Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous people you have met/chat with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

John Terry tried to get with my friend (around the time of his cheating scandal). She had no idea who he was until after she rejected him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This is why I’d hate to be famous. If you’re not always “on”, people badmouth you. I can think of many times in my life (stressful times, when feeling ill, after having received bad news etc.) where if I happened to be famous and somebody approached me, I likely wouldn’t have responded well.

And it must be weird for famous people that perfect strangers treat you like they know you. That over familiarity could be irksome.

Incidentally, Bonner gladly posed with a family member of mine recently for a photo.

This is so true, particularly for females who are in the public eye with their appearances being heavily scrutinised. I know of a couple of famous girls who go out for a run with pretty much their full make up on.

Imagine what’s it’s like trying to have a night on the lash. I was out with some of my friends and as normal some folks would ask for a selfie etc which is fine but then you get people sneaking photos without permission.

Fortunately in LA people give less a crap unless you’re a Hollywood A lister.

Reminds me of a story about Kiefer Sutherland. Can’t post it here but if I make a board’s beers and get drunk enough I might share it!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Brendan Gleeson who was lovely if a bit pished

Keith Duffy who was genuinely sound and polite

Pauline McLynn was nice enough

Idris Elba who was a bit arrogant and full of himself but I forgive him because it was around his Stringer Bell time so could really do no wrong in my eyes

Aidan Turner who was lovely especially considering I had no idea who he was and asked him if he was in fair city or something

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I met Denis Irwin, David May & Paul Parker at a Members dinner one time.

May was a bollox, Irwin was alright, a bit quiet. Paul Parker was dead on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Forgot another one.

In March I was going over to Belfast to see some young one. Who was on the steps of the plane behind me only Danny Dyer who was going over to play a charity football game with the 6 County team. I says “how we doing Danny”, “good mate” he says, “you off home?”

“No Danny I’m from Cork, I’m away to meet a girl I met online and I’m a bit nervous about it” I replied.

He looked me dead in the eye and said “get over there and get stuck right in son, I believe in ya!”

Haha absolute lad he was. Great time for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I was out in Spain one time I saw Al Matthews (best known as Apone from Aliens but also starred in Grange Hill and The Fifth Element) having some lunch and a beer. It was on an outdoor terrace of a bar and there were plenty of people around. We got talking and ended up having a few beers and talking movies and acting for a few hours. He was 72 at the time and using a Zimmer frame. Even at 72 he was some man for the ladies.

Anyway I had a lift picking me up and asked him if he’d like a lift home too. He said yes and as I stood up I joked with him, “you’re very trusting of a random Irish guy giving you a lift home”

To which he replied at full volume, “you know what they say, the Irish are the ‘n word’ of Europe’

Caused a few head turns and a red face on me!

Incidentally he showed me around his house and all the stage and film memorabilia he had from over the decades not to mention the stories he had too. Sad that he passed not too long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

I was drinking a pint one afternoon with a friend of mine in the mezze bar in Dublin. Shaun Ryder was there so I bought him a pint. He came and joined us for a "few" more.
    He was doing a DJ support act for a band he was promoting in the music centre and promised to get us on the guest list. He signed an autograph for me "get well soon, Shaun ryder"
    Hours later he left in a mess. When we got to the gig we were not on the list and he had not showed up to play. Oops what a great day. He was sound but mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,889 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Br
    Aidan Turner who was lovely especially considering I had no idea who he was and asked him if he was in fair city or something
    Totally agree a really lovely guy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Myself and two friends met Liam and ended up havin a drink with him a few years ago. He spotted us at a gig not so long after and appreciated our enthusiasm so dedicated a tune to us. Well, he just called us the three stooges or something like that. Not like he knows us by name but was good all the same.

There was another funny incident with Noel when I was living in Argentina. The night before the show he was havin dinner around the corner from my girlfriend's apartment. He was signing autographs for a small group of fans on the street afterwards and we went over. He laughed about meeting a Paddy in Buenos Aires. The next day was the gig and I had the tricolour with me. He spotted me, pointed over and dedicated a tune to "the Irish". Here's the incident on Youtube. Around 1:00:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdFR2gjGenE

Love love LOVE both of those stories!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

shaneon77 wrote: »
    I was drinking a pint one afternoon with a friend of mine in the mezze bar in Dublin. Shaun Ryder was there so I bought him a pint. He came and joined us for a "few" more.
    He was doing a DJ support act for a band he was promoting in the music centre and promised to get us on the guest list. He signed an autograph for me "get well soon, Shaun ryder"
    Hours later he left in a mess. When we got to the gig we were not on the list and he had not showed up to play. Oops what a great day. He was sound but mental.

I met him in the queue for Burger King in Belfast years ago. Well, not met but he was standing in front of me in the queue. He was being really loud and had clearly had a few. He seems lovely now on Celebrity Googlebox, don't think he boozes anymore and he has alopecia now God bless him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Tony Todd - really friendly, genuine guy.

Kane Hodder - as above, very approachable.

Nicholas Vince - hands down the nicest celebrity I've ever met, chatted with him for about 15 minutes about life, movies, our other halves, just a super happy, affable guy.

Clive Barker - friendly if a little curt.

Alex Vincent - obnoxious as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Seanachai

FTA69 wrote: »
    Forgot another one.

In March I was going over to Belfast to see some young one. Who was on the steps of the plane behind me only Danny Dyer who was going over to play a charity football game with the 6 County team. I says “how we doing Danny”, “good mate” he says, “you off home?”

“No Danny I’m from Cork, I’m away to meet a girl I met online and I’m a bit nervous about it” I replied.

He looked me dead in the eye and said “get over there and get stuck right in son, I believe in ya!”

You might like this book,

https://www.orionbooks.co.uk/titles/various/the-little-book-of-danny-dyer/9781409192947/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Most of you won't know these but anyway -

At Ozzfest 2002:

J-Mann, Skinny and Stitch from Mushroomhead
    Tom Araya from Slayer
    The singer from Otep
    Dave Williams from Drowning Pool
    A few members of Superskin who played at a gig in my hometown a few months afterwards

Met all of One Minute Silence and Breed77 after their gig at Dolan's Warehouse in Limerick in 2002. Had the craic with them on their bus and all. What a sound bunch of lads!

I met Peter Coonan (Fran in Love/Hate) in a O'Connell's restaurant, Dublin in 2012. Thoroughly sound chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I wonder if all it takes for a celeb to come off as alright is just give someone the time of day :pac:

Obviously not literally the time of day but just a few "nah, you're not bothering me man. want a picture?" etc etc.

You could be the biggest bollocks going but have some tact about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

I wonder if all it takes for a celeb to come off as alright is just give someone the time of day :pac:

Obviously not literally the time of day but just a few "nah, you're not bothering me man. want a picture?" etc etc.

You could be the biggest bollocks going but have some tact about you.

That's probably all it really is, you've made somebody's day by being sound and getting in a photo, saying hello etc. but that must be absolutely headwrecking if it's happening to you multiple times every day that you step outside your door.

I don't know how the nice ones do it, I would be permanently annoyed at people feeling they had the entitlement to interrupt my meal / date / drinks or whatever and tell me their life story. I'm sure it's flattering the first few times but would get old so quickly. I would be a really really bad celebrity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

If they’re not up for a drink they’re dry shítes in my view. But some at that stage where it’s doctors orders I suppose, don’t wanna drag that Rhys Myers off the wagon or anything gets himself in a terrible state

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That's probably all it really is, you've made somebody's day by being sound and getting in a photo, saying hello etc. but that must be absolutely headwrecking if it's happening to you multiple times every day that you step outside your door.

I don't know how the nice ones do it, I would be permanently annoyed at people feeling they had the entitlement to interrupt my meal / date / drinks or whatever and tell me their life story. I'm sure it's flattering the first few times but would get old so quickly. I would be a really really bad celebrity :D

You are absolutely right.
    Heard it's all a business thing. Like how Tom Cruise spends two hours before a movie premiere shaking hands and taking pictures. Not only makes him come off as a nice guy, good pr, but everyone of them is likely to see his movie cause "he comes off as a great fellow"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Tom Cruise is sound, even if he is a member of that wacky religion known as Scientology

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

I (and my family) had a formal dinner with Michael D many many years ago, when he was a government minister. Nice and polite until the discussion turned to politics and he lost the plot temporarily - the things he said about Thatcher are unrepeatable. How could I not like him?

I 'met' Phil Lynott a couple of times, in that I shook hands with him as he sashayed past smiling at everyone, exactly like in that video for 'Old Town'. He had that capacity to make everyone else smile too, something lovable about him.

I was privileged to meet Sharon Shannon when she was with her ex-boyfriend, whom I knew well. 6 of us in a kitchen and she played for hours (with him, an accomplished musician in his own right) and it was magical. She is as sweet as her smile.

John Motson in a Liverpool hotel. My friend and I sidled up to him late one match day. He was very chatty and thought we were just in looking for Liverpool players - some of whom were at a charity function. He presumed we couldn't be staying at this hotel, and offered us his key so we could pretend to be residents. It wasn't needed, but I thought it a nice, friendly gesture.

I met Hector after a world cup rugby game in Cardiff. No thanks.

I sat near both Terry Wogan and Anthea Turner (different occasions!) at an Irish restaurant. I didn't go near either, but the manager told me that Wogan was very friendly and polite. He declined to give an opinion on Turner, but from what I saw of her she was all drama and flailing arms and every inch the 'luvvie'.

My favourite ever was Larry Bird (google him, go on!). I worked in Cape Cod for a while in 86/87, and we all did whatever work we could - although not qualified or experienced in anything. I was helping out two friends putting shingles on a house in a quite, well-to-do and private area on the Cape one Saturday morning. We pulled up, slapped the radio onto the roof of the van, and started shingling the house with a couple of nail guns, a fierce racket, very early. Then Bird appeared on the porch next door, unmistakably him - probably the most famous Boston sportsman of that era. 6'10 in a white bathrobe, and just stared at us. We stopped and he beckoned us over. 'You guys know who I am?' Nods all round...'you guys know I need my rest?...more nods and red faces....'you guys know its illegal to make noise around here on weekends?'... gulps all round.... 'Ok, here's the deal' he said, and led us into his living room. He went and opened 4 beers, sat us down and we drank the beers, as did he, and chatted. He then stood up, shook our hands and wished us well. Fcuk, I adore Larry Bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

branie2 wrote: »
    Tom Cruise is sound, even if he is a member of that wacky religion known as Scientology

Any friend of David Micavige is a friend of m...…, he's a fecking loop job and I'm almost certain he turns in to a lizard as soon as he closes that front door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

At Ozzfest 2002:

Tom Araya from Slayer
    The singer from Otep
    A few members of Superskin who played at a gig in my hometown a few months afterwards
    My band supported Superskin in Cork a few months after Ozzfest, gas lads. They were telling us Kerry King was pouring the shots into them backstage:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Tom Cruise is sound, even if he is a member of that wacky religion cultknown as Scientology

Fixed that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Just not sound of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Which one? They're all pretty obnoxious.

Now there's a clutch of boys who would have benefited from a few summers in the bog.

I think his name is Saul.
    I used to know a girl who used to work for the Irish Independent years ago when Jonathan had a column with it.
    Apparently everyone's heart used sink when Jonathan came into the office with the young lad as he would run amok totally unchecked by his father.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Henry Rollins.
    Wow.
    Is he as intense in person.

Seems like a very interesting guy. Can you tell us any more about what you talked about

Loved his stuff from Black Flag, i remember just turning round and saying "Fcuk me, it's Henry Rollins" and he just laughed and we just got talking, i've met quite a few famous people over the years and he genuinely looked like he was interested in what you were saying, not looking over your shoulder for someone else or trying to get off.
    He asked where i was from, told him a little town in North Wales called Llandudno and that he'd probably never heard of it, he said "Ah yeah, that's near Colwyn Bay, we played a gig there on the pier and remember looking out of the dressing room and the sea was underneath us"

Top top guy. Was looking for something to get signed, picked up this piece of paper that was on top of a flight case, was the full drawing layout of Sabbaths full lighting rig, got it signed by Ozzy, Geezer and Tony from Sabbath, Henry Rolling and Brian May. May was funny, i was like a kid "Any chance you could sign this please", nice enough and he signed it, my mate Gethin then asked me "Who's he??" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Another one i forgot to mention, in 91 i won a days Paintballing with Iron Maiden and Thunder, was an all expenses paid yoke, went down to EMI records in London, had a look around and got a luxury coach with the bands to the paintballing centre

All of Thunder turned up and they were awesome but only Bruce and Janick turned up from the Maiden team (they made up for it later by giving me AAA passes to a gig and went onstage to sing chorus of Heaven Can Wait)

Bruce was a Grade 1 tool, we each had to captain a game and he was captain of a capture the flag, so he sits our team round and starts making all these plans and strategies, like you go this way, you flank on the left etc.

Game kicks off and myself and Harry (Thunder Drummer), slightly worse for wear just ran and started shooting the ****e out of anything that moved, ignoring Bruces well laid plans, all we could hear was him screaming NOOOOO in the background. Met Harry last year and spoke about it, he remembers it well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Not actually met him, but golfer Colin Montgomerie once told me to shut the **** up (or words to that effect) during an Irish Open back in the early 2000s. I was whispering to someone near me when he was about to take a putt but obviously I was loud enough for him to hear me.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

At Ozzfest 2002:

Tom Araya from Slayer
    The singer from Otep

Met all of One Minute Silence and Breed77 after their gig at Dolan's Warehouse in Limerick in 2002. Had the craic with them on their bus and all. What a sound bunch of lads!

I met Peter Coonan (Fran in Love/Hate) in a O'Connell's restaurant, Dublin in 2012. Thoroughly sound chap.

I roadied for Breed when they played in Dublin at Xtreme Festival, First band on and had all their gear packed away by 2pm so all afternoon to get hammered. Known them and OMS from the start, i'm still in touch with Yap (OMS) and Danny & stu from Breed now.

Funny one from that Festival, was in the RDS indoors, Early evening and Danny is twisted he 'finds' a bottle of JD and starts on it, had to tactically remove it from it as it was from Lemmy's dressing room. We all went to Dorans after the gig and were sat in the little upstairs bit, someone lit a joint and passed it round, bouncer was going nuts as he couldn't see who had it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,098 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Gerry Hutch in a bar in Torremolinos? Introduced himself as a chauffeur though. I knew he was having a pinocchio moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,048 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Bobblehats wrote: »
    I met lou reed once; asked him to autograph my newspaper. He flipped it over and signed the accident and injury claims advertisement on the back :pac:

Legendary 24/7 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

FTA69 wrote: »
    Forgot another one.

this wins the internet. i can literally imagine it

Advertisement