Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

April 2020 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

CPTM wrote: »
    One tip is there's no bathroom for waiting dads to go to near Holles st that I knew of! So maybe make sure to go beforehand! I forgot but luckily I was allowed in quite quickly after Mrs Cptm was admitted. Everyone is home now thank god. Best of luck everyone, it's the best feeling :)

That's great Mrs Cptm and baby got home so quickly. Congratulations to u all again, home safe and sound. Enjoy all the newborn cuddles. Good tip about the bathroom too

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My wife was also sent home 48 hours after her section, which is a day earlier than the norm. They are trying to get people out ASAP if they are able.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

Quick question, what kind of snacks are ppl bringing in if any. Do any of the dads have a prepared bag with them, change of clothes snacks etc. Due on Thursday and I'm repacking my bag again. Using tips from other mams and putting baby clothes into individual outfits (nappy, cotton wolol, vest, babygro into individual zip loc bags so not rooting around for stuff). Think I'm happy with labour bag, have mini fan and lucozade in there with jellies and bag if nuts, just wondering what if anything is other pople bringing in. Also I just read that the Rotunda cafe is now offering a phone order & delivery system to mums on their wards - using debit cardd only. Helps since dads won't be around.

https://t.co/1UJPHIn6Jy

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Quick question, what kind of snacks are ppl bringing in if any. Do any of the dads have a prepared bag with them, change of clothes snacks etc. Due on Thursday and I'm repacking my bag again. Using tips from other mams and putting baby clothes into individual outfits (nappy, cotton wolol, vest, babygro into individual zip loc bags so not rooting around for stuff). Think I'm happy with labour bag, have mini fan and lucozade in there with jellies and bag if nuts, just wondering what if anything is other pople bringing in. Also I just read that the Rotunda cafe is now offering a phone order & delivery system to mums on their wards - using debit cardd only. Helps since dads won't be around.

Only thing dad needs is food for when he's sitting in the car. And probably a book or an ipad or whatever to entertain himself for the hours he's likely to be sitting there.

Don't bring a change of clothes.

I would recommend mum brings some sandwiches or something in her bag, or get partner to bring them in when he's called. Depending on the time you give birth at you could miss dinner. If you end up getting sectioned you can't eat for 6 hours after. They'll give you something to eat, but it won't be that substantial, so you could be pretty hungry.

awec wrote: »
    Only thing dad needs is food for when he's sitting in the car. And probably a book or an ipad or whatever to entertain himself for the hours he's likely to be sitting there.

Don't bring a change of clothes.

I would recommend mum brings some sandwiches or something in her bag, or get partner to bring them in when he's called. Depending on the time you give birth at you could miss dinner. If you end up getting sectioned you can't eat for 6 hours after. They'll give you something to eat, but it won't be that substantial, so you could be pretty hungry.

Thanks, was just thinking change for dad as a friend of mine puked on her husband after they gave her drugs and he was stuck in a sticky tshirt for birth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

I wouldnt bring the nuts incase of allergies...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Thanks, was just thinking change for dad as a friend of mine puked on her husband after they gave her drugs and he was stuck in a sticky tshirt for birth.

The bags are big enough give the poor fella a change of tshirt :) first baby you could be in there hours!

As you said could be puked on or anything! Also something to read! Wouldn’t take up much space in back! Small deodorant and toothbrush!

I was lucky we didn’t need it for either but book was handy on first baby!

dragonfly! wrote: »
    I wouldnt bring the nuts incase of allergies...

Good thinking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭raheny red

A spare shirt / t-shirt, socks, jocks, deodorant, and toothbrush for daddy......

raheny red wrote: »
    A spare shirt / t-shirt, socks, jocks, deodorant, and toothbrush for daddy......

Thanks, hope you and the family are doing well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

How did people approach dates for paternity leave/parents leave.

Husband would like to be off work straight after the baby is born but obviously dates are uncertain if I end up overdue.

Are people planning the paternity leave for when the baby is definitely here (ie 2 weeks after due date) and just taking annual leave if the birth happens before this? Or are employers flexible with the dates the Dads take the leave? Like put specified dates down on the social welfare application and then take the leave when actually required?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah on the social welfare forms put in the due dates etc. It can be postponed obviously for going over. My work were flexible just had to let them know, just as well as she's now 10 days over!

Ideally take leave as soon as the baby is born but with limited access to the hospital if its a case where baby and mother are still in the hospital I plan to stay working and save my paternity leave/annual leave.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah on the social welfare forms put in the due dates etc. It can be postponed obviously for going over. My work were flexible just had to let them know, just as well as she's now 10 days over!

Ideally take leave as soon as the baby is born but with limited access to the hospital if its a case where baby and mother are still in the hospital I plan to stay working and save my paternity leave/annual leave.

Thanks for the info!!

This is what we are hoping to be able to do, just have to hope that his workplace is agreeable to flexing the dates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Employers are generally flexible. My baby was 3 days early and my husband just text his manager the morning I went into labour to say he was starting his paternity leave on that day. Every employer should understand that the baby could come anytime within a month window realistically. My husband had his cover docs ready to go as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭CPTM

I submitted the due date as the start date and told them I wanted 2 weeks off. Generally employers are fine if it comes early or late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Anyone else with a breech baby that doesn’t seem to want to turn?37 weeks now and back into Holles st today (wed). I’ll be referred to the breech clinic then next Tuesday. Anyone been there before? 3rd baby here and never had this problem before. Kinda worried baby won’t turn and then prospects of a c section.

Full term so going for the sweep to see if things will move along - nervous!

Do you know how long they let you go over if it doesn't work? Is there a standard. Baby measuring big

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I do know a few mums who were in that position on their third.They did result in C-Sections, which tbh, were fine.(and many hospitals offer the option of tying your tubes during the operation too, if you wanted....).Some hospitals may try to turn the baby but I think that is very dependent on the consultant, and your wishes too.

Most the mothers I know just kind of went along with the CSection, just to get the baby out!Two had attempts to get the baby to turn, and had to spend a couple of days in hospital to make sure baby stayed that way.I think it is probably very much dependent on yourself and how you feel.

Nickibaby* wrote: »

Do you know how long they let you go over if it doesn't work? Is there a standard. Baby measuring big

I went 13 days over on my last pregnancy. I was due to be induced on day 14. They weren’t going to let me go past day 14. I wanted to go naturally though. I found acupuncture brilliant the last time ...can’t do that this time unfortunately

• Advertisement

shesty wrote: »
    I do know a few mums who were in that position on their third.They did result in C-Sections, which tbh, were fine.(and many hospitals offer the option of tying your tubes during the operation too, if you wanted....).Some hospitals may try to turn the baby but I think that is very dependent on the consultant, and your wishes too.

Most the mothers I know just kind of went along with the CSection, just to get the baby out!Two had attempts to get the baby to turn, and had to spend a couple of days in hospital to make sure baby stayed that way.I think it is probably very much dependent on yourself and how you feel.

Thanks shesty.

It depends on the hospital. CUMH is 10 days unless you are on the domino scheme which is 14 days. Other hospitals could be 14 days.

Blingy wrote: »
    Anyone else with a breech baby that doesn’t seem to want to turn?37 weeks now and back into Holles st today (wed). I’ll be referred to the breech clinic then next Tuesday. Anyone been there before? 3rd baby here and never had this problem before. Kinda worried baby won’t turn and then prospects of a c section.

My friens had her baby last week in Holles Streer. Baby was breech for ages she tried everything to turn it. She went in around 37 weeks and doc was able to turn the baby for her. They may be able to do same for you. I know it caused her a lot of anxiety but in the end the doc had baby flipped in about a minute. best of luck, hope baby turns for you

Hi Blingy, my last baby was breech. I tried acupuncture and moxibustion and also had two ECVs. Unfortunately the baby didnt turn and I had a section. I know from the research I did at the time though that the fact this is your third will be in your favour. Mine was less likely to turn as it was my 1st, my womb wouldn't have been as "roomy" if that makes sense.

My experience of the two ECVs was fine. A bit uncomfortable but not painful and if I found myself in that position again I would give it a try. I looked at the risks of ECV and the risks of elective section and it made sense to try the ECV based on the stats.

I had an emergency section in the end as I went into labour before the booked section date. It was still a lovely birth experience, as although technically an "emergency" procedure, there was plenty of time to prepare as it wasnt a rushed decision as would be in other emergency situations.

Look up Spinning Babies exercises and do these at home regularly, people have lots of success with these.

Best of luck x

I went 13 days over on my last pregnancy. I was due to be induced on day 14. They weren’t going to let me go past day 14. I wanted to go naturally though. I found acupuncture brilliant the last time ...can’t do that this time unfortunately

My preference would be to leave induction as a last resort too. I did hear if sweep doesn't work first time that multiple sweeps might increase the likelihood of them working.. Fingers crossed it works first time!

Hope it gets things going for you Nickibaby. Make sure and let us know if its effective for you!

I'm in UHW and they are leaving me go 12 days over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Rotunda is about 12 days too I think.Depending on how you and baby are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Wexford its 10 days over and Kilkenny its 14
    Or maybe its the other way around
    I am so tired today and the baby brain is real :D

I checked with them today and its 10 days there. I'm 3cm dialated so they were able to do the sweep membrane and stretch so hopefully induction won't be required!

I checked with them today and its 10 days there. I'm 3cm dialated so they were able to do the sweep membrane and stretch so hopefully induction won't be required!

That’s great everything was favourable. Best of luck hopefully the sweep will get things moving.

Anyone that has little ones already what are you doing about getting them minded when you go into labour? We had my parents organised to come up but they are cocooning now so we are at a bit of a loss.

• Advertisement

Anyone that has little ones already what are you doing about getting them minded when you go into labour? We had my parents organised to come up but they are cocooning now so we are at a bit of a loss.

I'm lucky, my mum isn't elderly and she lives very closely so she is going to have our 3 year old for us

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RMC10

Sprites wrote: »
    I'm lucky, my mum isn't elderly and she lives very closely so she is going to have our 3 year old for us

We're fortunate enough too that MIL is close and still going to take my daughter. Brother in law lives there too and they've both been home now for at least 3 weeks so I'm happy enough for them watch her when I go in.

Do you have any friends or family close that you'd trust and/or would be happy to watch your other child?

It's so hard right now.

Was due Thursday. Doc did sweep and said it will be deffo this weekend but nothing is happening. wasn't bothered when I didn't have any expectation but now I'm like, where is baby.

Was due Thursday. Doc did sweep and said it will be deffo this weekend but nothing is happening. wasn't bothered when I didn't have any expectation but now I'm like, where is baby.

Midwives and doctors should be banned from saying that to women! The midwives told me the same with my first. I was 3 days over at the time and dilated when she did the sweep. She said I’d definitely go in 48 hours and actually made it sound like I’d be lucky to get home! A week later I had to be induced.

bee06 wrote: »
    Midwives and doctors should be banned from saying that to women! The midwives told me the same with my first. I was 3 days over at the time and dilated when she did the sweep. She said I’d definitely go in 48 hours and actually made it sound like I’d be lucky to get home! A week later I had to be induced.

That's how it feels now. Have appointment for next Thursday. Sure he'll come when he feels like it.
    🙄

That's how it feels now. Have appointment for next Thursday. Sure he'll come when he feels like it.
    ��

In exactly the same position!!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Hey blingy,

I suppose it depends on what you’ve been doing last two weeks! If the three of ye have been home and isolating (not working outside the home depending on your job!) and been doing it two weeks you could be fairly confident ye don’t have the virus and your parents can come to mind first baby! Depends on your circumstances

Obviously a sibling or the child’s usual childminder would be another option!

We had my parents lined up but as they are over 70 we then used my brother so is also local! My daughter had never been to their house without me present and I was worried but she had a ball!!! Really enjoyed it! So it was something that stressed me but actually kids are way more resilient then I knew! Also with the restrictions on labour wars only dad won’t be gone too long!

Are any of the above an option?? Like if your parents are the only option there’s nothing else you can do! As long as you don’t have symptoms I’d have them up! If they are happy to come as well

��

I hope u had better luck after yours, I was confident something was happening but pains calmed down again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Hi all , new to the thread but been following ! I was due yesterday with my second baby.

Went into hospital yday evening for pressure down below and itchiness . Midwife did a sweep and said I’m 2cm but cervix is very stretchy. Waters are bulging around baby’s head and she thinks I might go into labour last night!!

Whatever ! Hopes were high - had pretty bad cramps and pressure until I went to sleep last night and then today nothing happened except for my bloody show and a good bit of mucous loss all day , which I’m told is normal after a sweep ? Mild mild cramping too but nothing much although pressure of baby’s head still there when walking

I’ve an Appointment in the midwifes clinic on Wednesday to discuss induction and do another internal I think .
    Has anybody been admitted on the day of your appointment if they think your favourable for an induction or is that even a thing they do ? If the baby’s head is bulging in the waters I’d prefer if they could manually break the waters as the discomfort at this stage is getting unbearable.

Hi all , new to the thread but been following ! I was due yesterday with my second baby.

Went into hospital yday evening for pressure down below and itchiness . Midwife did a sweep and said I’m 2cm but cervix is very stretchy. Waters are bulging around baby’s head and she thinks I might go into labour last night!!

Whatever ! Hopes were high - had pretty bad cramps and pressure until I went to sleep last night and then today nothing happened except for my bloody show and a good bit of mucous loss all day , which I’m told is normal after a sweep ? Mild mild cramping too but nothing much although pressure of baby’s head still there when walking

I’ve an Appointment in the midwifes clinic on Wednesday to discuss induction and do another internal I think .
    Has anybody been admitted on the day of your appointment if they think your favourable for an induction or is that even a thing they do ? If the baby’s head is bulging in the waters I’d prefer if they could manually break the waters as the discomfort at this stage is getting unbearable.

I was 3cm when I had the sweep & had bloody show, musus and cramping for 3 days afterwards but unfortunately didn't come to anything. I think it's normal to have some bleeding etc for up to 3 days after the sweep from what I've researched.

I have another appointment this week in the hospital and will have another sweep if offered but I'm also booked in the following week for induction if it doesn't work so I don't think they would keep u in so soon after your due date if it was only yesterday . Most hospitals are 10-14 days before they would admit you as far as I know. The pressure is extremely uncomfortable fingers crossed u go soon yourself. If u only had the sweep yesterday there is still a good chance it could work for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I was 3cm when I had the sweep & had bloody show, musus and cramping for 3 days afterwards but unfortunately didn't come to anything. I think it's normal to have some bleeding etc for up to 3 days after the sweep from what I've researched.

I have another appointment this week in the hospital and will have another sweep if offered but I'm also booked in the following week for induction if it doesn't work so I don't think they would keep u in so soon after your due date if it was only yesterday . Most hospitals are 10-14 days before they would admit you as far as I know. The pressure is extremely uncomfortable fingers crossed u go soon yourself. If u only had the sweep yesterday there is still a good chance it could work for you.

Thanks for the reply. What hospital are you attending ?
    I think with baby being so low I’m having the strangest thing happen when I do a wee ! I keep feeling a pop . I get excited that it’s my waters but it’s not . I mentioned it yesterday when I was in and the midwife couldn’t say what it was but it’s happened again today and I’m worried that my waters are going to break and I won’t have much time to make it to the hospital .... it genuinely frightens me
    I don’t know what to do about it tbh because I can’t see me ringing up maternity ward to say that and be taken seriously !

Thanks for the reply. What hospital are you attending ?
    I think with baby being so low I’m having the strangest thing happen when I do a wee ! I keep feeling a pop . I get excited that it’s my waters but it’s not . I mentioned it yesterday when I was in and the midwife couldn’t say what it was but it’s happened again today and I’m worried that my waters are going to break and I won’t have much time to make it to the hospital .... it genuinely frightens me
    I don’t know what to do about it tbh because I can’t see me ringing up maternity ward to say that and be taken seriously !

I'm attending Limerick Hospital. I'd definitely ring the hospital and let them know your concerns, you might get through to someone different that could explain the pop you are feeling. I'm sure they have heard of everything before and will be able to advise or if not bring you in to examine how you have progressed since the sweep. At this stage you know if something doesn't feel right yourself and no point staying quiet or being at home concerned when they are there to help. Best of luck with it.

My second started at 4am the morning I was due to go for an induction. I am sure you could ask them could they do an internal, or what do they think about bringing you in. A lot of yoga ball bouncing in the meantime.

To another poster there, on my first the waters went first - there was a very internal pop, but also a little bit of a gush and I remember kind of testing my bladder and thinking I feel like I am weeing...but I am definitely not....but there is liquid.....if that helps :D:D:D The labour continued for about 6 hours after that, so plenty of time.

Also my third - the strangest thing, I was walking the floors with him for about 3 hours,having cramps, and I got fed up, lay down (it was 3am) and there was literally an internal sensation of a "click" ....and it was followed by a very strong contraction, so I knew that was the real thing. It was very bizarre - but I know what you mean.
    If you cannot talk through your contractions, then it's real....

This waiting is killing me. I'm 41+1 today. It was at stage last time around in the evening I went into hospital. Presumed second baby would come earlier.
    Was feeling lots of pressure yesterday evening, had some cramping and stomach was going hard so was hoping it was the start of things but it died down overnight.
    I was hoping for a vbac this time around but the longer this drags on my confidence is waning.
    I've an appointment tomorrow morning which I was hoping I wouldn't need. I'm scheduled for induction / section on Thursday.
    No real point to this post just feeling a bit deflated and want baby here now safely. Getting progressively more anxious about everything!

RMC10 wrote: »
    This waiting is killing me. I'm 41+1 today. It was at stage last time around in the evening I went into hospital. Presumed second baby would come earlier.
    Was feeling lots of pressure yesterday evening, had some cramping and stomach was going hard so was hoping it was the start of things but it died down overnight.
    I was hoping for a vbac this time around but the longer this drags on my confidence is waning.
    I've an appointment tomorrow morning which I was hoping I wouldn't need. I'm scheduled for induction / section on Thursday.
    No real point to this post just feeling a bit deflated and want baby here now safely. Getting progressively more anxious about everything!
    The wait is so tough RMC I think with everything else going on at the moment doesn't make it any easier! The end is very much in sight though, baby will be here very soon. Think how long we've all been pregnant & now just a few days to go! Best of luck with everything, once they all get here safe & sound we'll forget all the waiting :)

I was talking to my sister in law about them breaking your waters. She said if you don't have baby within 24 hours they have to section you which I don't really want. A friend had baby and she said she had bloody show and contractions but no waters broke. Turned out the baby's head was blocking water and they came in labour.

I know there's loads of pressure and everyone is up to ninety with anxiety. I am trying to be confident, the baby will come. The hospital are equipped to deal with everything, you will be ok. Women have babies everyday, we can do it too.

Hi all.

Our baby arrived on Sunday night.

Waters began leaking early on Saturday morning and I went into hospital on Saturday afternoon on account of having a previous section.

Was admitted to the ante natal ward and spent Saturday night there and transferred to the delivery suite on Sunday morning around 10am.

Syntocin drip started at 12 which brought on strong, short contractions, so it was reduced down and eventually stopped.

Got to 6cms by 4pm at which time I requested an epidural. By 8pm I was fully dilated, started pushing at 9pm and baby arrived at 9.36pm weighing 7lb 4oz.

So at least 36 hrs between my waters rupturing and baby being born. I had to have IV antibiotics 18hrs after waters rupturing. Other than that there was no time limit mentioned to me.

Hi all.

Waters began leaking early on Saturday morning and I went into hospital on Saturday afternoon on account of having a previous section.

Was admitted to the ante natal ward and spent Saturday night there and transferred to the delivery suite on Sunday morning around 10am.

Syntocin drip started at 12 which brought on strong, short contractions, so it was reduced down and eventually stopped.

Got to 6cms by 4pm at which time I requested an epidural. By 8pm I was fully dilated, started pushing at 9pm and baby arrived at 9.36pm weighing 7lb 4oz.

So at least 36 hrs between my waters rupturing and baby being born. I had to have IV antibiotics 18hrs after waters rupturing. Other than that there was no time limit mentioned to me.

Congratulations Sprites. I'm delighted for you and you got your vbac too! Enjoy your new arrival and best of luck x

The wait is so tough RMC I think with everything else going on at the moment doesn't make it any easier! The end is very much in sight though, baby will be here very soon. Think how long we've all been pregnant & now just a few days to go! Best of luck with everything, once they all get here safe & sound we'll forget all the waiting :)

Thank you Nickibaby, you're so right. I think I've too much time with my thoughts since being at home and my mind runs away with me!

Also to Sunshine I as far as I know what Larrymickdick is saying re: 24 hours after water breaking is correct. Perhaps clarify that at your next appointment or call the hospital.
    I'm in a similar predicament myself and need to decide tomorrow re: having my waters broken to induce labour or going for elective section, either / or will be happening on Thursday (unless labour starts on it's own between now and then).

• Advertisement

Hi all.

Congratulations delighted for you and your family

Advertisement