Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSI-Z370/i9 9900k build - crazy idea?

Options
  • 08-08-2019 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

My current rig is 10 years old, and while I’ve upgraded RAM, Hardrives, GPU’s I haven’t touched the motherboard or the CPU. Now since I got a good 10 years from my motherboard(and is wasn’t all that special to begin with), I was thinking about dropping a load on money on a MSI-Z370 motherboard, and an Intel i9 9900k. This should get me well into another 10 years of gaming.

Would I be mad to spend that much on MB and CPU?

Also, I wouldn’t be spending stupid money on RAM/GPU’s, however, over time I can upgrade these to more decent units.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

For one, you'd want to be buying Z390. For two, you should get a Gigabyte board instead of MSI.

For three, though you could get a 9900K, you're probably better off going AMD with a Ryzen 3700X & pocketing the €200+ difference for GPU/cooling upgrades.
    Heck, get a 3600X (€465 with X570 motherboard, €360 with X470) - it's more than good enough for gaming, and leaves you with money for silly-tier monitor/GPU upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Do you think it's worth going AMD, as I've always only been Intel.

Absolutely, their CPUs are 95% as good as Intel's now, and in most games you're GPU-limited now.
    E.g. buying Intel will gain you 5-9fps.
    But moving up a tier in GPU will gain you 30-45fps.

And AMD will be sticking to socket AM4 for 1 more year, so in the unlikely event you are CPU-bound, you can upgrade next year without a full rebuild.

So, it would be worth sticking with the AM4, don't like the thoughts of waiting a year?
    Would plan on sinking maybe €800/900 on MB, CPU and cooling. Then a few hundred on RAM, GPU and power supply. Don't need peripherals or harddrives.

Might need a bigger case, and HAF922 case is big enough, but not big enough for a E-ATX MB. Most high end Motherboards are E-ATX.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    So, it would be worth sticking with the AM4, don't like the thoughts of waiting a year?
    Would plan on sinking maybe €800/900 on MB, CPU and cooling. Then a few hundred on RAM, GPU and power supply. Don't need peripherals or harddrives.

Might need a bigger case, and HAF922 case is big enough, but not big enough for a E-ATX MB. Most high end Motherboards are E-ATX.

800/900 would put you in 3900x territory. You could easily get this which would help future proofing as long as possible but as the previous poster said you would be better off with AMD's similar 8c16t cpu and using the rest for a gpu.

The only reason to upgrade to 9900k is if you only game on the system and you upgrade often.
    If I was only gaming I would get a 9900k as I upgrade every year so I would just change off it before its an issue.
    With gaming/work/anything else combo AMD is always a better option at the moment.

• Advertisement

The PC will be used for only gaming and live streaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Wait a few weeks and get a 3950x AMD CPU and mobo, 16 cores and faster clocks than the 3900x that already equals the 9900k. Live streaming will appreciate the extra cores a little

I too am an intel guy but you just cannot ignore AMD at the moment.

Lord Nikon wrote: »

I think your mindset is also stuck 10 years in the past ;)
    ATX motherboards are good now.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£319.99 @ CCL Computers)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock TF 2 CPU Cooler (£49.52 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard (£208.93 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3400 Memory (£81.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: be quiet! Silent Base 601 ATX Mid Tower Case (£109.75 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: RIOTORO ENIGMA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£82.41 @ CCL Computers)
    Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 140 61.2 CFM 140 mm Fan (£11.40 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £863.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-09 12:10 BST+0100

Add a GPU & you're golden.
    If you want to spend more money, the 12-core 3900X is shipping in the next month (some stores already have it).

Advertisement