Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

April 2020 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

tt2014 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just a quick question. I had a sweep yesterday that didnt work as the cervix wasnt in the right position. However, I lost my mucus plug last night and have been getting alot of twinges. Im 38 weeks so they want to do another sweep next tuesday and if that doesnt work, induction wenesday , anyone have any thoughts?

Did you lose the plug in one go? Mine was coming in bits then after sweep full plug came down 2 days after that and I went into labour a couple of days later. Hopefully you go yourself naturally now that you've lost the plug. I'd request that they check you Friday if no movement and see if you are favourable for a sweep then to give it a chance to work before induction instead of the day before. No harm in calling and advising of the update

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

RMC10 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Only getting a chance to catch up on a the last week's posts now. I had a lovely little baby boy last Friday 17.

Best of luck to those still waiting. It's tough at the moment but so so worth it.

Congratulations delighted for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

Hi ladies, hope all is well. Looking for advance, tips and suggestions re newborn sleep. Our little guy came home yesterday, first night at home was fairly rough as will not sleep in his bed, his carrycot or on the sleep-pod. All have sheets/blankets, soft and warm. Baby will only sleep in our arms or on our bed which were obviously not keen on. Putting him in any of these asleep results in a quick meltdown with no calming. I know it’s only been a short time but neither of us have slept great in the run up to his birth and looking to remedy (or at least try) as soon as possible. Has anyone else had this issue? Any tips or suggestions on how I can make baby more comfortable or willing to stay in his bed?
    Thanks in advance from a very tired mama :-(

Dahdum wrote: »
    Hi ladies, hope all is well. Looking for advance, tips and suggestions re newborn sleep. Our little guy came home yesterday, first night at home was fairly rough as will not sleep in his bed, his carrycot or on the sleep-pod. All have sheets/blankets, soft and warm. Baby will only sleep in our arms or on our bed which were obviously not keen on. Putting him in any of these asleep results in a quick meltdown with no calming. I know it’s only been a short time but neither of us have slept great in the run up to his birth and looking to remedy (or at least try) as soon as possible. Has anyone else had this issue? Any tips or suggestions on how I can make baby more comfortable or willing to stay in his bed?

Hi Dahdum

We have a 2 and a half week old and unfortunately going through the same thing he was diagnosed with a laryngomalacia which is a soft larynx so making an awful noise in his sleep which wakes him when we try put him down.

A tip that the public health nurse gave which u might want to try it to put something which you wore that has your smell in the crib, we did seem to be making progress until this condition raised its head. Best of luck I know it's very hard being sleep deprived but it's very early days

Thanks Nickibaby*, great idea. Well give that a go starting tonight and hopefully we’ll start to see some improvement.

Sorry to hear you’re having a difficult time too x keep well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Thanks Nickibaby*, great idea. Well give that a go starting tonight and hopefully we’ll start to see some improvement.

Sorry to hear you’re having a difficult time too x keep well

The first few weeks are really really tough. My babies only ever slept in arms or on my chest during that time and then gradually moved to the Moses basket which was nice and snug for them. Take it in turns to get some sleep. There is also a safe cosleeping guide if you want to do that. I hear you about the tiredness. The fourth trimester is not easy. Good luck.

Anyone else overdue and still waiting on their ‘April’ baby?? Looks like this one is very comfy!!

Blingy wrote: »
    Anyone else overdue and still waiting on their ‘April’ baby?? Looks like this one is very comfy!!
    Thanks for your reply blingy. I guess I’m being a little impatient as has only been a few days. We will persevere and try not lose heart!

This little man was due April 27th, arrived May 1st. Hope you’re not left waiting too long.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Sorry, fourth trimester it is.Had little or no luck with any of those myself either on any baby.You just have to work in your sleep around him, your own routine goes out the window for several weeks I'm afraid.The exhaustion is unreal.I despise daytime sleeping myself but get naps in when you can to survive and expect nothing from at least the first 6 weeks.

Sorry.I know it is so hard and you just want to cry at the thought of it, but snatch every 20 mins of sleep that you can, whenever you can, because sleep will help you cope, even if it is just in small snatches.All I would expect from the first 6 weeks is the baby learns night from day - ie that the pace changes at night, so bring him up to bed, do a little clothes change, turn lights on low and a feed, that kind of thing, but I wouldn't expect that they actually sleep or sleep in a certain spot at that time. Outside of that, it is pure survival.

Sorry.It feels like forever, but it will end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Hi Dahdum and congratulations.

Our little guy is 3 weeks old and we are dealing with the same issues. Unfortunately its a case of riding this out for a few weeks until your baby gets used to life outside the womb.

If you Google "the fourth trimester" it might give you an insight to why your newborn is so keen to be held and doesn't like being put down in a crib or basket.

If you don't have other children then between yourself and your partner "divide and conquer" and take turns to get some rest while the other tends to the baby.

In our house the only person out of four of us getting any sleep is the three year old who has masses of energy all day which means that our opportunity for grabbing some shut eye during the day is non existent.

I'm just hanging on to the hope that this will hopefully settle down soon, maybe another 3 weeks, and things won't be so intense.

Thanks everyone for the responses, they’ve been so helpful and we’ve both really appreciated them - I’ve been reading them out to OH. I think I need become a little (A lot) more Realistic and not expect anything for a good few weeks rather than hoping for change in a few days and just try and ride it out! Between the change in routine, hormones, lifestyle, I can foresee a few meltdowns In the not so distant future but sure all probably normal and worth it in the end.
    Thanks again. No doubt I’ll be on again soon with another ridiculous and inane question!

Thanks everyone for the responses, they’ve been so helpful and we’ve both really appreciated them - I’ve been reading them out to OH. I think I need become a little (A lot) more Realistic and not expect anything for a good few weeks rather than hoping for change in a few days and just try and ride it out! Between the change in routine, hormones, lifestyle, I can foresee a few meltdowns In the not so distant future but sure all probably normal and worth it in the end.
    Thanks again. No doubt I’ll be on again soon with another ridiculous and inane question!

It's a huge adjustment and nothing prepares you for those first few weeks. I remember questioning absolutely everything on our 1st, so no question is ridiculous or inane.

You should hopefully notice small improvements each week and before you know it you will have found your family's new "normal"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Absolutely it is a huge adjustment.Meltdowns totally happen.You will adjust to your new routine but give yourself time.Literally, a couple of months, give yourself a pass for those few months.

And you are doing nothing wrong. Anyone that tells you their newborn is sleeping wonderfully in a cot all night or napping no bother in a bed during the day in a routine is lying through their teeth!Or else not doing something else that yours does do.So do not compare yourself either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

My advice would be to go easy on your self, otherwise you will get paranoid thinking you are the only one that is struggling. It is really difficult, but you will get to sleep for a few hour in a row again soon :D.

A lot of people who say they are getting on fine are not telling you the truth.. we are all getting vomited/pooed/peed on :rolleyes:

The thing I found hardest was the unwanted advice from family/friends. You shouldn't hold/rock/cuddle your child.. they will never learn to fall asleep themselves.. I'm not aware of any teenager who is still rocked to sleep by their parents.

I found the book "Why Your Baby's Sleep Matters" to be very good. It is short and interesting. The best thing I got from it was that some days your baby will need to be in your arms for comfort.. just go with it and ignore the people tutting.

I remember sleeping a lot better after getting one of those movement mats for the cot. Some people like them, and some don't. But for me, it was great because I was able to sleep (especially the first few weeks) knowing if there was an issue, the movement monitor would wake me.

It feels good knowing we are all in the same boat. You just see these wonderful photos online of babies sleeping peacefully in the cot and wonder why yours isn't doing the same thing!

Hopefully in a few weeks he'll be happier to go down on his own for awhile until then we will take it in turns to get sleep!

• Advertisement

I see the thread has been moved, just wondering how everyone is getting on?

Baby is starting to go down and sleep more and myself and my husband are trying to work as a tag team. It is very hard having no family support with covid but lovely that we are in our own bubble working it out. How is everyone else feeling about this?

Nickibaby* wrote: »

Baby is starting to go down and sleep more and myself and my husband are trying to work as a tag team. It is very hard having no family support with covid but lovely that we are in our own bubble working it out. How is everyone else feeling about this?

I'm trying not to dwell on it but its hard not to feel hard done by with not being able to see family, not having childcare for my eldest so I feel like I'm really neglecting him and then yesterday realising we dont have access to alot of the aids and activities that we would normally.

Specifically I made enquiries about Craniosacral therapy to help my little one with a few digestions issues like wind and reflux. The lady I spoke to was so nice but the reality is we cant access anything like that until 20 July at the earliest. I was so disappointed as I found holistic therapies really helped settle my first.

Saying that, our little one who was 1 month old yesterday had a much better night than normal.

I had to give in and use a soother, which is killing me as my 1st never had one and it was great not to have to deal with weaning off one or looking for ones in the cot or crib in the middle of the night. But I suppose we have to do what we have to do.

Is anyone else using a soother? Which ones do you use? Do you limit it to certain times or uses?

Was due the 29th and baby eventually arrived 11 days overdue!! A little girl. Trying to get back into the swing of things now but finding feeding very painful. I don’t think I’m ever destined to have an easy breastfeeding journey !

Blingy wrote: »
    Was due the 29th and baby eventually arrived 11 days overdue!! A little girl. Trying to get back into the swing of things now but finding feeding very painful. I don’t think I’m ever destined to have an easy breastfeeding journey !

Congratulations!

I hear you on the breastfeeding. I assumed that in my 2nd we would have no issues, how wrong was I!!

You are prob using all these already but Lanolin ointment and multimam compresses really helped me

Also, the Silverette Angel Cups are supposed to be amazing, expensive at €52 but they are supposed to be a miracle product.

Sprites wrote: »
    I'm trying not to dwell on it but its hard not to feel hard done by with not being able to see family, not having childcare for my eldest so I feel like I'm really neglecting him and then yesterday realising we dont have access to alot of the aids and activities that we would normally.

I had to give in and use a soother, which is killing me as my 1st never had one and it was great not to have to deal with weaning off one or looking for ones in the cot or crib in the middle of the night. But I suppose we have to do what we have to do.

Is anyone else using a soother? Which ones do you use? Do you limit it to certain times or uses?

I hear you it is so tough not seeing family and having access to childminder to have even a couple of hours break, dreaming about a couple of hours alone with my husband! I'm just telling myself it will happen sometime. It would be great in the day to get out to a mother and baby group or baby massage. It's my first so I suppose I don't exactly know what I'm missing out on.

I'm breastfeeding but my husband is now giving him one bottle of formula at night. I was expressing for that feed but found the pump sore so thought it better to stop using it as I had been finding breastfeeding was going well and didn't want to leave myself sore and unable to continue.

I use a soother very occasionally if we are out in the car or on a walk to try soothe him until we can get home I'd probably use it more to be honest but he isn't that interested in it. He likes the nuk ones I tried the mam ones but he usually spits them out

• Advertisement

Congratulations!

I hear you on the breastfeeding. I assumed that in my 2nd we would have no issues, how wrong was I!!

You are prob using all these already but Lanolin ointment and multimam compresses really helped me

Also, the Silverette Angel Cups are supposed to be amazing, expensive at €52 but they are supposed to be a miracle product.

Thank you. Yes I’m using all those. Actually stopped off on the way home from Holles st to get the silver angels. Multi man compresses are amazing. I have a couple of cuts now so I’ve started using shields to let them heal as they just kept reopening and bleeding on every feed. Third bf journey and it’s unreal how sore each one has been at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Never thought id be having my first baby in a pandemic but here we are...
    Obviously its nothing like I planned. We are based in Wexford and my husband is from Tipperary so it looks like his parents wont be meeting their new grandchild until hes 3 months old. Thank God for Facetime / Whatsapp video calls.
    Having said that its nice that we dont have people just dropping in either... Every cloud has a silver lining! :D

My GP has cancelled all 2 and 6 week appointments for babies so the next time my baby is seeing any medical person will be for his 2 month injections :confused::eek:

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Never thought id be having my first baby in a pandemic but here we are...
    Obviously its nothing like I planned. We are based in Wexford and my husband is from Tipperary so it looks like his parents wont be meeting their new grandchild until hes 3 months old. Thank God for Facetime / Whatsapp video calls.
    Having said that its nice that we dont have people just dropping in either... Every cloud has a silver lining! :D

My GP has cancelled all 2 and 6 week appointments for babies so the next time my baby is seeing any medical person will be for his 2 month injections :confused::eek:

My own family are the other side of the country so baby will be 3 months when they see him at best. Like you said video calls are great.

My GP is the same will be 8 weeks before we see anyone. We had the phn call twice to weigh him but they are now contacting us by phone. Even for ourselves and the 6 week check up it would be great, I'm thinking of phoning and requesting an appointment. The phn was surprised that the 6 week appointment wasn't going ahead she said they would need to see him to check his heart and his hips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I had my baby mid March and my GP did both the 2 and 6 week appointment.

Our GP is doing the 6 week check at 8 weeks instead and will do the immunizations at the same visit.

I think if I had requested the 6 week appt be done as normal they would have given it but I'm happy to minimise going to the GP at the moment.

Our GP is doing the 6 week check at 8 weeks instead and will do the immunizations at the same visit.

I think if I had requested the 6 week appt be done as normal they would have given it but I'm happy to minimise going to the GP at the moment.

You are probably right Sprites. I'm just wondering with the 6 week check up for mom's what exactly is checked? I'm walking lots but would like to start online workouts but just want to make sure it's OK. Had baby 4 weeks ago

You are probably right Sprites. I'm just wondering with the 6 week check up for mom's what exactly is checked? I'm walking lots but would like to start online workouts but just want to make sure it's OK. Had baby 4 weeks ago

From what I remember it's really focused on the mums mental health, asking if you're coping ok, sleeping ok, have enough help etc. They will ask if you are healing ok, I had a section the last time so she asked if I felt ok at the site of the wound.

They dont advise rushing things after having a baby. What kind of workouts were you thinking of doing? I would steer clear of any circuit type HIIT workouts, it's a bit early for them. 4 weeks is very early to be doing any kind of rigorous exercise regime.

Your doctor will definitely be able to advise though.

Best of luck and fair play for having the motivation!

Maybe try some workouts designed specifically for post partum??

From what I remember it's really focused on the mums mental health, asking if you're coping ok, sleeping ok, have enough help etc. They will ask if you are healing ok, I had a section the last time so she asked if I felt ok at the site of the wound.

They dont advise rushing things after having a baby. What kind of workouts were you thinking of doing? I would steer clear of any circuit type HIIT workouts, it's a bit early for them. 4 weeks is very early to be doing any kind of rigorous exercise regime.

Your doctor will definitely be able to advise though.

Best of luck and fair play for having the motivation!

They’ll discuss contraception as well. Took my blood pressure. For my first baby I’d had an episiotomy which was not healing well so she checked that as well.

Under normal circumstances I’d recommend a check up with a women’s health physio as well especially before starting rigorous exercise but unfortunately not really an option at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

bee06 wrote: »
    Under normal circumstances I’d recommend a check up with a women’s health physio as well especially before starting rigorous exercise but unfortunately not really an option at the moment.

You might find some women's health physios doing remote consultations. For ladies who have had babies in OLOL, the women's physio normally does a postnatal class but due to circumstances, she has moved this to an online format which is a great resource and she is also ringing ladies to check in on them.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies on the check up for mom's. I had been doing pregnancy pilates and workouts I'm actually gonna contact the instructor she's a physio and get her advice on post partum workout. I found it great for my back and mental health throughout pregnancy and feel it would really help me to get back into it for strength and for sanity 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭CPTM

Did you all get a PPS number for your little ones yet? I've registered the birth but I'm not sure how to get the PPS number itself.

CPTM wrote: »
    Did you all get a PPS number for your little ones yet? I've registered the birth but I'm not sure how to get the PPS number itself.

They’ll send you a letter with the PPS number maybe a week after registering the birth.

CPTM - we registered our little one a little over a week ago and received pps number in the post today.

CPTM yes received ours and again like other posters have said mine took approximately 1 week to arrive also

CPTM wrote: »

I got a PPS number in the post but didnt get a birth cert yet.... :confused:

dragonfly! wrote: »
    I got a PPS number in the post but didnt get a birth cert yet.... :confused:

I had to call the registrations office, give over card details for the €20 fee and the cert was posted out.

Its not automatically issued when you register the birth, you ask for it separately I think.

My own family are the other side of the country so baby will be 3 months when they see him at best. Like you said video calls are great.

My GP is the same will be 8 weeks before we see anyone. We had the phn call twice to weigh him but they are now contacting us by phone. Even for ourselves and the 6 week check up it would be great, I'm thinking of phoning and requesting an appointment. The phn was surprised that the 6 week appointment wasn't going ahead she said they would need to see him to check his heart and his hips

I called last Friday and requested a repeat prescription for the pill and I was told I could have a phone consultation and pay €30 for it or wait until his "6 week check" which will be when he is 2 months at the end of June.
    I chose the end of June option as €30 to just write a prescription is ridiculous its not like they can do the BP check on the phone either
    I also asked to make the booking for the end of June so its done and she said they arent taking appointments yet its too far away :rolleyes:

I had to call the registrations office, give over card details for the €20 fee and the cert was posted out.

Its not automatically issued when you register the birth, you ask for it separately I think.

Thank you I didnt know that will give them a shout!

• Advertisement

How is everyone getting on now?

Baby is 6 weeks today and sleeping reasonably during the night now thankfully. He's still up a couple of times for feeding but seems to know day from night!

Quick question the baby doesn't like the pram as lying flat and I think he doesn't feel very snug and he's still small in comparison to the size of the pram, has anyone had similar issues or are there any inserts to make it more cosy? When going for walks I've just been using the car seat which I know isn't ideal for their lungs/hips (we don't have him in it for any longer than 2 hours in a 24 hour period)

Baby is 6 weeks today and sleeping reasonably during the night now thankfully. He's still up a couple of times for feeding but seems to know day from night!

Quick question the baby doesn't like the pram as lying flat and I think he doesn't feel very snug and he's still small in comparison to the size of the pram, has anyone had similar issues or are there any inserts to make it more cosy? When going for walks I've just been using the car seat which I know isn't ideal for their lungs/hips (we don't have him in it for any longer than 2 hours in a 24 hour period)

Ours was 6 weeks on Sunday. Still having major sleep issues here as we are dealing with gas, congestion and reflux.

I'm not aware of any products made for prams. Any of the sleep pods on the market are a bit too big for a carrycot of a pram. Could you use rolled up cellular blankets to make it more cosy? Youd need to keep a close eye to make sure baby hasn't got his/her face up against them though.

ClevaMama sell a pram pillow but I've never used one. You could put something under the head of the mattress in the pram to elevate it slightly .

Or swaddle them in the pram?

My eldest hated the pram, it was a total no-no.Depending on your buggy, you can get an infant insert for the buggy seat.We had an Uppababy Vista-you can get an infant insert for about 40eur, holds their head in place and a wedge under it provides back support for them -similar to the type of newborn insert you have for the MaxiCosi carseat.The seat is supposed to be laid flat when you use it.

It is not ideal, but tbh, it was what worked best for us as she would just scream herself purple everytime we tried the pram for a walk.

Depending on your buggy brand, have a look and see if there is an infant insert available to go with it.There may be some universal ones also, it's a while since I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Hi all,

I hope this finds you all well and babies are starting to give parents a little bit more sleep!!

My little girl had her vaccinations today and they were looking for her immunisation booklet Passport thing! I assumed they were gonna give it to me at the first visit but they said no I should have had it!

I have one for my first little one but that was over 2 years ago and I haven’t a clue who or where I got it!! Did anyone get one for their little one? If so can you tell me where to apply?

Hi Pocos, the PHN gave me the passport along with other booklets. Were you given anything by your PHN? If so, it might be in amongst the docs you got.

Hi Pocos, the PHN gave me the passport along with other booklets. Were you given anything by your PHN? If so, it might be in amongst the docs you got.

Hi Dahdum

No PHN didn’t give me any info on the vaccinations as she was girl number 2. Must contact him to get one so!

Thanks for quick reply

• Advertisement

Hi pocos same with me phn provided it

How's your little one after the vaccine?

Mine isn't until baby is 9 weeks so another 2 weeks to go!

Hi pocos same with me phn provided it

How's your little one after the vaccine?

Mine isn't until baby is 9 weeks so another 2 weeks to go!

Hi nickibaby
    Little one was ok! Slept a lot which I did remember on baby one was the same! Fussy while awake but generally good! Have given the 3 doses of calpol to get us up to bedtime ish 9pm. Then you give a 4th dose if needed so have that for middle of the night if I feel little One is in pain!!

Generally lots of sleep, I remember 4 month ones are harder on them

Pocos wrote: »
    Hi Dahdum

No PHN didn’t give me any info on the vaccinations as she was girl number 2. Must contact him to get one so!

Thanks for quick reply

You can order them online. They’re free and they just post it out.

https://www.healthpromotion.ie/publication/fullListing?category=Immunisation

I didn’t get one for either baby from anyone.

The book is usually in a pocket in the back or front of a HSE booklet you get on vaccinations...its a blue and white booklet?If memory serves me correctly, the hospital gave it to me each time (along with all the other paper!) When I was discharged.But I am sure you can pick up other copies.

Thanks Bee I literally just ordered it there now.

Got no info regarding vaccinations from hospital due to covid they weren’t giving out any paper they said (??)! So I didn’t get one but thanks all for such quick replies :)

How are everyone’s little one getting on?
    Poor child is def the ignored second child in this house. Toddlers take up so much attention!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement