with everything, you will be ok. Women have babies everyday, we can do it too.

Also do not worry too much about when the waters go.My first the waters went first,before anything, my second they never went and she was born in the sac, and the third they went just before he came out, which is the most normal I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Hi all.

Our baby arrived on Sunday night.

Waters began leaking early on Saturday morning and I went into hospital on Saturday afternoon on account of having a previous section.

Was admitted to the ante natal ward and spent Saturday night there and transferred to the delivery suite on Sunday morning around 10am.

Syntocin drip started at 12 which brought on strong, short contractions, so it was reduced down and eventually stopped.

Got to 6cms by 4pm at which time I requested an epidural. By 8pm I was fully dilated, started pushing at 9pm and baby arrived at 9.36pm weighing 7lb 4oz.

So at least 36 hrs between my waters rupturing and baby being born. I had to have IV antibiotics 18hrs after waters rupturing. Other than that there was no time limit mentioned to me.

Sprites huge congratulations!! Fantastic news glad to hear all went well

Hi all

Baby came along today after a short but intense labour. He started of his own accord 4 days after getting the sweep. Who knows maybe it helped move things along!

Partner was allowed be there from labour ward time and they delayed getting everything tidied up afterwards so had about 2 hours after he was born together. Need to stay for 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Nickibaby* wrote: »
    Hi all

Baby came along today after a short but intense labour. He started of his own accord 4 days after getting the sweep. Who knows maybe it helped move things along!

Partner was allowed be there from labour ward time and they delayed getting everything tidied up afterwards so had about 2 hours after he was born together. Need to stay for 24 hours

Amazing!! Congratulations, fabulous news!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Hi all

Congratulations!!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

Hi all

Congratulations so delighted for you x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭CPTM

Hi all

Congratulations Nikibaby - delighted your partner got to be there for you and the baby. I bet you're excited to get everyone home now. Best of luck.

Hi all

Congratulations such good news! Lovely hearing about the babies arriving safely!

Best of luck to those stil waiting

As first baby and still learning and healing lots we decided to stay for 48 hours instead of 24. It's lovely and quiet with fewer people around than usual and the midwifes are fantastic so decided to stay put a little longer

• Advertisement

As first baby and still learning and healing lots we decided to stay for 48 hours instead of 24. It's lovely and quiet with fewer people around than usual and the midwifes are fantastic so decided to stay put a little longer

That’s a great idea. Did they have any problem with you wanting to stay longer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Congrats to you!

Blingy wrote: »
    That’s a great idea. Did they have any problem with you wanting to stay longer?

No they were so accommodating really great help with everything from the labour to the birth and now aftercare they said not to rush

Nickibaby* 2nd time mother here and I stayed for 2 nights!! Its so important to have the time post birth and take advantage of the care the midwives offer you.

We are having some issues with feeding here and they were completely fine with me staying a third night if I wished. No rushing at all which is great.

Congrats again!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

Well 41 weeks today, had appointment and due for induction Tuesday. Hopefully will go into labour myself over weekend. At least we have a timeframe now. Best of luck to everyone still waiting

Well 41 weeks today, had appointment and due for induction Tuesday. Hopefully will go into labour myself over weekend. At least we have a timeframe now. Best of luck to everyone still waiting

Best of luck

Nickibaby* 2nd time mother here and I stayed for 2 nights!! Its so important to have the time post birth and take advantage of the care the midwives offer you.

We are having some issues with feeding here and they were completely fine with me staying a third night if I wished. No rushing at all which is great.

Congrats again!

That's great to hear Sprites that midwifes are great for you too. Feeding going good so far thankfully and public health nurse phoned me she will be calling out Monday

Second baby here and I stayed 2 nights! On first I stayed three! Don’t be rushing out! All the help you can get at the beginning!

Glad to hear feeding going well!

That's great to hear Sprites that midwifes are great for you too. Feeding going good so far thankfully and public health nurse phoned me she will be calling out Monday

We had PHN yesterday. Just a heads up, she had to fully gown up in our doorstep before entering the house and she asked that my husband and other child be in another room to minimise contact.

In case your neighbours see her and are wondering!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭CPTM

We had PHN yesterday. Just a heads up, she had to fully gown up in our doorstep before entering the house and she asked that my husband and other child be in another room to minimise contact.

The public health nurse didn't come out to our house actually. She did 2 phone calls and she asked us to go to her which we did and that's it now as far as I know until the 3 month checkup.

• Advertisement

CPTM wrote: »
    The public health nurse didn't come out to our house actually. She did 2 phone calls and she asked us to go to her which we did and that's it now as far as I know until the 3 month checkup.

Yes, she said no Well Baby clinic or further checks for the foreseeable to us.

Also our GP is consolidating the Mum and Baby 6 week checkup with the 8 week vaccine so wont be seeing them until 8 weeks either.

Registered the birth via e mail today.

All these little rites of passage are altered this time round!! Strange times!

Anyone that has had their April baby do you have any recommendations for anything different in the hospital bag? Third baby here but have always had hubby there to bring stuff into me if needed....and I know I won’t have it this time. Thanks.

Anyone that has had their April baby do you have any recommendations for anything different in the hospital bag? Third baby here but have always had hubby there to bring stuff into me if needed....and I know I won’t have it this time. Thanks.

Hi Blingy, no suggestions on anything different. Maybe a multi pack of bottled water and plenty of snacks. I just made sure I had plenty of everything in case I ran out. I had packed everything into as small a bag possible and the midwives were saying that there's no bag count or size restrictions so I could have brought a bigger bag or even 2 bags. I had everything packed so tightly it took ages to find anything!

Hi Blingy, no suggestions on anything different. Maybe a multi pack of bottled water and plenty of snacks. I just made sure I had plenty of everything in case I ran out. I had packed everything into as small a bag possible and the midwives were saying that there's no bag count or size restrictions so I could have brought a bigger bag or even 2 bags. I had everything packed so tightly it took ages to find anything!

Thanks Sprites. Need to top up on snacks so!!

One thing I needed my husband to bring in was arnica tablets for bruising. I'm a first timer though so u might be prepared and have those already.

To be honest I brought way too much stuff with me didn't use the half of it with being out so quickly but I suppose best to be prepared in case you need to stay longer

Thanks Sprites for the heads up mine arrived today in a mask and gown but was happy for my husband to be in the room.

I hadn't even thought of what the neighbours might think until I read your post!!

Edited just to update that the phn will be back Friday to weigh the baby.

Instead of 6 week check up we will do the combined at the 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BrightSide9

Hi All,
    I’ve been reading your stories & congratulations to those who have had their babies.
    I’m 40+4 today & ive an appointment Thursday. I’m semi private in NMH. Does anyone know their induction policy? I’ve BraxtonHicks but I don’t feel it’s going to turn into labour anytime soon. I’m getting so impatient now.

Hi All,
    I’ve been reading your stories & congratulations to those who have had their babies.
    I’m 40+4 today & ive an appointment Thursday. I’m semi private in NMH. Does anyone know their induction policy? I’ve BraxtonHicks but I don’t feel it’s going to turn into labour anytime soon. I’m getting so impatient now.
    Sorry brightside not sure about their policy but just want to wish you the best of luck. Your nearly there hang tight. Limerick is 10 days. Did you have a sweep done? I think it helped me go into labour naturally but who knows.

Best feeling in the world holding baby in your arms. In the hospital the virus and all the craziness in the real world just melts away.

Hi All,

Holles st will let you go to 14 days if everything is ok. But if you want intervention maybe mention it at your next appointment and see what options they give you. I’m 39 weeks and back to semi private clinic tomorrow

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update. We done the antenatal classes just before everything stopped for covid, the midwife doing the class said they use to be 14 days, they moved to 10 but new research is saying 7 days now. So she suggested by the time April came that we’d be on a 7 day induction policy.
    Maybe they never got around to it with all the virus worries. I should’ve asked my actual Dr, I will this week.
    Myself & DH are just keen to get the baby out & home safe. I’d love to go naturally but my impatience is getting the better of me. She measured 7lbs 8oz on the scan 2 weeks ago. I’m worried I’ll need a section if she keeps growing for 4 weeks after that.

Thanks for the update. We done the antenatal classes just before everything stopped for covid, the midwife doing the class said they use to be 14 days, they moved to 10 but new research is saying 7 days now. So she suggested by the time April came that we’d be on a 7 day induction policy.
    Maybe they never got around to it with all the virus worries. I should’ve asked my actual Dr, I will this week.
    Myself & DH are just keen to get the baby out & home safe. I’d love to go naturally but my impatience is getting the better of me. She measured 7lbs 8oz on the scan 2 weeks ago. I’m worried I’ll need a section if she keeps growing for 4 weeks after that.

Gosh I was never told 7 days and wouldn’t be happy with that at all. My last baby came 13 days over and it all went really well. I really would not like to be induced and sitting in unit 3 for hours on my own this time.
    Talk to your doctor and discuss your worries. Measuring size of baby at this stage is wildly inaccurate by the way...try not to worry about the size of the baby. Have you been listening to any of the gentle birth meditation? The fear release one can be good and some of the affirmations just to get you into the right frame of mind. Good luck at your appointment.

Gosh I was never told 7 days and wouldn’t be happy with that at all. My last baby came 13 days over and it all went really well. I really would not like to be induced and sitting in unit 3 for hours on my own this time.
    Talk to your doctor and discuss your worries. Measuring size of baby at this stage is wildly inaccurate by the way...try not to worry about the size of the baby. Have you been listening to any of the gentle birth meditation? The fear release one can be good and some of the affirmations just to get you into the right frame of mind. Good luck at your appointment.

Thanks. I will relax myself. Since finishing work & locked in I think my mind goes mad 😂. I wish I joined here sooner, you’ve calmed me already. I’ll have a chat with the Doctor. What will be will be. Best of luck to you at the appointment tomorrow too xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

7 days seems very quick. In CUMH it’s 10 days unless you do the Domino which it 14 days. The domino midwife specifically told us there is no issue with going to 14. Honestly having had both births, induction is much harder than going naturally. You’re basically forcing the baby out before it’s ready. I know it’s tempting just to get it over with but I would have given myself every opportunity to go naturally the 2nd time after being induced the first time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Do not worry about the baby's size, (speaking from experience).It is an extremely inaccurate science. The worry is if the baby stops growing, is measuring noticeably small for it's dates, or extremely big. Anything other than that, do not worry.

I was measuring with a big baby all along at 37 weeks he measured 7pound 6oz and was born when I went into labour myself naturally at 40 weeks plus 5. He was 8 pound 9oz when born. Like the other ladies have said scans of weight at this stage can be very inaccurate.

Also from what I researched if you are induced it's more likely they will have to intervene again with possible section. Try relax if you can no matter what way baby comes into the world or you do end up being induced you will be well cared for by the medical team. Try walking if you feel up to it and use the birthing ball if you have one to try let gravity take over. You are nearly there think of all the months of pregnancy you've gone through so far hang in there! No point in potentially making things more difficult when you're so close to the end. Perhaps the doctor could do a sweep to encourage you along?

• Advertisement

Hi, I was in Holles St today. Doc confirmed the 14 days policy alright. My cervix wasn’t favorable for a sweep. So they don’t see me again until 40+12 for a big scan & they can try sweep at that stage if it’s possible.

Hi, I was in Holles St today. Doc confirmed the 14 days policy alright. My cervix wasn’t favorable for a sweep. So they don’t see me again until 40+12 for a big scan & they can try sweep at that stage if it’s possible.

Best of luck Brightside good to get confirmation from the doctor. Only a few more days to go. I've heard very positive things about Holles St you will be in good hands whether you go into labour naturally or need to be induced. Try relax as much as you can and rest put the feet up - life with a newborn is hectic!

Yes my consultant also confirmed they will allow you go 14 days over in Holles st before being induced. Will get a big detailed scan at 12 days over and then booked for induction on day 14. Hopefully I will go before then.
    Drinking my raspberry leaf tea at the moment....it’s not really to my taste!

Yes my consultant also confirmed they will allow you go 14 days over in Holles st before being induced. Will get a big detailed scan at 12 days over and then booked for induction on day 14. Hopefully I will go before then.

Blingy the day before my waters went I went for a long walk and had a spicy Indian curry. Worth a try!!

Best of luck Blingy you never know the tea might just do the trick! If you feel up to it go for a walk, walk up and down stairs, do squats and use the birthing ball. Also do try relax as much as possible and have a nice long soak in the bath :)

• Advertisement

Best of luck Blingy you never know the tea might just do the trick! If you feel up to it go for a walk, walk up and down stairs, do squats and use the birthing ball. Also do try relax as much as possible and have a nice long soak in the bath :)

Thanks Only 39 weeks so I have a couple of weeks to go I reckon. Running around after two other little ones is keeping me fairly busy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RMC10

Hi all,

Only getting a chance to catch up on a the last week's posts now. I had a lovely little baby boy last Friday 17th April.

I went in for an "elective" cescerian on the morning of the 16th due to being 10 days over. I had a section on my first baby. At an appointment the previous day I had asked for a sweep but was told I wasn't favourable enough and my waters couldn't be broken either so I'd have to have the section the following day. I was extremely upset.

Went in the morning of the 16th, asked for another exam and they were able to break my waters so I decided to go down that road. I was instantly more happy and relaxed feeling I'd gained back some control of the situation. Long story short I ended up having another emc but I don't regret the way things went and I'm happy I got the chance to try for a vbac. Labour was way more intense and painful than no.1. Waters broken at 11am on Thursday and baby was delivered at 3am on Friday with no pain relief until theatre, epidural didn't work, baby was stargazing too.

I couldn't say enough about all of the staff in NMH from entry to discharge they were top notch. As someone else said everything else in the world just melted away when in the hospital.

Best of luck to those still waiting. It's tough at the moment but so so worth it.

RMC10 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Only getting a chance to catch up on a the last week's posts now. I had a lovely little baby boy last Friday 17th April.

I went in for an "elective" cescerian on the morning of the 16th due to being 10 days over. I had a section on my first baby. At an appointment the previous day I had asked for a sweep but was told I wasn't favourable enough and my waters couldn't be broken either so I'd have to have the section the following day. I was extremely upset.

Went in the morning of the 16th, asked for another exam and they were able to break my waters so I decided to go down that road. I was instantly more happy and relaxed feeling I'd gained back some control of the situation. Long story short I ended up having another emc but I don't regret the way things went and I'm happy I got the chance to try for a vbac. Labour was way more intense and painful than no.1. Waters broken at 11am on Thursday and baby was delivered at 3am on Friday with no pain relief until theatre, epidural didn't work, baby was stargazing too.

I couldn't say enough about all of the staff in NMH from entry to discharge they were top notch. As someone else said everything else in the world just melted away when in the hospital.

Best of luck to those still waiting. It's tough at the moment but so so worth it.

Congratulations RMC10!!!

Hi all,

Congratulations!!

Thanks Only 39 weeks so I have a couple of weeks to go I reckon. Running around after two other little ones is keeping me fairly busy!!

Oh your kept very active so. Best of luck with everything

Hi all,

Congratulations on your baby boy sounds like you had a a tough time of it. Enjoy the newborn cuddles

Congratulations RMC10.
    Enjoy some cocooning now.

Anyone else not feeling great? Tomorrow is my due date. I feel exhausted even though I am catching up on sleep. No energy. Pukey/heartburn. Feel like a head fog I can’t shift. It’s odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tt2014

Hi everyone, just a quick question. I had a sweep yesterday that didnt work as the cervix wasnt in the right position. However, I lost my mucus plug last night and have been getting alot of twinges. Im 38 weeks so they want to do another sweep next tuesday and if that doesnt work, induction wenesday , anyone have any thoughts?

Anyone else not feeling great? Tomorrow is my due date. I feel exhausted even though I am catching up on sleep. No energy. Pukey/heartburn. Feel like a head fog I can’t shift. It’s odd.

It could be a sign that labour is imminent they do say you can feel pukey. To be on the safe side though id get it checked out you know your own body and what doesn't feel right for you. Best of luck. Hopefully your little one arrives on your due date!

• Advertisement
Advertisement