Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conference pear trees - espalier?

Options
  • 09-08-2019 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I have a few conference pear trees which are maybe five or six years old. I initially planted them as bare-root saplings in a location I later found wasn't very suitable - sloped ground which turned out to be particularly vulnerable to strong gusts of wind. So I transplanted them a few years ago to where they currently are, which is flat ground and somewhat more sheltered. However, I then came to realise that I'd planted them too close together, only about 2.5-3m apart, so I think they'd benefit from having a bit more space. And due to an excessive burden of outdoor work they are among the items I've ended up neglecting over the past couple of years - I never tried pruning them and since being relocated they've barely grown any taller (now between 1.5-1.8m) and have ended up with quite long and straggly branches which are incapable of properly supporting any fruit, meaning it doesn't grow to a proper size. They actually did reasonably well the first autumn after being transplanted but haven't progressed since.

I know they've ended up like this mainly due to my neglect and I'd really like to give them a better chance. I recently started putting in a long 2.2m fence and was wondering whether come October they'd be suitable for transplanting a second time and growing against that as an espalier. They would be on the south-west facing side and so get direct sunlight from mid/late-morning to sunset all year round. Their branches are generally quite long (1.5-2m) but mostly barely thicker than twigs and are still very flexible. Is there a reasonable chance of success, or is it just too late in their development to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭mr chips

I don't, unfortunately - tbh those trees could have been Lidl's finest! I got five or six saplings out of there one time, including a couple of apples. Would a photo make any difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Espalier is worth a try, but I would not bother transplanting any of them. If they are dwarf after 6 years then they are on a dwarf rootstock, so your spacing is OK for the purposes. Pears are a bit hit and miss in our climate. I've seen apples grown as espalier and it worked well.

Advertisement