Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Cheats] Online PVP FPS Games, could you be arsed?

• 08-08-2019 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

/Old person rant.

I have realised the last few months I have subconciously abstained from playing PVP games on PC simply due to other players cheating. I was informed of this by my casual gaming buddies.

I have "all the games" on PC for good PVP FPS* and somehow stopped playing them earlier in the year, I used to fcuking love them and not give a **** about being killed by ZhangXXIVIVIVIVIV who was playing on a different server probably in a different game ....but fcuk it he killed me and earned it.

At some point I literally could not be arsed playing a game that doesnt have a level playing field and started playing more PVE games simply because they rewarded time played over skill** Which is also ****.

I do miss playing them but if I sit at the PC to play a game and scroll through the games I have...I literally think fcuk it cant be arsed with flying cars or lads running at me deployable shields on their heads.

*R6S, PUBG, BFV, COD27?,Squad,Hell let Loose, Rising Storm.

**Destiny2, Div2, 7dtd,Arma 3.

Probably missed some games but point remains i am old and cba playing against someone who sees me from a different fcuking server.

Comments

The reason i stopped playing PUBG which i used to love. Getting head shotted from across the map....No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

Cheating is still rare enough, wouldn't let the odd experience ruin it for you. I play a lot of Apex and there are definitely cheaters, but they are very rare in the overall scheme of things. Maybe get a blatant one on my team or be killed by one, roughly 1 in 20 games or so.

The mindset of cheaters baffles me. Why do they do it, what's the point, what do you get out of it. A few easy wins before you are banned. Respawn have a good approach to Apex, if you are caught cheating you get a hardware based account ban, so new accounts will also not work unless you change certain hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah it defo sucks but as Homelander said, its pretty rare on the grand scheme of things, i very rarely encountered hackers in apex or in pubg when i played.

I think Apex, when they catch cheaters, they have started just filtering those that cheat into the same servers away from others so they are just constantly hacking against other hackers, much better than banning tbh as it will likely take them awhile to realise it.. :D

Don't let it get you down, just report, shrug it off and next game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I used to be fine with it but think having less gaming time is probably an issue, if I am going to play a game I am not playing a game where some fcuker nails me from 3 miles away with a handgun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

While the cheats situation is specific to a given game, I can only recall one obvious cheater in one game over the last 10 years or more, and that was an aimbotter in Battlefield V.

In something like World of Tanks, where mass bans are done with names being made public, it was noted that they all maintained poor stats. Cheats didn't prove to be a replacement for skills such as proper understanding of mechanics or spatial awareness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

CS:GO it's rampant although never really put me off the game. Just lost interest.

Battlefield games it's reasonably common. Haven't played in a while, started it up a week ago and at least twice in the short period I played we'd a machine gunner headshotting left right and centre across the map.

The Division when it released is the only game I've played where cheaters made me stop playing. Couldn't cope with the mess that was the dark zone. By the time they started to try and deal with the situation it was too late for me and I'd moved on.

Overwatch is my current game and it's hard to spot hacking there given the difference in characters etc. I've only seen one cheater once who was a tracer that had a centre of mass auto lock. Was blatant and I reckon they were banned based on the pop up I got a week or so later.

ANyway it's frustrating but what can you do? You just have to suck it up and move on unfortunately because it's never likely to be stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The rise of popularity of mice with onboard memory has lead to a massive increase in specific types of cheating in fps games, especially battle Royale games.
    The ability to load a profile on the mouse that automatically compensates for recoil or even to click faster when using a DRM is being exploited massively within certain games and is almost impossible to detect or stop.

This is exactly why I play FPS multiplayer on console, get yourself an Xbox One X. Sure, you get cheaters there too using keyboard\mouse but personally I don't believe it gives them the advantage they think it does. Maybe it gives a boost to someone who is crap with a controller but no huge advantage other than that imo.

The rise of popularity of mice with onboard memory has lead to a massive increase in specific types of cheating in fps games, especially battle Royale games.
    The ability to load a profile on the mouse that automatically compensates for recoil or even to click faster when using a DRM is being exploited massively within certain games and is almost impossible to detect or stop.
    Fair enough, but that's leagues away from actual aimbot/wallhack cheaters.

Obviously recoil compensation and whatever will give them an advantage, borderline cheating to some, but it won't make or break good players really, so I can live with it.

Homelander wrote: »
    Fair enough, but that's leagues away from actual aimbot/wallhack cheaters.

Obviously recoil compensation and whatever will give them an advantage, borderline cheating to some, but it won't make or break good players really, so I can live with it.

In FPS games with large maps like say PUBG or RoE the ability to spray people from 200 metres at full auto and have no recoil is a massive advantage, there's nothing borderline about it, it's cheating.

• Advertisement

In FPS games with large maps like say PUBG or RoE the ability to spray people from 200 metres at full auto and have no recoil is a massive advantage, there's nothing borderline about it, it's cheating.
    I do get it for sure, but it won't overcome game sense, tactical play, etc. Don't get me wrong, I agree entirely, it's a radically unfair advantage.

But nothing like aimbotting.

Homelander wrote: »
    I do get it for sure, but it won't overcome game sense, tactical play, etc. Don't get me wrong, I agree entirely, it's a radically unfair advantage.

But nothing like aimbotting.

yeah I get ya. Compared to aimbotting/spinbotting or wall hacking in closer games like R6 Siege or CS:GO it doesn't have the same level of "oh **** this guy" rage inducement, but I still hates it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i remember playing a battle field game online on the pc and about 10 of us stood around a guy stabbing and shooting him, he never did die. but we did.

Advertisement