Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nora Quoirin. [Read mod note in post #1 - updated 14/08]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

She isn't non verbal, she has limited communication and speaks both French and English.

Interesting as in some of the papers it states she is non verbal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

spurious wrote: »
    The British were there into the 20th Century, weren't they? So organisationally, I would expect the mechanism of government/policing to be pretty good.
    They seem to have a fairly well developed special needs education system, though like here, the trend would be towards integration in 'standard' schools.

just to correct a typing error - I meant "or at least it was when I was there".

So as a nation they don't have a backwards view of special needs which is good, but with Nóra having physical limitations as well as other needs then this makes it very very unlikely she is in the jungle. Even if she managed to get outside and was attacked by an animal there would be evidence on the path and around where the scent ends. And there is only so far that an animal would take here. They had experts and experience locals in the search party who could see the results of an animal near the scene or an animal attack.They'd also be able to follow the trail of a child who struggles to walk.

This means that the more likely possibility is that it is a kidnapping. So didn't the police pursue that from the start?

It is very confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

khalessi wrote: »

I did see that in some reports too but the family gofundme page seems to say otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Its terrible sad if she was in new surroundings why did some body sleep in the room with her, we have to do it with a brother of mine when he is in a strange place or thunder or lightning freaks him out he is down syndrome you just cant let your guard down or when the weather is very hot he gets wrestles. You hope for the family there will be a good outcome but at this stage you have to be very worried.

Childhood disability in Malaysia: a study of knowledge, attitudes and practices
    https://www.unicef.org/mal
    aysia/Final_File_Childhood
    _Disability_in_Malaysia_Bo
    ok
    aysia/resources_publication
    s_children-with- disabilities.html

This study published in 2017 shows a lack of understanding

And this https://www.star2.com/people/2017/11/21/disability-prejudice-malaysia/ is one mans experience of growing up with disablitiy in Malaysia

Make of them what you will. I am sure a study could be produced similarly in Ireland

• Advertisement

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Its terrible sad if she was in new surroundings why did some body sleep in the room with her, we have to do it with a brother of mine when he is in a strange place or thunder or lightning freaks him out he is down syndrome you just cant let your guard down or when the weather is very hot he gets wrestles. You hope for the family there will be a good outcome but at this stage you have to be very worried.

She was in a bedroom with her two siblings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

taking into account the mobility issues then the fact she had no shoes on, and just night clothes, its all very strange

I'm completely baffled myself.

I find it very hard to imagine an intruder broke into the place to kidnap her. It seems way too far fetched. But the fact she's missing and cannot be located is just downright bizarre.

I just hope she is found soon so scary for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Has there been anymore updates or clues on her disappearance? Its very strange how nothing else has been found, either theyre not divulging evidence to the media or theyre not searching properly. Have no forensics been done at all? I read somewhere last week that they found finger prints in the room and footsteps in the jungle but nothing more was said about it.

Well they got a shaman who said a genie adopted her as a stepdaughter

• Advertisement

I do recall a mean of it on RTÉ

Maybe it was an early belief and some media sites are simply not updating that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Would being non-verbal mean she couldn't call out for help or in surprise at all?

No not at all. My daughter was non verbal for a long time but she could still give out. Even non verbal children communicate but they just use alternative methods such as gesture, leading by hand or devices. Also in many cases close family members understand them well while strangers may struggle. My daughter has a Communication device & an alphabet board to help her communicate with non familiar people

I did see that in some reports too but the family gofundme page seems to say otherwise.

I just read that they raised nearly a €100,000

Why isn't that the reward offer? No one is going to be able to resist that much.

Well they got a shaman who said a genie adopted her as a stepdaughter

WTF? :eek:

I did read something about them taking local folklore quite seriously and something they wearnt ruling out.
    I cant imagine the frustration of the parents having to listen to police - the people in charge of finding their missing, special needs child, seriously talk about genies, shamans and witchcraft. All the while the poor child is either lost in the jungle or in the hands of very twisted people.

I did read something about them taking local folklore quite seriously and something they wearnt ruling out.
    I cant imagine the frustration of the parents having to listen to police - the people in charge of finding their missing, special needs child, seriously talk about genies, shamans and witchcraft. All the while the poor child is either lost in the jungle or in the hands of very twisted people.

I know tis crazy

Talk about all avenues covered

The locals do believe the mountain has a spirit so maybe to placate locals also paper rarely refuses ink, could be pure bs

Would being non-verbal mean she couldn't call out for help or in surprise at all?

Non verbal usually just means a lack of language skills, people who are non verbal can still shout, scream and use their voices, they often express themselves verbally though grunts, laughing, noises and screaming if upset or frustrated.

Has there been anymore updates or clues on her disappearance? Its very strange how nothing else has been found, either theyre not divulging evidence to the media or theyre not searching properly. Have no forensics been done at all? I read somewhere last week that they found finger prints in the room and footsteps in the jungle but nothing more was said about it.

I heard that and apparently they rounded up some resort staff and the driver who brought the family to the resort.

I read no more so I assumed there was no match found.

I've been praying that there is more going on than the police are saying and hat maybe they have been letting the jungle search take the public spotlight while they are investigating a kidnapping too. Unfortunately I think that is just too many movies and cop shows on my part given unrealistic expectations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

It’s awful story I can’t stop thinking of that poor girl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

No its true, there were photos of the Shamen going into a trance.

Imagine the poor family in turmoul and having to put up with that.

Though it could be a way for the Police to connect with locals and get more intell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

I just had a look at the pictures of the resort from the TripAdvisor link posted above and I am more baffled than I was before.

I just can't understand how she could have been either taken or wandered off without waking up anyone.
    Would it be beyond possibilty that the family, parents included were somehow drugged...perhaps by an employee or someone similar? Now that I type it, I know I sound absolutely ridiculous, sorry.
    But whenever I'm not in my own bed, even if it's a lovely 3 or 4 star hotel, id never sleep soundly, especially on the first night. From the pictures it would have been extremely difficult for an abductor...or Nora by herself, to not make noise. I suppose the long flight would cause them to sleep soundly. I just don't know, I'm stabbing in the dark here as everything at this stage just seems so unlikely, yet the poor girl is still missing.

I'm hoping for a breakthrough soon. Can't imagine how the poor family is at this stage.

• Advertisement

Perhaps theyve joined the search to assist using their spiritual beliefs but arent being taken seriously within the investigation, the same often happens here with 'psychics'.

I saw the headline on the Irish Sun website and I wouldn't put it past them to be making that up for clickbait.

Anyway, even if it is actually something that a shaman said it doesn't mean that this is what the police believe or are telling the parents. He is just a local mystic who genuinely bevies it or thinks it will give comfort to the family. Just a harmless local character.

I know if it was my child I would be willing to try everything and anything.
    It's not taking away from the operation of sniffer dogs, volunteers, hikers, search and rescue teams and police - hundreds of people looking for her.

anewme wrote: »
    No its true, there were photos of the Shamen going into a trance.

Imagine the poor family in turmoul and having to put up with that.

Though it could be a way for the Police to connect with locals and get more intell.

Okay so the shaman really made the claim but that doesn't mean the police believe it or that they'd say it to the family.

I said early it is harmless but maybe not for the family but hopefully they are able to ignore it or use it somehow.

I know if it was my child I would be willing to try everything and anything.
    It's not taking away from the operation of sniffer dogs, volunteers, hikers, search and rescue teams and police - hundreds of people looking for her.

Thats very true, hopefully they find some information soon.

Well however they do it i hope the family get news soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Childhood disability in Malaysia: a study of knowledge, attitudes and practices
    aysia/Final_File_Childhood
    _Disability_in_Malaysia_Bo
    ok
    aysia/resources_publication
    s_children-with- disabilities.html

This study published in 2017 shows a lack of understanding

And this https://www.star2.com/people/2017/11/21/disability-prejudice-malaysia/ is one mans experience of growing up with disablitiy in Malaysia

Make of them what you will. I am sure a study could be produced similarly in Ireland

The first two links you posted didn’t open but the third did and didn’t show a great understanding of people with special needs in Malaysia. I’m not that surprised at all, we here in Ireland (from what I have read previously) are way ahead of many many countries. Places like Mary Immaculate College in Limeriick.

I just had a look at the pictures of the resort from the TripAdvisor link posted above and I am more baffled than I was before.

I just can't understand how she could have been either taken or wandered off without waking up anyone.
    Would it be beyond possibilty that the family, parents included were somehow drugged...perhaps by an employee or someone similar? Now that I type it, I know I sound absolutely ridiculous, sorry.
    But whenever I'm not in my own bed, even if it's a lovely 3 or 4 star hotel, id never sleep soundly, especially on the first night. From the pictures it would have been extremely difficult for an abductor...or Nora by herself, to not make noise. I suppose the long flight would cause them to sleep soundly. I just don't know, I'm stabbing in the dark here as everything at this stage just seems so unlikely, yet the poor girl is still missing.

I'm hoping for a breakthrough soon. Can't imagine how the poor family is at this stage.

I wondered myself if it was possible that the family were drugged but also thought I was being ridiculous.

I'm not familiar with drugs or such but it did happen to me once years ago. Nothing happened to me, thank goodness, but I when I woke up I knew something was wrong and didn't take me long to figure out it wasn't booze. I know there are different kinds of drugs with different effects but wouldn't the parents have known something was wrong? Or is it possible to be drugged and never know?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

The shaman is no better or worse than a priest saying mass and using incense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

but wouldn't the parents have known something was wrong? Or is it possible to be drugged and never know?

That's true actually. I'm sure it would have been very hard not to notice if you were drugged. Unless it was sleeping pills or something similar perhaps? I don't know.

Advertisement