Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming Spots near Swords (outdoor)

Options
  • 08-08-2019 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

I'm new to Swords, living near Fingallion GAA club. I'm just wondering where would be a good spot to go for a swim? I've been going to Howth but there must be somewhere nearer, Portmarnock maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

Outdoor - I find Donabate nice.
    Indoor - Gym Plus has a pool. (Applewood)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pflano

Yep, Portmarnock (Velvet Strand), Malahide and Portrane/Donabate - whilst not as close as Portmarnock it's a 15 minute drive from Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

CWF wrote: »
    I'm new to Swords, living near Fingallion GAA club. I'm just wondering where would be a good spot to go for a swim? I've been going to Howth but there must be somewhere nearer, Portmarnock maybe?

Welcome to swords
    It is the best place.

You dont specify where its a pool or the sea.

Pool wise
    Alsaa at the airport
    Ballymum community gym (which i use)
    Gymplus in applewood (you need to join)

Sea swimming
    Skerries
    Low rock between malahide and portmarnock
    (Maybe others but thats places i go)

But also you have beaches in
    Porrmarnock
    Donabate
    Skerries

Where you can swim also.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Portmarnock
    Donabate
    Rush -swimming platform off the back of the harbour wall.North and South beaches otherwise.
    Skerries-two swimming platforms on either side of the Red Island headland.One is tidal.There is also a beach.

If you are a strong swimmer and interested, there is a Leinster open sea swimming facebook page-they advertise swimming events in the sea at places like Low Rock in Portmarnock etc.Clontarf baths are also open, although I am not sure whether they open to the public, or what way they work??Maybe someone could confirm??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭CWF

Yeah outdoor/sea is what I'm looking for just a casual swim for 15 mins. I'll try Portrane beach, be less kids there than Velvet Stand in Portmarnock I'd say. Thanks everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Tower Bay in Portrane is a good spot as you dont have to walk out for miles to get depth, especially if the tide is in. Can be a bit wild but gets you wetter quicker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭CWF

I'll go there next time. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Tower Bay can have riptides IIRC so be careful if you're heading up there.

Advertisement