Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous people you have met/chat with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

BandMember wrote: »

On a sort of related note, I've also had the pleasure of chatting with and meeting a number of times the legendary Boardsie, the one and only sligojoek! Well, if he is who I think he is..... ;)

Confirmed this evening by PM.

Good to be in touch again BM. Pints in Sligo next time you're passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Amanda Brunker

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Would meet a good few famous heads through work (but wouldn’t be chatting to them that long bar some small talk)

have to say, out of them all:

Most unassuming for his status was Daniel Day Lewis

I found Mr Day Lewis beyond sound. I never actually met him to be fair but had countless conversations with him as part of my work over the phone... those who did meet him couldn’t speak highly enough of him. Total down to earth gent apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I met Lemmy from Motorhead years ago in the Powerscourt centre, maybe early 90s . He was having a cup of tea sitting in the cafe in the middle of the ground floor of Powerscourt. I went over said hello and had a quick chat about the building as he thought it was nice and then i left him to it. Lovely guy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I was chatting to David McSavage after a gig. He was selling dvds after the show. Commendably, he had no assistance with the stall, he set it up and worked it of his own accord. He hoped to miraculously get laid that night, as far as I recall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

branie2 wrote: »
    Tom Cruise is sound, even if he is a member of that wacky religion known as Scientology

I like watching his movies. But apart from the whole scientology thing he comes off as severely false and fake. Really tries to come off as such a nice guy. To the point it's fake.

Not as bad as him but I noticed that about The Rock too. No one is that nice. I get it, it's all PR. It's all about coming off as nice >> so you got a good image >> so you can sell more tickets etc etc. But still... Very phoney.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

scudzilla wrote: »
    I roadied for Breed when they played in Dublin at Xtreme Festival, First band on and had all their gear packed away by 2pm so all afternoon to get hammered. Known them and OMS from the start, i'm still in touch with Yap (OMS) and Danny & stu from Breed now.

Funny one from that Festival, was in the RDS indoors, Early evening and Danny is twisted he 'finds' a bottle of JD and starts on it, had to tactically remove it from it as it was from Lemmy's dressing room. We all went to Dorans after the gig and were sat in the little upstairs bit, someone lit a joint and passed it round, bouncer was going nuts as he couldn't see who had it

Class :D I'm friendly with Yap and Danny (The Heretic Order now) on FB. I chat to Yap a bit every now and then. My aul lad actually taught him in Templemore years ago. Met him again at the Battle of the Bands in the Munster Hotel in 2003 I think it was. A local band called Scarred played 1845.
    Bassfish wrote: »
    My band supported Superskin in Cork a few months after Ozzfest, gas lads. They were telling us Kerry King was pouring the shots into them backstage:D

They played at a gig in what was called The Brewery here in Thurles at the time along with a few local bands, one of which was Epitaph. Their drummer was my guitar teacher at the time so he got me in as I was underage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Have MET very few famous people:
    Quentin Tarantino. (Was at a Q&A thing for Deathproof. I asked him about a fantastic long take (in an otherwise poor movie). He basically spent the entire Q&A talking about it (Sorry) and I met him in pub after he thanked me: He said it was the first time anyone asked him about that scene which was one of his favourite shots ever)
    The Edge (While going to cinema)
    Christie Dingham at the last U2 concert. Looked well, considering.
    Ken Doherty in Ranelagh shortly after winning The Crucible. Jason's was still there.

Have seen a couple:
    Sang Happy Birthday to the Dalai Lama in Glasto :) (Does that count? :))
    King Hussein of Jordan in a book shop in Minnesota (He was regularly there in Mayo clinics in Rochester when I was there)
    Emperor Akihito on New Year's Day speech in the palace.

I think I'm the only person in Dublin who has not met Bono. Apparently EVERYONE met Bono and Bruce Springsteen at that resturaunt and they paid for EVERYONE's meal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I do have a story about someone meeting Bono, they were in a restaurant and Bono was there with Gavin Friday and a few others. Guy goes up and asks for an autograph and Bono says no, they are just having a quiet meal, and the guy says "I was talking to Gavin". Apparently they fell around laughing and bought him a drink.

I forgot to include in my post the time I met Terry Christian in a bar in Dublin. He was having a whale of a time and was really friendly. I asked him where the bogs were and he told me. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Oh this happened just Sunday week ago,

I was out for a walk early about 8ish with my youngest , we where walking down Howth harbour and a dog ran over to her , She is only 18 months so the owner was a little concerned and shouted at his dog " Seamus come over here " I looked up to say its ok he is fine and it was the one the only Brendan Gleeson,

I just said hello Brendan and chatted about his dog and my little one for a bit before he went on his way ,
    He looked like he'd lost a lot of weight and is a very big man ,

Iv meet loads of Irish actors and famous sports star through the years even friends with a couple of Irish internationals but even at my age I still get star struck when its a Hollywood star like Brendan no idea why ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I like watching his movies. But apart from the whole scientology thing he comes off as severely false and fake. Really tries to come off as such a nice guy. To the point it's fake.

Not as bad as him but I noticed that about The Rock too. No one is that nice. I get it, it's all PR. It's all about coming off as nice >> so you got a good image >> so you can sell more tickets etc etc. But still... Very phoney.
    That comes with being famous I imagine, your public persona needs to be a good guy all the time or you get a reputation of being an asshole.

I doubt the Rock is that super smiley guy 24/7, but he seems like a nice dude all the same, absolute workhorse as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Sing stairway
    When are led zep playing again
    Sure it's only the drummer you need...

I'd say with the drummer comment, he was lucky not to get a thump.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,048 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Most of you won't know these but anyway -

At Ozzfest 2002:

J-Mann, Skinny and Stitch from Mushroomhead
    Tom Araya from Slayer
    The singer from Otep
    Dave Williams from Drowning Pool
    A few members of Superskin who played at a gig in my hometown a few months afterwards

Met all of One Minute Silence and Breed77 after their gig at Dolan's Warehouse in Limerick in 2002. Had the craic with them on their bus and all. What a sound bunch of lads!

I met Peter Coonan (Fran in Love/Hate) in a O'Connell's restaurant, Dublin in 2012. Thoroughly sound chap.

is Tom Sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

is Tom Sound?

He is as far as I could tell. As with anyone, if you catch them in a good/bad mood your experience will be based on that.

He was in a good mood that day :D

Dolores O' Riordan called me bizarre once.
    I've had a pretty bizarre experience with Sinead O' Connor over the phone.
    I've kissed Philomena Lynott (on the lips!) and she invited me back to her house to check out some memorabilia of Phil's.
    I've met Christy Dignam a few times. All through work.
    I shook Bill Bailey's hand.
    I briefly greeted Bill Clinton.
    I've had Jedward unexpectedly jump into my lift. They're hilarious.
    Aidan Power has presented me with an award.
    I nearly crashed into John Daly rallying around in a golf cart.
    I've spoke to a number of others over the phone too including Gary Breen, Matt Holland, Martin King (soundest guy ever), Katy Perry's drummer, Vogue Williams (also quite sound).
    I've met loads of rock/metal bands too that probably aren't worth mentioning here.
    I was also supposed to go drinking with the villain from Slumdog Millionaire. I was pretty disappointed when that fell through, as you can imagine. :(

shoot

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I used to vaguely know Cillian Murphy before he was famous. He was a sound young fella.
    I also happened to be there for his first movie role. He had a one word speaking part - "good".

Then years later I saw a picture of Cillian and his wife and thought, "what is Yvonne doing in a pic with Cillian Murphy?".
    His wife was very good friends with an ex of mine before she met Cillian. I helped her buy a stereo separates system - possibly the last double cassette deck ever sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I used to vaguely know Cillian Murphy before he was famous. He was a sound young fella.
    I also happened to be there for his first movie role. He had a one word speaking part - "good".

Then years later I saw a picture of Cillian and his wife and thought, "what is Yvonne doing in a pic with Cillian Murphy?".
    His wife was very good friends with an ex of mine before she met Cillian. I helped her buy a stereo separates system - possibly the last double cassette deck ever sold.

Were you in school with Cillian?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

branie2 wrote: »
    Were you in school with Cillian?

Nope. He's younger than me.
    I knew him through the Cork music scene in the mid 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭BandMember

sligojoek wrote: »
    Confirmed this evening by PM.

Good to be in touch again BM. Pints in Sligo next time you're passing.

Yes, definitely great to get back in touch with you again - most definitely pints sooner rather than later too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Walked along the Dort track's pissed with Robert Smith of The Cure once.
    Met Sarah Dallin outside a club in the 90's, absolutely gorgeous woman.

Was at a few house parties in Cork back in the late 90's Killian was there.

Worked in Dromoland Castle in the 90's met loads of famous people.

Robin Williams stood out the most, just sauntering around the estate in a hoodie and tracksuit.
    Gas man he would be walking around Ennis and nobody local would know who he was, unless you worked in Dromoland.

A very laid back guy, dry sense of humour...

Met many more, but being honest they're just as attractive on a good day or rough as fck on a bad day as yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Hedgelayer wrote: »

Robin Williams stood out the most, just sauntering around the estate in a hoodie and tracksuit.
    Gas man he would be walking around Ennis and nobody local would know who he was, unless you worked in Dromoland.

Met many more, but being honest they're just as attractive on a good day or rough as fck on a bad day as yourself.

Saw her and George Michael having a drink together in London a fair few years ago. They looked like a couple but obviously not

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

is Tom Sound?

He's Araya.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Which accent was she using? I have heard so many different ones at this stage.

Did she go for the Dublin inner city wan loike?

she's an actress

you'll have to elaborate on the robert smith story!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

you'll have to elaborate on the robert smith story!

Just walked along the dart tracks with him he used to spend a lot of time in Dublin and he was out one evening joined myself and a few lads for drinks...

Nothing more really

Just walked along the dart tracks with him he used to spend a lot of time in Dublin and he was out one evening joined myself and a few lads for drinks...

Nothing more really

nothing to it ...just one of the greatest rock stories ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Bigus wrote: »
    A pub I drink in has a big table of regulars who’s company you can dip in and out of with no obligation to be invited into, or indeed you can leave without drama.

However Mr A in this group can always outdo any conversation, anybody can come up with , he’s gone faster than you ever have , has ridden more women, has been on more holidays ,bigger boats , sandier beaches , warmer swimming poools , colder ski slopes ,,,, you get the idea.

Any way one evening, when the conversation was sparse and Mr A was at the table but was turned around in conversation with somebody else,I purposely dropped the question”who is the most famous person you’ve ever met” ,knowing he’d hear the question in the background and no doubt outdo us all in the famous stakes.

As the answers went around the table , we were getting back the usual , Joe Dolan’s , Bono’s , Enda’s, Charlie’s, etc etc. however one of the lads chirped up that he could safely out do us all and safely win any money that was bet . This lad being quite intelligent, interesting , well travelled and not a spoofer has us well intrigued.

I fought ( he called it played) Vladimir Putin in the Judo world championships in Russia in 1976.... our collective jaws dropped , and Mr A slinked off to the Jax silent , first time I ever heard him out done !

Who won?!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

David & Victoria Beckham had dinner with them a couple of times through a friend of my wife. They are both really nice and not at all like how they are portrayed.

Mark Webber and David Coulthard. Got chatting to them in the bar of a hotel we were staying in. They were on stag party and seeemed a good laugh. I'm a big F1 fan but didn't think it was appropriate to ask for a photo.

Margot Robbie. I didn't meet her exactly but she was in a pool I was swimming in. She was with her husband and a group of friends. She seemed to be fairly down to earth.

Jason Bateman on holiday with his wife and kids. Just got chatting to him as he was a the table beside me for breakfast. Really nice guy and asked loads about Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Here's a mad one,

One day I called unexpectedly to see a friend of mine. He's a (now) retired civil servant. As we werree drinking coffee. I could see him watching the front window now and again but thought nothing of it,

Next thing the doorbell rings and he said "wait til;l you see who's at the door.

It was Johnny Logan, With a photographer and a driver.

My friend had entered into some european civil service draw and won a few quid. Johnny and co. arrived with a cheque and a photographer for the CS magazine.

Once the formalities were over, a bottle of whiskey was opened and we had a great afternon. The driver and photographer lad had great patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Katie Taylor

Leo Varadkar

Tiger Woods

Tiger woods' hot super model norwegian missus at the time

Gabriel Byrne

Numerous top 20 Golfers

Saoirse Ronan

Paul Ronan

Few from Fair City

Any and all Country music stars from here (not famous to many but very to a lot)

Sean O'Brien

The entire Irish Rugby team of 02

Catherine Zeta Jones

Michael Douglas

Shania Twain

Eh............ Ill think of more later

Advertisement