Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nora Quoirin. [Read mod note in post #1 - updated 14/08]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Aceso wrote: »
    I've just heard on the radio (2fm) that her body was found "naked". Not sure if that has been confirmed as nobody here appears to have mentioned it.

Does it f***ing matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Aceso wrote: »
    I've just heard on the radio (2fm) that her body was found "naked". Not sure if that has been confirmed as nobody here appears to have mentioned it.
    I mentioned it a few posts back and I also mentioned that the police press conference said there was a crime scene. I was listening to the press conference on the radio.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

One of the news bulletins, I think it was RTÉ, described how someone approached some soldiers and alerted them that they had found a body.

Maybe this was the “tip off” they’re referring to in the article above and that it’s just badly written- however, the way the article is worded, Im reading it as there was a tip off and that resulted in the rescuers finding of the body- that’s somewhat different. Coupled with the story of a volunteer, “Shirley”, stating they were going as a group to a waterfall- that again is a little strange. Hopefully they’ll do another press conference soon and confirm the exact details of how she was found.

Yeah, now I am reading the body was found at 1:57pm, which was the time I had previously read the phonecall came through.So obviously they are all getting details mixed up.I really hope it was an accident, and that there were no third parties involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm not sure the body being found naked has any huge significance. Don't victims of hypothermia often feel too hot towards the end, and take off their clothes? Or she could have taken them off while sleepwalking, or for whatever reason she might have taken them off to go into water. Lots of reasons that don't necessarily indicate anything sinister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Daily mail also saying that she was found in an area which was previously searched which could imply that someone moved her there. Of course the stream could have moved her along from somewhere else.

I dont think you can presume foul play because she was naked as it would have been very warm and when you're disorientated anything can happen. My 5 year old occasionally takes his clothes off during the night and has no memory of it the next day.

I really hope for her family that this was an accident, they must be going through hell without adding the thought that someone would intentionally hurt her.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I'm not sure the body being found naked has any huge significance. Don't victims of hypothermia often feel too hot towards the end, and take off their clothes? Or she could have taken them off while sleepwalking, or for whatever reason she might have taken them off to go into water. Lots of reasons that don't necessarily indicate anything sinister.

No chance of hypothermia where she was, anyway, all speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Aceso

The fact that the police referred to the place she was found as a "crime scene" and the fact that she was found naked just makes me wonder if there is a sinister reason behind her disappearance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

xalot wrote: »
    Daily mail also saying that she was found in an area which was previously searched which could imply that someone moved her there. Of course the stream could have moved her along from somewhere else.

I dont think you can presume foul play because she was naked as it would have been very warm and when you're disorientated anything can happen. My 5 year old occasionally takes his clothes off during the night and has no memory of it the next day.

I really hope for her family that this was an accident, they must be going through hell without adding the thought that someone would intentionally hurt her.

Yes, from the earlier descriptions during the week, Nora had very little clothing on her back at the cottage and it seems she didn't get dressed before leaving. It doesn't necessarily follow there is a sinister reason for her being without clothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

venusdoom wrote: »
    Heartbreaking. It's on the main page of the dailymail that she was found naked by a volunteer hiker. I read the area was previously searched and volunteers do not know how they would have missed it. It does look like foul play. RIP Nora and heartfelt condolences to her family and friends.

Very strange that she was only 2.4km from the chalets but it took 9 days to find her. They've said she is in a very difficult place to access which would suggest steep terrain. I still would have expected them to find her sooner with the dogs they were using, if she was there on the first sweep its bizarre they didnt find her. I hope theres not something more sinister afoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Re: steep terrain.

If the resort is lower than the site where the body was found, there is no way she would have been able to make her way to that site on hero own power, based on the mentioned mobility issues.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Very strange that she was only 2.4km from the chalets but it took 9 days to find her. They've said she is in a very difficult place to access which would suggest steep terrain. I still would have expected them to find her sooner with the dogs they were using, if she was there on the first sweep its bizarre they didnt find her. I hope theres not something more sinister afoot.

Dogs can only smell up to two meters ahead of a scent, so they may have got to an area where the scent dropped off. Don't read too much in to your theory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

May she rest in peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Muahahaha wrote: »

A circle with a radius of 2.4km is just over 18 square kilometers, which, coupled with poor terrain could mean that someone could be missed quite easily.

RIP to the poor girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

The poor angel. We can only hope at this stage that it was quick for her, without prolonged suffering and fear. The family can now bring her home, have some closure and begin to grieve. If there was another party involved in her death, hopefully they will be found and dealt with swiftly by the Malaysian authorities. I believe there is a mandatory death sentence for such crimes there.

Condolences to Nóra's family and loved ones at this appallingly difficult time.

There's what looks like a water treatment plant - accessible by road - approx 1km from where she was found. Pretty much halfway between the resort and waterfall.

There's a road indirectly linking her resort and this treatment plant. You'd surely walk it in 30 mins. I assume it gets dense or hilly from there on but you're already halfway to the waterfall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Does it f***ing matter?

Well, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Just think about it. IF there was foul play involved, and IF the body was moved to that location. Firstly, it would take a number of people to get it there, and secondly, why would anyone feel the need to move it that far into the undergrowth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

venusdoom wrote: »
    Heartbreaking. It's on the main page of the dailymail that she was found naked by a volunteer hiker. I read the area was previously searched and volunteers do not know how they would have missed it. It does look like foul play. RIP Nora and heartfelt condolences to her family and friends.

Daily mail is the worst of the worst when it comes to creating scare headlines.

They were excluded from the Anna kriegel trial because of their made up conclusions.

In Kuala Lumpur it is hot and humid all day and night at this time of year.

At best someone is wearing a very light top at night.

Rather than feed into the tabloid rubbish, allow time for post mortem results and think of the extended family and friends.
    That's something tabloids esp daily mail don't do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

The poor family. I hope there was no foul play involved. Hate to think about how fearful her last hours were. At least they have her body to bury and some closure but that's not much consolation to them. God love her and her family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

doylefe wrote: »
    Well, yes.

In the context of this thread, it doesn't. The sheer amount of whataboutery here is staggering. Too many pro Take A Break sleuths on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

In the context of this thread, it doesn't. The sheer amount of whataboutery here is staggering. Too many pro Take A Break sleuths on here.

What's the context of the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Poor kid. At least they’ve found her now, the best of a terrible situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A circle with a radius of 2.4km is just over 18 square kilometers, which, coupled with poor terrain could mean that someone could be missed quite easily.

RIP to the poor girl.
    Indeed. Map out a 2.4 km radius from your current position. For me that covers basically the entirety of South-Central Dublin from Ranelagh to the M50, and Templeogue to Goatstown.

Now imagine that area is almost entirely forest. Even an adult in their full faculties could get lost for days in such a scenario.

It's a testament to the dedication of the search volunteers that she was found at all.

I can only image the hell her parents have gone through for the last week. While this is not an outcome any parent wants, at least now they have her, they can be spared the unbearable torment of not knowing.

Heartbreaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

poor child. at least she was found. rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Aceso

What's Take A Break?

(before someone jumps down my throat, I'm just trying to figure out what this comment is supposed to mean)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Terribly sad news.......can't fathom what her poor family must be going through. R.I.P :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Eddie B wrote: »
    Just think about it. IF there was foul play involved, and IF the body was moved to that location. Firstly, it would take a number of people to get it there, and secondly, why would anyone feel the need to move it that far into the undergrowth?
    Why would it take a number of people to carry out what now appears to be an abduction and murder? One individual with a detailed knowledge of the area could be responsible. That is what happened, clearly. Somebody managed to take her from her room without disturbing the other members of the family. I don't believe for one moment she ventured out of her own accord.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Why would it take a number of people to carry out what now appears to be an abduction and murder? One individual with a detailed knowledge of the area could be responsible. That is what happened, clearly. Somebody managed to take her from her room without disturbing the other members of the family. I don't believe for one moment she ventured out of her own accord.

Speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

seamus wrote: »
    Indeed. Map out a 2.4 km radius from your current position. For me that covers basically the entirety of South-Central Dublin from Ranelagh to the M50, and Templeogue to Goatstown.

Now imagine that area is almost entirely forest. Even an adult in their full faculties could get lost for days in such a scenario.

It's a testament to the dedication of the search volunteers that she was found at all.

I wouldn't quite agree - big difference between 1½ miles radius in an urban environment and a forest, even a jungle. If a people got lost in very dense vegetation, that would be difficult to search. But most people will follow tracks, paths or easier passages through difficult terrain - just because that is physically easier and less painful to do. Unless they fall into somewhere inaccessible or are put there, they should be on ground that a large body of 200+ searchers should have found previously. It's all a bit odd, more questions than answers.

Advertisement