Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous people you have met/chat with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ShimSlady

Met Laura Whitmore at an aftershow party a few years back. She was rude to everyone except the A listers. A classic case of social climbing if you ever saw it!

Saoirse Ronan on the other hand is a lovely young lady. No airs and graces about her.

Colin Farrell is another down to earth gent.

In my experience the bigger the star the nicer they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Twink - all that you've heard is true. A c*nt

Billy Bragg - just lovely

Cillian Murphy - be still my beating ovaries. V quiet and calm kind of fella.

TP McKenna - absolute gent.

Colm Meaney - sound as a pound. Very nice to the clammer of people coming up to shout quotes at him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

optogirl wrote: »
    Twink - all that you've heard is true. A c*nt

Billy Bragg - just lovely

Cillian Murphy - be still my beating ovaries. V quiet and calm kind of fella.

TP McKenna - absolute gent.

Colm Meaney - sound as a pound. Very nice to the clammer of people coming up to shout quotes at him

Arra will you get of the fence about Twink

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭mistersifter

tipptom wrote: »
    Arra will you get of the fence about Twink

you zip up your mickey!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

met some of the Ireland Rugby team last week - no interest in the egg chasing meself but they're genuinely nice lads which is nice to see

Mick McCarthy was a gent

met Carragher in Manchester Airport - sound

Craig Gordon - Bellend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Myself and a friend managed to sneak past THREE security points at Oxegen one year and ended up in the building where the dressing rooms were.

There was a bar so I went to the bar and ordered pints. Went to pay for them and the fella looked at me funny. FREE BAR!!!

I rang another friend who was still outside to tell him what was happening and while I'm standing there on the phone I turn around and Dave Grohl is beside me. Didnt say anything to him but then proceeded up the stairs and said hi to Miles Kane and Imedla May. Both very nice. Then I took a seat next to none other than Lord Henry Mountcharles and, more importantly, a fridge full of complementary alcohol. I had a brief chat with Henry and he seemed sound.

Eventually we got found out after overdoing it on the free champagne and Tayto. Was no-so-politely removed from the area :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Met Liam Cunningham in Belfast. Me brother was making an awful mess of trying to park car outside hotel while I was checking us in. I said well Liam howya and he went what is that clown trying to do out there? I just said laughed and said that's me brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Tony Todd - really friendly, genuine guy.

Kane Hodder - as above, very approachable.

Nicholas Vince - hands down the nicest celebrity I've ever met, chatted with him for about 15 minutes about life, movies, our other halves, just a super happy, affable guy.

Clive Barker - friendly if a little curt.

Alex Vincent - obnoxious as hell.

I don't recognise one of those people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I recognise Clive Barker, him of Hellraiser fame, among other things, and Tony Todd, the Candyman

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I recognise Clive Barker, him of Hellraiser fame, among other things, and Tony Todd, the Candyman

I love the first hellraiser movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

ShimSlady wrote: »
    Met Laura Whitmore at an aftershow party a few years back. She was rude to everyone except the A listers. A classic case of social climbing if you ever saw it!

She came into a bar in Bray once around 2009 when a old friend was working behind the bar. It was mad busy and he was getting the drinks out to customers. Of course Laura Whitmore chimes up after she has to wait more than a few minutes "excuse me do you know who I am? I'm Laura Whitmore" my friend simply responded with "and I'm Andrew, what's your point".

Apparently had a big sour on her face and my friend went back to serving drinks as if the little interaction never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Kane Hodder was Jason in the Friday the 13th movies. I think Jurgen was at a Horrorthon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Kane Hodder was Jason in the Friday the 13th movies. I think Jurgen was at a Horrorthon!

Kane Hodder was also a really really bad Ed Gein, but the less said about that whole film, the better :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Coolio
    Ryan Phillippe
    Ryan Tubridy
    Paddy Casey
    Lily Allen
    Bronagh Gallagher
    Ian Brown
    Holly Madison
    Marianne Faithfull
    Linda Evangelista

Also, in my youth I worked part time in Brown Thomas and assisted quite a few celebrities/exchanged small talk

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dickangel

Don Conroy.

Drew a picture of a seal inside the cover of my book about seals. Only asked for his autograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

Boris Becker at an ATM in London, his card wouldn't work and didn't get any money out. Funnily enough was declared bankrupt about 2 years later.

Asked him why he wasn't in China as djokovic was there and becker was his coach at the time. He said he was on the way, seemed very flustered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Eddie Macken
    Fcuker wouldnt give us his autograph

UB40 tour bus pulled up outside our local shop
    Gave us all autographs. We hadnt a clue who they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

sligojoek wrote: »
    Here's a mad one,

One day I called unexpectedly to see a friend of mine. He's a (now) retired civil servant. As we werree drinking coffee. I could see him watching the front window now and again but thought nothing of it,

Next thing the doorbell rings and he said "wait til;l you see who's at the door.

It was Johnny Logan, With a photographer and a driver.

My friend had entered into some european civil service draw and won a few quid. Johnny and co. arrived with a cheque and a photographer for the CS magazine.

Once the formalities were over, a bottle of whiskey was opened and we had a great afternon. The driver and photographer lad had great patience.

This was an episode for Father Ted that never made the cut,can imagine Ted trying to shove Johnny out the door and johnny pushing back asking will he give another bar of whats another year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Cliff Richard. Met him when I worked as a rent boy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Cliff Richard. Met him when I worked as a rent boy.

Was it on a summer holiday?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

tipptom wrote: »
    This was an episode for Father Ted that never made the cut,can imagine Ted trying to shove Johnny out the door and johnny pushing back asking will he give another bar of whats another year.

You reminded me. I was only 19 or so and working security at lansdowne road, ireland were playing Romania I think it was in a World Cup qualifier, and it was belting down rain, anyways Dermot was early to leave and he was literally Ted, doing that thing you only see irish priests do really where you rub your hands together and smiled at me and he goes ‘grand soft evening’.

He was even wearing the navy blue three quarter length button up coat :)

Lovely man by all accounts. His work on scrap Saturday now in brexitastrophy would be golden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Met Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche about 35 years ago. Both very enjoyable company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

(killer)-Mike Render and el-p and their TrackStar the Dj. They are Run the jewels meet them multiple times sound lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

I became a huge cycling fan after Roche won everything in '87 and would always watch the Nissan Classic(Tour of Ireland) I managed to get the magnum of champagne the stage winner in dublin got one year, Olaf Ludwig I waited for an hour outside the Gresham Hotel for him to come out. Angry angry man.... that EPO really messes with people. He did sign the bottle in the end but was not happy. I was so innocent I didn't even drink the champagne left in the bottle. It was good stuff too.
    Up to Dublin airport and waited outside the restaurant of the hotel for the RMO team looking for Charlie Mottet's(my new hero)autograph 2 hour waiting and he just walks past me. Some of the other lads were cool. There were about 15 fans hanging around the hotel. The race was late in the cycling season so a lot of the pro's were selling their gear. We were in some of the guys rooms buying tights, shorts, training gear etc. I still have my RMO helmet and champagne bottle in my parents garage somewhere.

Sinead O'Connor, around 1999 weird AF. She was hiding out from the press, the hotel I was working in owner had a small private apartment nearby on parliament st, it was supposed to be used as an over spill for the hotel but the owner used it as a knocking shop where his wife couldn't find him(I have stories about that) Sinead spent about 7-9 days there. I had to bring her food and stuff on a few occasions. Very odd person, very shy.

Mickey Rooney, very nice old man hard to believe when I met him he'd been the biggest star in Hollywood 70 years before. He still had the same smile and a light in his eyes. A total gentleman.

Patrick Bergen, meh full of himself but not a bad person.

Another hotel and a certain irish rugby captain with a 'friend' who was not the model who was famously his girlfriend at the time. Nice guy but it was hard to keep a straight face he knew it too, gave me a wink on the way to the lift upstairs.

Dickie Rock, wanker

Brendan Grace, wonderful guy and was really nice to my mum.

The wolf tones, very strange dynamic. This was when there were still the 4 of them. 3 of them didn't talk to 1 of them wives included.

Denise Irwin. Not friendly

Jimmy Carr, smarmy but I think it all part if the act.

A few other celebs, political failures, sports stars and musicians over the years but never spoke to them long enough to say I had a conversation with them.

Both Liam and Noel Gallagher both threatened to kick the crap out of me from the stage at a gig one night which I thought was hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Ultrflat wrote: »
    (killer)-Mike Render and el-p and their TrackStar the Dj. They are Run the jewels meet them multiple times sound lads.

Class, where did you meet them? Love the second album.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

chrissb8 wrote: »
    She came into a bar in Bray once around 2009 when a old friend was working behind the bar. It was mad busy and he was getting the drinks out to customers. Of course Laura Whitmore chimes up after she has to wait more than a few minutes "excuse me do you know who I am? I'm Laura Whitmore" my friend simply responded with "and I'm Andrew, what's your point".

Apparently had a big sour on her face and my friend went back to serving drinks as if the little interaction never happened.

i'll add this to the list of things that categorically did not happen. she was barely known in 2009 for one, and for two, as someone who has spent a lot of time in her company...she's acutely self-aware and those words would never come out of her mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

bitofabind wrote: »
    i'll add this to the list of things that categorically did not happen. she was barely known in 2009 for one, and for two, as someone who has spent a lot of time in her company...she's acutely self-aware and those words would never come out of her mouth.

Well that conforms that then.

Laura Whitmore uses Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Never met anyone famous :(

I saw a dog that looked like lassie once and went to stroke it and bloody thing turned away and walked off... quite embarrassing

Never met anyone famous :(

I saw a dog that looked like lassie once and went to stroke it and bloody thing turned away and walked off... quite embarrassing

Which lassie?

The first one would be near eighty today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Have briefly met lots of rugby players and footballers at corporate pre-match events over the year but it's usually just a standard hand-shake and 2/3 minutes of small talk. One that stood out from them was Serge Betsen - an absolute gentleman (in contract to his on-pitch style) and ended up having a few pints with him after the game.

Had dinner with Ronan O'Gara a few years ago - one of his sponsors threw a client event for approx 20 people - plenty of chat from him, but definitely felt like he was "going through the motions". The Mrs was in UCC whilst ROG's career was taking off, and he had a bit of a reputation back by all accounts.
    Spent an afternoon with Dan Carter a few years ago as well through the same company - nice genuine guy. Niall Quinn was as the same event, but as a guest to meet Carter :D.

Stayed in a self-catering house in Lahinch a few years ago, and Paul O'Connell & family had the house next door to us. Very friendly, came across as a very normal family TBh.

Myself and the OH ended up sitting beside Robbie & Claudine Keane in Fade St Social a few years back. Dylan McGrath came down and started chatting to Claudine, ignoring Robbie, so he struck up a conversation with us - very nice guy but couldn't say the same for his wife.

Went to school with a few members of a well-known boyband - one of whom now lives a few doors down from my parents. Nice down to earth guys, except for one who was a d1ck before becoming famous and hasn't changed since. No prizes for guessing who :pac:

Advertisement