Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nora Quoirin. [Read mod note in post #1 - updated 14/08]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

mazwell wrote: »
    There are no similarities to Madeleine McCann that I can see, apart from they are both British girls with an Irish parent/grandparent who went missing on holiday in a foreign country.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but nora is not a 4 year old child left alone with her 1 year old siblings while her parents went out for the night (no matter what Madeleine McCann theory you go with that fact can't be disputed).
    Nora is a 15 year old who went to bed in the same apartment as her parents, and has disappeared. No matter the outcome and we are all praying she will be found safe and well, it is not comparable to leaving a child alone, and Nora's parents are not to blame

Any chance Mods just deleting all Mccann references ?

It has nothing whatsoever to do with with this story despite the tinfoil hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I have obviously hit a nerve for some here.

Your McCann obsession is weird creepy and disturbing. It’s less hitting a nerve at this stage??..more that it’s unnerving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Bringing up the Portuguese case in relation to this missing child is absolutely despicable and extremely insensitive.
    Have a bit of respect for Nora’s family who may see these crackpot conspiracy musings, ffs.
    The family are going through enough without baseless claims being casually thrown around. Your words have consequences!!!

Absolutely no similarities with the two cases at all and they shouldn’t even be discussed in the same thread.

We must be listening to completely different news interviews. Every correspondent I've come across, on TV or radio, has been saying quite the opposite.

You and me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Jesus. Shut the **** up about that case. Its not relevant. Shut up !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

From the Go fund Me page the family seem to be thinking it is an abduction. Given 7 days of searching and the trail going cold 100m from the bedroom Im feeling the same. She wasnt likely to get very far in a dense and dark rain forest in a few hours and theyve had 300+ people out searching for her every day.

Some were saying at the top of the thread that abduction is unlikely is such a remote place. Would think its more likely for the crime of abduction myself, remote areas dont have CCTV and have less chance of police checkpoints than urban areas.

I hate to say this but the reality is paedophile rings do exist and they do abduct children into captivity. Its become very dangerous for them to groom online so they find other ways to carry out their sick perversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,856 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Muahahaha wrote: »
    From the Go fund Me page the family seem to be thinking it is an abduction. Given 7 days of searching and the trail going cold 100m from the bedroom Im feeling the same. She wasnt likely to get very far in a dense and dark rain forest in a few hours and theyve had 300+ people out searching for her every day.

Some were saying at the top of the thread that abduction is unlikely is such a remote place. Would think its more likely for the crime of abduction myself, remote areas dont have CCTV and have less chance of police checkpoints than urban areas.

I hate to say this but the reality is paedophile rings do exist and they do abduct children into captivity. Its become very dangerous for them to groom online so they find other ways to carry out their sick perversion.

It definitely cannot be ruled out but I'd still be inclined to think it's least likely explanation. Given Nora's vulnerability and the hostile terrain right beside the place, you'd have to fear she simply wandered off and perhaps had an accident.

Yeah she could also have fallen into a river but even with that it just seems very strange that she hasnt been found yet. Not sure what time she was last seen but she was discovered missing at 8am. Given dense rain forest it would be hard to cover more than 2km an hour through that and thats not even allowing for the darkness of night. In other words she cant have gone far yet they still havent found her.

Yeah she could also have fallen into a river but even with that it just seems very strange that she hasnt been found yet. Not sure what time she was last seen but she was discovered missing at 8am. Given dense rain forest it would be hard to cover more than 2km an hour through that and thats not even allowing for the darkness of night. In other words she cant have gone far yet they still havent found her.

The undergrowth in the forest though seems wild and very deep (waist high). We saw pictures of soldiers trying to hack through it with scythes. I think if she's there, she must be near the villa where she was staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I cant understand why she would wander off on her own in a dense forest in the middle of the night, special needs or not she's not stupid. If she got a fright or felt uncomfortable in a new place would she not have gone into her parents? Surely she wouldnt have put herself in an even more uncomfortable and frightening situation.
    Its a bit strange that they would rule out abduction on the only basis that the area is remote, theres very sick people out there that get paid allot of money to find and abduct children and some very sick individuals get pleasure seeing vulnerable people hurt and scared, with no cctv in the area and the apartment seemingly easy enough to get into - Nora had difficulty with fine motor skills, couldnt do up buttons and would have difficulty opening locks on doors etc, if she could easily get out, someone could easily get in.
    The recording of her mothers voice that they played into the jungle sounded like it was recorded on a toaster, they could have easily made a clear recording and hooked it up to a speaker. I also read in a news article that Malaysian police are considering that 'mystical forces' may have something to do with her disappearance.
    The poor child doesnt stand a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Witchie wrote: »
    Strazdas wrote: »
    The fact that she has special needs and had only just arrived in the resort makes me wonder is she was spooked by her new surroundings and wandered off into the rain forest.

Or saw a cute monkey/bird and followed it.

Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

splinter65 wrote: »
    I think Nora woke, became disorientated quickly, went to look for her mother and panicked and went out the window.
    I don’t think she got very far and I think she’s quite near the house but she’s sadly died. I believe she’s non verbal and couldn’t call for help.
    I hope they find her soon if only to stop the trolls and loons from starting on her parents for years and years.
    splinter65 wrote: »
    I think Nora woke, became disorientated quickly, went to look for her mother and panicked and went out the window.
    I don’t think she got very far and I think she’s quite near the house but she’s sadly died. I believe she’s non verbal and couldn’t call for help.
    I hope they find her soon if only to stop the trolls and loons from starting on her parents for years and years.

Why would you think any of this? Do you know her?

Really hope shes found, can't imagine what her family are suffering through

Nora's mother has spoken in public for the first time :

https://twitter.com/sumishanaidu/status/1160016541909262336

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Lads is it too much to have a bit of respect for Nora and her family and not try and make this about MMC.

Nóra deserves to be the complete focus here while there is still hope she will be found safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Still not found at this stage is very concerning. At this point, broadcasts asking for anyone to come forward with information indicates hopelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

eviltwin wrote: »
    Lads is it too much to have a bit of respect for Nora and her family and not try and make this about MMC.

Ndeserves to be the complete focus here while there is still hope she will be found safe

I suggest people ignore any reference to mmc in this thread, no quoting and no replying to references of that case

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

eviltwin wrote: »

Nóra deserves to be the complete focus here while there is still hope she will be found safe

I think they’ve slunk off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Strazdas wrote:
    Nora's mother has spoken in public for the first time :

Jesus the poor woman! Hope they find her well or at least get answers soon. Be awful having to come home without her and never knowing what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The parents have thanked the Malaysian searchers for their help in looking for Nora .

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/parents-of-nora-quoirin-thank-malaysian-search-operation-teams-943046.html

The poor family I hope they find her soon , she must be terrified

Strazdas wrote: »
    The undergrowth in the forest though seems wild and very deep (waist high). We saw pictures of soldiers trying to hack through it with scythes. I think if she's there, she must be near the villa where she was staying.

Yeah with the undergrowth in a rain forest you wouldnt be getting far without a machete to cut through it. I would presume there are trails through the forest for tourists to walk in the resort so she could have made some progress on one of them. But even then how far could she get in the pitch dark, maybe 10 or 12 km at best but even that is assuming she was walking at a brisk pace. With heilcopters, dogs and 300+ searchers covering an area of c150 sq km they should have found her well by now.

The window thing points to abduction too. Why not just go out the door if she left in the middle of the night? Often in these rain forest jungle lodges you'd have a window with a fly screen to prevent mosquitoes getting in. You'd sleep with the window open to hopefully allow a breeze cool the sticky humidity so it would be very easy for someone to break through a flimsy fly screen and get into the bedroom without creating noise. The dogs sniffing 100m away and then the scent dissappearing suggests movement in a car, would be interested if they've done analysis on tyre tracks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

They need to go back and check everyone who had contact with Nora from once they entered the country

You just don't know people's beliefs in foreign cultures in relation to special needs kids

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

They did that because they thought she might be afraid to come out if she was scared. We are not dealing with a normal 15 yr old.

My normal son scared the wits out of us at 4 or 5 yrs of age. He was missing for almost an hour and the gardai had just arrived when he came out from behind a tree. In his own words what started out as a hide and seek prank went bad and he was afraid he would be in trouble. Even normal kids think differently and you have to think like them to understand.

"Normal"? This can be quite insulting to people with special needs and their families to refer to them as ...not normal.
    Don't take this the wrong way as I do agree with what you have been saying in the thread just be vigilant in how how you describe Nora. Yes she is different with extra needs, but describing your son as a normal child in comparison is quite insulting and not the right way to do so.

I can't imagine what the parents are going through. I'm praying she will be found unharmed soon. There is still hope. Thinking of her friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Have Gardai travelled to Malaysia to assist the local police with their efforts?

I haven't heard it mentioned but since the second day after she went missing I've wondered about it. I'm curious why they haven't opened an abduction investigation and I feel Gardai would advocate on the Quoirin's behalf that no potential avenue be ignored.

Wherever Nora is, I hope she is merely confused at the moment rather than terrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cmcp

"Normal"? This can be quite insulting to people with special needs and their families to refer to them as ...not normal. Don't take this the wrong way as I do agree with what you have been saying in the thread just be vigilant in how how you describe Nora. Yes she is different with extra needs, but describing your son as a normal child in comparison is quite insulting and not the right way to do so.

Jesus get off your high horse, who are you to decide what people can say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

I'd be quite concerned for her well being now. It's been a long time in an area of limited movement of a girl of her capabilities (The terrain isnt easily explored)

I hope she turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

cmcp wrote: »
    Jesus get off your high horse, who are you to decide what people can say

Taking into account the millions of down syndrome people in the world, I'd consider the condition as normal as someone who has bad eyesight and has to wear glasses. Calling special needs children not normal is as bad as any racial slur in my opinion.

Anyway I'm not going to let this argument get in the way of the discussion on Nora, so I won't be replying to you anymore unless you have something useful and on topic to say.

Have Gardai travelled to Malaysia to assist the local police with their efforts?

A Garda Liason Officer travelled to Malaysia yesterday though its not sure what their role is. I doubt they'll actively be involved in the investigation, probably moreso a go between for the family and local police.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

"Normal"? This can be quite insulting to people with special needs and their families to refer to them as ...not normal.
    Don't take this the wrong way as I do agree with what you have been saying in the thread just be vigilant in how how you describe Nora. Yes she is different with extra needs, but describing your son as a normal child in comparison is quite insulting and not the right way to do so.

I can't imagine what the parents are going through. I'm praying she will be found unharmed soon. There is still hope. Thinking of her friends and family.

I don't think there was any malice intended on their part, "normal" was probably a much quicker way to type out "kids without special needs".

Has this site actually gone over PC as fcuk?

Anyway, been reading about this case since last Sunday evening, it must be a living nightmare for the family. I hope the poor girl is found safe and well.

Unthinkable what the family must be enduring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

iamwhoiam wrote:
    The parents have thanked the Malaysian searchers for their help in looking for Nora .

I found that really odd. It's like they're stage managing the whole thing and far more concerned about optics than actually finding Nora.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

A Garda Liason Officer travelled to Malaysia yesterday though its not sure what their role is. I doubt they'll actively be involved in the investigation, probably moreso a go between for the family and local police.

A garda who speaks fluent Malay, no doubt! Seems to me as a PR stunt by Drew Harris. We have to appear to do something - and this is something.

I wonder why the French haven't sent some members of the SPG or Foreign Legion to Malaysia, seeing as the child is half-French?

Advertisement