Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous people you have met/chat with

Options
  • 09-08-2019 11:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Someone asked me this a while ago and i was quite impressed with who i have met...........

Bruce Springsteen out side the Morrison 06 think it was. Nice fella, asked him to sign my hand as had no paper, he just laughed

Ronnie O'Sullivan on numerous occasions, rather sulky like in real life

Tony McCoy, sound
    Willie Mullins, Gent

John Major, we chatted about cricket

Harry Redknapp, he apologised to me, lovely fella

Damon Albarn in knotting hill in 2002 think it was, seemed quite a shy fella

Robbie Fowler in a nightclub in Mathew street back in 98. Mad fcuk

and sat next to Ronan Keating on a flight to FARO, was with his ex and their little ginger kid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I met Bono in Dublin Airport. He was queing at the baggage area and my friend insisted we go over. I was/am a huge U2 fan. My (idiot) friend dragged me over and goes.... ehh Mr. Bono... eh Paul.. Mr. Heuston...em.. she thinks Acthung baby is the greatest album of all time. Bono just smiled and said does she now and looked at me. Then he asked me my name and I told him. He said beautiful name, have a safe trip.
    He was teeny tiny... we were at eye level with each other. Seemed really lovely and weirdly didn't seem to have a big entourage around him. He was just in the normal baggage area.

Also met Shane MaGowan after hours at a hotel bar. He was drinking a pint of what looked like water but the bartender told us afterwards it was straight gin. I literally couldn't understand a word he said. He just kind of mumbled and cackled and that was about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Jimmy Saville. Nice lad. Died too young.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Porklife wrote: »
    I met Bono in Dublin Airport. He was queing at the baggage area and my friend insisted we go over. I was/am a huge U2 fan. My (idiot) friend dragged me over and goes.... ehh Mr. Bono... eh Paul.. Mr. Heuston...em.. she thinks Acthung baby is the greatest album of all time. Bono just smiled and said does she now and looked at me. Then he asked me my name and I told him. He said beautiful name, have a safe trip.
    He was teeny tiny... we were at eye level with each other. Seemed really lovely and weirdly didn't seem to have a big entourage around him. He was just in the normal baggage area.

Also met Shane MaGowan after hours at a hotel bar. He was drinking a pint of what looked like water but the bartender told us afterwards it was straight gin. I literally couldn't understand a word he said. He just kind of mumbled and cackled and that was about it!

Actually now that you mention it, i sat roughly 4 feet from Bono and a mate of his about 10 years ago in the beer garden in the Queens, some chat asked him for a photo and he said no he was having a quiet pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I once saw Ritchie Kavanagh at the counter in Golden Discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Richard Dunne, about 3 years ago in Hogan's on George's St. I insisted on speaking to him in fairness, I was fairly loaded, but he turned out to be such a lovely bloke and was telling me about his life in Antibes where I have visited before. Must have spent a good 10 mins talking, much to the chagrin of the girl I was on a date with.

• Advertisement

Actually now that you mention it, i sat roughly 4 feet from Bono and a mate of his about 10 years ago in the beer garden in the Queens, some chat asked him for a photo and he said no he was having a quiet pint

Aw.. sorry to hear he wouldn't let you have a photo but I guess it's fair enough. Nice that he chatted with you though. I froze standing in front of him. I was completely star struck. I think he's a lyrical genius and has the most beautiful voice. I could barely get my name out. My friend kept stumbling over how to address him.. ehh Mr. Paul... Paul... Sir... Bono... Mr. Bono but he just kind of grinned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Aw.. sorry to hear he wouldn't let you have a photo but I guess it's fair enough. Nice that he chatted with you though. I froze standing in front of him. I was completely star struck. I think he's a lyrical genius and has the most beautiful voice. I could barely get my name out. My friend kept stumbling over how to address him.. ehh Mr. Paul... Paul... Sir... Bono... Mr. Bono but he just kind of grinned.

No, wasn't me. Some other chap approached him. He was polite though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Peter O'Toole

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Johnny Vegas - was having a pint on my own in the pub I worked in and he came in and we got chatting about Cork. Got totally smashed and had a lock in til 4am. Funniest man I ever met, and I hated his standup actually but brilliant in person.

Roy Keane - from the same estate as him. Met him loads of times as a kid.

Gerry Adams - was in SF for years and had various meetings with him, can be an angry snapping megalomaniac and is far removed from the grandad personality he has now.

Prince Naseem Hamed - met him at Heathrow, he was very close to an old boxing coach of mine. Very funny and friendly man, he’s the size of a house now.

David Meyler - footballer. Used to come to a club I did the door at, a prick to all the staff but chilled enough after we stopped him getting a hiding one night.

Simon Zebo - same club, arrogant swaggering arse but funny and very charming with it too. His dad is lovely.

Simon Pegg - served him in a pub I worked in, came in wearing a disguise. Seemed to have a sick in his arse.

Saoirse Ronan - had a lock in with her in the same pub. Lovely and down to earth. Genuine nice person.

Shane McGowan - was off his face in the Boogaloo in Highgate. Incomprehensible.

Probably a few other ones but can’t remember now.

Re Simon Pegg - Seemed to have a sick in his arse.

What does that mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

What does that mean?

Rectal cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What does that mean?

ccfe2cc9d5c1ad9b6cc1275d4670594f-simon-pegg-black-books.jpg?fit=500%2C375&ssl=1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

FTA69 wrote: »
    Saoirse Ronan - had a lock in with her in the same pub. Lovely and down to earth. Genuine nice person..

Which accent was she using? I have heard so many different ones at this stage.

Did she go for the Dublin inner city wan loike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Andy Lee an absolute gentleman very down to earth seemed very genuine chatted away about boxing and various other topics.

Mick McCarthy very witty very funny man stayed chatting to us for about half an hour signed autographs etc couldn't have been nicer.

Jamie Heaslip a complete and total cock.

Ruairí Ó Brádaigh not a celebrity for most people but for someone like me into Irish history etc he was really friendly intelligent genuinely interested in the opinions of others hard to believe a man so mild mannered and pleasant could be such a diehard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Grainne seoige, met her several times

Delightful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Had the chance to meet more but I only really ever bothered making an effort for one. Ron Thal...can he be classed as famous in these lands?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Met The Hoff in New York years ago, we had a very brief chat about nothing in particular, I got a pic with him and said thanks as I didn’t want to bother him.

Obviously not a huge celeb but I have met Des Bishop many times through a mutual friend. He is fairly quiet in person, not what I expected at all given his gregarious on stage character. Nice fella though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Harry Redknapp, he apologised to me, lovely fella.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Jimmy Saville. Nice lad. Died too young.
    Very well connected in his day . He'd give you some inside nae bother !

I met Tommy Tiernan at Electric Picnic years ago but couldn't for the life of me tell you what we talked about. I was a bit (a lot) worse for wear and my bf at the time said he had to come over and take me away as Lord knows what I was on about. Apparently Tommy was laughing though so I must have been pretty funny :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

FTA69 wrote: »

Gerry Adams - was in SF for years and had various meetings with him, can be an angry snapping megalomaniac and is far removed from the grandad personality he has now.

I’ve heard this from a few people - that there’s something very ‘off’ about him. His twitter persona being all a carefully crafted image he puts out.

Kevin Kilbane is a dead sound skin. Like properly sound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I met Tommy Tiernan at Electric Picnic years ago but couldn't for the life of me tell you what we talked about. I was a bit (a lot) worse for wear and my bf at the time said he had to come over and take me away as Lord knows what I was on about. Apparently Tommy was laughing though so I must have been pretty funny :pac:
    There are other alternatives ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I’ve heard this from a few people - that there’s something very ‘off’ about him. His twitter persona being all a carefully crafted image he puts out.

It's impossible to not like Kevin kilbane

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Met quite a few over the years through my old job.
    Most notable was Edmund Hillary.
    Absolute gent.

Ended up drinking with Damo Suzuki (The singer from 70 Krautrock band Can) in Antwerp of an evening. Myself and a friend were asked directions by a couple and we ended up going to the pub with them for a few pints. It was only the next day, I figured out who he was. His girlfriend kept alluding to him being famous but he really didn't want to go there. I only realised next day when I googled him.

I've met a few people who have been on The Simpson's. (proper famous):D
    Adam Clayton - used to know his brother years ago and used to sometimes hang out at his house.
    Yo La Tengo. Two of the band came drinking with us after a gig in Cork some years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Met John O'Shea in Dubrovnik airport a couple of years ago. Really nice fella. Even helped a woman with her pram getting on the shuttle bus. Talked about the upcoming season etc.

Met Shane Lowry in an Irish bar in NYC the night after the final round of this year's PGA. Had heard mixed reviews of what he was like but came across as sound to me as we talked about the Tour and why Keopka was so good. Little did I know he would win the Open a mere couple of months later.

Met Chris Jericho randomly in a hotel in Cork while at a stag a few years ago. Literal chills. Disappointing hand-shake though :D

So I suppose not many people can claim to have talked to (not just 'met') a Champions League and Premier League winner, WWE champion and golf major winner on their travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Shaq. Biggest man I have ever seen.

What does that mean?

Stick up his arse sorry. He was just gruff, and was wearing a deer stalker hat and glasses he looked like a nonce.

It was in a part of the pub reserved for a party and he seemed convinced he was about to be papped or something.

Adams persona is bullsh*t. Fact, and I’ve seen what he’s really like more than once.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Which accent was she using? I have heard so many different ones at this stage.

Did she go for the Dublin inner city wan loike?

Soft Dublin accent, deffo nothing like Adam and Paul sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've met loads through work and I would never talk to them about their job, same as anyone. I had one colleague who got his photo taken with every famous person which I think is very unprofessional.

The two nicest celebs I've ever met are Robert Plant, unbelievably polite man as is Pat Shortt. One person I did end up in a conversation with away from work was Tony Cascarino at the Irish Open poker, which my brother was playing in. I didn't talk about soccer despite being a huge soccer fan. We spoke for five minutes, mostly about my work. Nice man. I don't recall meeting a famous person who was a cnut.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement