Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nora Quoirin. [Read mod note in post #1 - updated 14/08]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

I don't think there was any malice intended on their part, "normal" was probably a much quicker way to type out "kids without special needs".

Has this site actually gone over PC as fcuk?

Anyway, been reading about this case since last Sunday evening, it must be a living nightmare for the family. I hope the poor girl is found safe and well.

Unthinkable what the family must be enduring.

Not PC as fcuk, just kinder. Normal people understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I found that really odd. It's like they're stage managing the whole thing and far more concerned about optics than actually finding Nora.

I guess they are afraid the search will be wound down

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I found that really odd. It's like they're stage managing the whole thing and far more concerned about optics than actually finding Nora.

Who do you find to be more concerned about optics then finding Nora? 6 days in from the disappearance and this is the first time an immediate family member has appeared before the cameras so I’m not sure what you mean by “stage managed” or indeed, what you found odd about the mother’s statement.
    I’m not clear as to what you mean here.
    Can you explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Portsalon wrote: »
    A garda who speaks fluent Malay, no doubt! Seems to me as a PR stunt by Drew Harris. We have to appear to do something - and this is something.

I wonder why the French haven't sent some members of the SPG or Foreign Legion to Malaysia, seeing as the child is half-French?

By all accounts the child is traveling on an Irish passport which would imply that the mother also has an Irish passport.
    And the family live in the UK, not France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

splinter65 wrote:
    Who do you find to be more concerned about optics then finding Nora?

The police.

I guess they are afraid the search will be wound down

Most likely. If the many volunteers feel that their efforts are totally unacknowledged they may lose heart and give up.
    Also the poor woman probably feels genuinely appreciative of the kindness being shown them.

The police.

The police are definitely dead set on proving to the rest of the world that they are a proper professional police force .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,856 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

My own fear is that poor Nora had an accident somewhere in the rain forest near to the cottage and they simply haven't discovered her yet.

Please God there is a breakthrough of some description soon. I doubt she could have gotten very far into the forest given her frailty and vulnerability.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Did you ? Why ? I am sure the parents know better how helpful the searchers have been than you or I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Whatever you're having yourself I suppose, but it was more than clear to many (I assume) that there wasn't even a smidgen of disrespect or malice in the post.

People wanting any old excuse to be offended by something.

You’ll find this hard to believe I know but what you describe as “kinder”, disabled people and their close family describe as cringe making pretentious condescension.
    Nora’s not a “normal” 15 year old. The poster wasn’t being unkind. Just stop being outraged on behalf of people who aren’t outraged at all themselves.

I saw no malice or unkindness in that post you refer to.Does that make me less normal than those that did ?

splinter65 wrote: »
    You’ll find this hard to believe I know but what you describe as “kinder”, disabled people and their close family describe as cringe making pretentious condescension.
    Nora’s not a “normal” 15 year old. The poster wasn’t being unkind. Just stop being outraged on behalf of people who aren’t outraged at all themselves.

You can speak for yourself and your experiences and I'll speak for mine, and if my post made you cringe, be my guest.
    The original objection was the comparison of one posters "normal" child to Nora. There are other ways to address Nora's challenges without comparing her to what they described as their normal child. Cringe away.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I saw no malice or unkindness in that post you refer to.Does that make me less normal than those that did ?

Flew right past you.

Whatever you're having yourself I suppose, but it was more than clear to many (I assume) that there wasn't even a smidgen of disrespect or malice in the post.

People wanting any old excuse to be offended by something.

I never suggested any malice. There usually isn't when people make blunt comments such as the post comparing his/her child to Nora.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I never suggested any malice. There usually isn't when people make blunt comments such as the post comparing his/her child to Nora.

Nora's own parents have described her as having special needs. They went out of their way to point this out especially if people find her, or god forbid she's being held against her will.

Isn't that then a case of them pointing out that she's not your average kid (normal) compared to other kids of the same age?

Nora's own parents have described her as having special needs. They went out of their way to point this out especially if people find her, or god forbid she's being held against her will.

Isn't that then a case of them pointing out that she's not your average kid (normal) compared to other kids of the same age?

Absolutely, but what they didn't do, was compare her repeatedly to other normal children to illustrate her needs. Francie Brady's post refers to normal children a few times. The whole world knows that Nora has challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Having one child with special needs and one without. I have used the word normal at times but checked myself after. Usually use ‘ typical’ now - short for neurotypical.

Flew right past you.

No it didn’t actually . Must you now take over the thread with this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

I agree that there was no malice intended by the poster I quoted, as well as there was also no malice intended in my reply, so I don't see why you are the one who is so "outraged" by my comment?

I was mearly just pointing out that there were more respectful ways of referring to disabled people. I have a disabled younger brother and I consider him normal. It can be upsetting to have him and others like him labeled not normal/abnormal etc.
    Im not asking you to agree with me but if you want to choose not to understand this then fine, it says alot about you, but at least have some bit of respect for disabled people, especially considering the thread you are on.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    No it didn’t actually . Must you now take over the thread with this

I only replied to posts that quoted me. Is that your definition of taking over a thread? No need to reply of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

By all accounts the child is traveling on an Irish passport which would imply that the mother also has an Irish passport.
    And the family live in the UK, not France.

Seems quite remarkable that an avid follower of this sad saga like you appears to have missed the fact that 50% of the child's parents hail from France.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Strazdas wrote: »
    My own fear is that poor Nora had an accident somewhere in the rain forest near to the cottage and they simply haven't discovered her yet.

Please God there is a breakthrough of some description soon. I doubt she could have gotten very far into the forest given her frailty and vulnerability.

I agree.
    it gets more heartbreaking as time moves on and there hasn't been a breakthrough yet. Hopefully something shows up soon. I have every bit of hope that they will find something.

Portsalon wrote: »
    Seems quite remarkable that an avid follower of this sad saga like you appears to have missed the fact that 50% of the child's parents hail from France.

It hasn’t escaped me at all but as it appears that from a family of 5, 3/4 or 75% appear to have Irish passports and all speak English and none live in France then I can’t see any advantage in France sending a gendarme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

It hasn’t escaped me at all but as it appears that from a family of 5, 3/4 or 75% appear to have Irish passports and all speak English and none live in France then I can’t see any advantage in France sending a gendarme.

I didn't mention sending a gendarme!

I referred (somewhat ironically: something else that appears to have escaped your attention) to the sending of some members of the French Foreign Legion; an organisation that would be far more used to operating in the jungles of Asia than your average Plod lifted from the mean streets of Tullamore, Tralee or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

I read that Nora understands French as was as English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Its very strange that after 7 days they have found nothing besides a few foot prints in the jungle. Are they not doing forensics? they surely would have found something.. a strand of her hair, a path she would have created while walking, other footsteps if someone was with her..
    From whats posted in the media, it really looks like theyre just out looking around but not actually checking anything.

What puzzles me is if they need machetes to get through the jungle how could Nora have strayed that direction ? She would take an easy path surely .
    I hope they find some trace very soon as time is running out now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

The Resort

http://thedusun.com.my/

KH-MAP-MALAYSIA-MISSING-TEENAGER.jpg

Nora
    1565411396-missing-girl-malaysia-960x540.jpg

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Advertisement