Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for cordless strimmer

Options
  • 08-08-2019 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi,

Have been using a Proplus petrol strimmer for the last three years but fed up with consistent repairs and servicing costs. Fairly large, sloped area to cut, any cordless strimmer reccomended to do the job? Thanks

Comments

Moved to gardening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Fiftyplus wrote: »
    Hi,

Have been using a Proplus petrol strimmer for the last three years but fed up with consistent repairs and servicing costs. Fairly large, sloped area to cut, any cordless strimmer reccomended to do the job? Thanks

I’ve an efco petrol strimmer... bought from a small engine sales and repairs shop. Never a bother with it and starts easy. Only regret is not getting one with the handle bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭paulbok

Going to follow this, looking to get a battery powered strimmer for the lighter stuff. The petrol strimmer pulls on the back after an hour or so.
    Thinking of something along the lines of a Ryobi One + system, so can add other tools using the same batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I had a battery one before. Think it was b&d
    I wouldn’t bother again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Bought a battery powered Stihl strimmer earlier this year, together with a Stihl mulching mower and a Stihl hedge trimmer. All three share the same battery. I specifically went for the newest (and largest capacity) internal battery, the AP300S, and the fastest charger, the AL500. The whole lot wasn’t cheap, but I am very pleased with the results. The machines are well designed, being lightweight, robust and easily cleaned. The machines are every bit as good as their petrol equivalents and much quieter - this is important as I have good neighbours and need to be able to use them at odd hours. And I can get the grass strimmed and cut and the hedges/shrubs trimmed from a single charge. Still is not cheap, but the quality of the product is evident and I'd happily recommend it based on my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Hibernicis wrote: »
    The machines are every bit as good as their petrol equivalents and much quieter.
    Also, working in a cloud of 2-stroke oily fumes can't be good for your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Stihl system is good but extremely expensive. I considered it twice, for a Combi & a Blower, but I couldn't justify the cost. Lots of people are using them commercially which helps as the cost can be offset.

I have also been looking for a light battery strimmer but so far, I haven't found anything to suit.

Good choice & lots of reviews here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=battery+strimmer&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

• Registered Users Posts: 33 deccydohc

Discodog wrote: »
    The Stihl system is good but extremely expensive. I considered it twice, for a Combi & a Blower, but I couldn't justify the cost. Lots of people are using them commercially which helps as the cost can be offset.

I have also been looking for a light battery strimmer but so far, I haven't found anything to suit.

Good choice & lots of reviews here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=battery+strimmer&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

The main thing to consider is the battery life. How long do you spend strimming?

deccydohc wrote: »
    The main thing to consider is the battery life. How long do you spend strimming?

Oh I would only use it occasionally. I have a Stihl Combi for most strimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 deccydohc

Discodog wrote: »
    Oh I would only use it occasionally. I have a Stihl Combi for most strimming.

If you are looking for light work, STIHL's FSA45 is a good machine. It has a built in battery and has a battery life of up to 20 mins. Think its around €130

• Advertisement

deccydohc wrote: »
    If you are looking for light work, STIHL's FSA45 is a good machine. It has a built in battery and has a battery life of up to 20 mins. Think its around €130

Yes I looked at that but it uses polycut blades instead of line. Plus with no removable battery I would have to bring the whole thing in every night.

Advertisement