Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous people you have met/chat with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,889 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

blackwhite wrote: »
    Went to school with a few members of a well-known boyband - one of whom now lives a few doors down from my parents. Nice down to earth guys, except for one who was a d1ck before becoming famous and hasn't changed since. No prizes for guessing who :pac:
    Sometimes you say it best why you say nothing at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Bassfish wrote: »
    Class, where did you meet them? Love the second album.

In Dublin man, Yeah its a great album. I prefer RTJ 3 there's way more insults thrown at trump. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Both Liam and Noel Gallagher both threatened to kick the crap out of me from the stage at a gig one night which I thought was hilarious

Why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭malarkus

Few years ago I was out for dinner in a restaurant in Albufeira with friends and at the table behind us appeared Bonnie Tyler and Cliff Richard. Cliff, dressed head to toe in tanned leather, was quiet (clearly keeping a low-profile after the BBC defamed him during Yewtree couple months before). Bonnie, drunk as a fart and twice as mad, insisted on toasting the Irish and told us a dirty dick joke involving a napkin. Only later we realized the restaurant was on Rua Sir Cliff Richard, he owned the place.

malarkus wrote: »
    Few years ago I was out for dinner in a restaurant in Albufeira with friends and at the table behind us appeared Bonnie Tyler and Cliff Richard. Cliff, dressed head to toe in tanned leather, was quiet (clearly keeping a low-profile after the BBC defamed him during Yewtree couple months before). Bonnie, drunk as a fart and twice as mad, insisted on toasting the Irish and told us a dirty dick joke involving a napkin. Only later we realized the restaurant was on Rua Sir Cliff Richard, he owned the place.
    I hate to break it to you but it sounds like Cliff given his complexion was just walking about in the nude...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

gmisk wrote: »
    Sometimes you say it best why you say nothing at all...

Pretty sure it's the other boyband from the North West

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Was it on a summer holiday?

Negative,it was Christmas time,tempted him in with mistletoe and wine!

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's the other boyband from the North West
    Oh if its them....I have heard that two of them are complete spanners hence the confusion...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Oh if its them....I have heard that two of them are complete spanners hence the confusion...

Only ever heard mention of the one who won I'm a celebrity

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Only ever heard mention of the one who won I'm a celebrity
    He seems to be particularly horrible the other one is also an "@rse" apparently though too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Quite possibly - but only 3 of them went to school together - one of whom was, and still is, a bell-end. The others were landed in by Louis Walsh to make things look a bit more "marketable".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭mistersifter

^^^ why are we skirting around the fact that your man Kian Egan is an absolute a*sehole?

Many others have been mentioned by name and this fella is an infamous twat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

^^^ why are we skirting around the fact that your man Kian Egan is an absolute a*sehole?

Many others have been mentioned by name and this fella is an infamous twat.

Met him in Gatwick in 2009 and we chatted for about 10 minutes while his mrs was signing autographs and getting pics taken. Came across as sound

• Registered Users Posts: 30,586 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm 99% sure I got George Hook stuck in a lift before for a few minutes.
    He was nice about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Graham Dwyer - he used to admire my polo-neck shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,586 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

vriesmays wrote: »

What was he like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

vriesmays wrote: »

He designed that building H&M is in beside the gaiety. Yes the one with the big bizarre stabby Knife coming out over the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Kevin Rowlands, lead singer of Dexys Midnight Runners....met him in a cafe in rathmines many moons ago..wasn't too pleased that i recognised him he was having a quiet coffee in a corner at the time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

tipptom wrote: »
    Negative,it was Christmas time,tempted him in with mistletoe and wine!

It’s so funny that you don’t talk anymore

fryup wrote: »
    Kevin Rowlands, lead singer of Dexys Midnight Runners....met him in a cafe in rathmines many moons ago..wasn't too pleased that i recognised him he was having a quiet coffee in a corner at the time

Did he do a runner?

• Advertisement

Sat next to Jake Gyllenhaal at breakfast, at the airport hotel in Abu Dhabi. Hadn’t a clue who he was except that the staff were making a very quiet little fuss over the quiet mustached guy digging into his cornflakes right beside me. I’m not big into films at all and can barely name any actors. I heard the waiter ask “Jake, are you over here filming?”, I retreated to room to google Jake+Film, when I saw an airport news magazine with his face and name plastered on the front.

Gay Byrne once put his hand on my shoulder on Christmas Eve in Grafton Street, saying “could I get by there, darling”.

I once held Pat Kenny’s pint of Guinness in the RTE bar as he popped into the gents. I had brought a guest into studio to appear on Kenny Live.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

One Sunday morning I was opening the bar of a hotel on Lough Derg in Tipperary. Gay and Kathleen came in dressed all nautical from their cruiser. after ordering coffee he asked me was there anywhere to buy a newspaper. The local shop didn't sell papers. I got a stand-in and drove 3 miles to the next village and got him the Sindo and the Sunday World.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

sligojoek wrote: »
    One Sunday morning I was opening the bar of a hotel on Lough Derg in Tipperary. Gay and Kathleen came in dressed all nautical from their cruiser. after ordering coffee he asked me was there anywhere to buy a newspaper. The local shop didn't sell papers. I got a stand-in and drove 3 miles to the next village and got him the Sindo and the Sunday World.

K was probably in search of the cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Not met too many over the years but here's a few

Jon Bon Jovi - My hero growing up and is the only time I can remember being genuinely star struck. Was very quiet but nice and friendly, got a photo with him and had a quick chat.

Phil X - Guitar genius and seriously totally cool and just full of energy, he'd chat to you all day about guitars and music and has such a big personality.

Joe Elliot - Met Joe many times and had some great evenings with him. He's an acquaintance I met trough a friend many years ago and I was always amazed at how cool and down to earth he is, you'd never know he was a rock god.

The Darkness - Was out with them many years ago after they supported Metallica, sound lads (except the drummer) and we're just enjoying the rock n roll ride! Justin the lead singer really is a head case and hilarious.

Stuart Lancaster - the day after Leinster's European Cup win, dropped into the pub I was in and met Shane Jennings, who I hadn't noticed behind me... We'd actually crossed paths several times in the past but never had the chance to chat, but he remembered me and we exchanged pleasantries. Saw him coming out of Tesco a couple of days later and I was met with a big hi and a hand shake.

Bressie - Most people I know who've met him say he's an ar*e, but I found him pleasant enough.

Gerry Ryan - Used to work next to The Schoolhouse and you'd be guaranteed to find him there on a Friday afternoon. Absolute gent and met him often enough he'd know my name and always make sure to say hi.

Shane Lowry - Now, I'm including him although we've never actually met. He would regularly drink in my local, but over the years our paths never crossed, but everyone says he is one of the nicest friendliest people they know. So its only fair to spread the good word.

Worked in a pub in London for a while and one of the lads on the staff was friendly with a few of the pogues who were playing a concert nearby.
    He was saying that he would bring them back afterwards from the concert and we said "Yeah sure".
    About two o clock sure enough my man was banging on the window with a worse for wear Shane McGowen and Spider.
    Drinking away and Spider starts losing his sh*t over a missing matchbox and little old me being the problem solver and convivial host that I am went in behind the ramp and threw him out a new box of matches,cue everyone paused in silence with a look of "get back to the village,it pines for its idiot look".
    Spider,after much crawling around a dirty darkened after hours pub floor eventually found his matches but like Alan Partridge and his hotel drawer I never did find out what was in that box.

Sean Connery once told me to"Get of the track you fuc*ing idiot" from atop a slow moving steam engine train while filming The Great Train Robbery when myself and friend played who stays longest before jumping of the rails.

Friend to the stars me.

I'm surprised Shane didn't locate the box. He'd a great nose for that sort of thing.:D

Gay Byrne reads the Sunday World?

It was reasonably common to see them around Nenagh and down by the lake, back in the day. One of their daughters lives in Ballina, and had a gift shop on Mitchel Street in Nenagh.

Gay Byrne reads the Sunday World?

It was reasonably common to see them around Nenagh and down by the lake, back in the day. One of their daughters lives in Ballina, and had a gift shop on Mitchel Street in Nenagh.

It was 1991. I think he had a column in it at the time. This was in Dromineer and they'd come from Portumna in a cruiser. I think it was before the daughter came to Ballina.

I think he was doing an advertorial for Emerald Star Line. Been a while now. My memories of those days are fairly hazy

I'm surprised Shane didn't locate the box. He'd a great nose for that sort of thing.:D

The two of them were niggling at each other all night so Shane didn't put himself out looking for Spiders magical matchbox,awks!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I once held Pat Kenny’s pint of Guinness in the RTE bar as he popped into the gents. I had brought a guest into studio to appear on Kenny Live.

"Hold my pint, I need a shite" in Pat Kenny's voice.

Advertisement