Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous people you have met/chat with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Probably a dime a dozen but I had a little exchange with Glen Hansard.

I was at a Wilco gig in Vicar St in 2009 with a visiting friend.

Afterwards while just outside I spotted him chatting with one of his mates.
    Was a fair bit drunk and wanting to impress my friend and seeing as we were all heading in the direction of Christ Church I approached and asked did he enjoy the gig. One or two words about that while we were walkin down the road, and I told him I'd seen The Swell Season a while before.

All the while he's still keeping up with his own mate, so the conversation sorta faded and I got the impression maybe I'd been a bit rude just butting in like that. After a minute or so of walking along along not saying anything, we got to a point where me and my friend had to cross the road.

I kind of just wanted to sneak away quietly at this point as I was feeling bad for approaching, but then a few seconds later I hear him shouting across to me 'Alright, see yas now' or something like that.

Bit of a nothing story, but it just left me with a really nice impression of him. Often celebrities seem to come across so detached from the world around them. He seemed to be a real genuine down to earth sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,674 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The wife was involved with the homeless campaign at Christmas few yr ago. They occupyed some office block?

She said Hansard was as sound as they come

Jim Sheridan full of himself constantly lookin for attention. Kept demanding that RTÉ call him or something.

Said bono rang was put on speaker and sang a Christmas carol

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

Saw Billy Connolly walking down Baggot Street one day. Went over to him with a notepad and pen and asked him "do you want my autograph?" I've never been great with words.

He said "not really, but you can have mine."

Went to my mam's house one day and supermodel Agyness Deyn was in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Doc07

A few highlights (or lowlights!)
    Residents bar of a hotel with Keifer Sutherland
    Fake arm wrestle with Lou Ferrigno(Incredible Hulk)
    Shared a hotel lift with Mel Gibson(both of us drunk)
    Called a c!nt by Mick Hicknall

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Was a fair bit drunk and wanting to impress my friend and seeing as we were all heading in the direction of Christ Church I approached and asked did he enjoy the gig. One or two words about that while we were walkin down the road, and I told him I'd seen The Swell Season a while before.

All the while he's still keeping up with his own mate, so the conversation sorta faded and I got the impression maybe I'd been a bit rude just butting in like that. After a minute or so of walking along along not saying anything, we got to a point where me and my friend had to cross the road.

I kind of just wanted to sneak away quietly at this point as I was feeling bad for approaching, but then a few seconds later I hear him shouting across to me 'Alright, see yas now' or something like that.

Bit of a nothing story, but it just left me with a really nice impression of him. Often celebrities seem to come across so detached from the world around them. He seemed to be a real genuine down to earth sort.

Young chap in Glasgow few years back was busking to get money to go see Hansard and had his guitar stolen on the street. He heard about it via twitter and got the lad up on stage at the gig to play and gave him a guitar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I used to play in a rock band in the 80s and we were playing a gig in some boozer in Dalkey. Phil Lynott was back in Ireland(it was post Lizzy)and it was rumored to be his local. We were praying he would show up at some stage.

Anyway we are three or four songs into our set and we see this tall dark figure appear at the back of the crowd and of course it’s Phil. We are all aware it’s him and play the rest of the set as if our lives depended upon it.

A way set finished, we head to the bar and Phil walks up to us and says “nice set and I liked your twin guitar lines. I’ve played with a few”. We were of course awe struck, even if it was the slightly bloated and not long for this world Lynott. A very large brandy in his hand, he still looked as cool as ****. He had a couple of drinks with us and chatted away and was as nice as could be. Hard that star quality about him alright. A real presence and charisma. A real memory to cherish.

Also met a few at a rock gig at Dalymount Park the same decade. Somehow managed to get backstage passes and met and chatted to Lemmy from Motörhead who was also sound as a pound. My mate that was with me at the time made it into the paper with a picture of him getting his hair pulled by Lemmy.

Also met Ian Gillian and Tony Iommi Of Black Sabbath. Yes, for those who know Gillian he was the singer from Deep Purple and a solo artist but bizarrely spent a brief time as the Sabbath front man. Anyway they were pleasant enough without really being memorable.

Another one I met at the gig, who is even more obscure but may be better known because of their recent documentary, was Lips from Anvil. They were on the bill but I met him in the crowd. He was out to see Black Sabbath and was sound. Just a big music fan who couldn’t believe he was getting to see Sabbath even though he was on the same bill.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1 on Lemmy. Bumped into him in the late 80's and we got to talking about all sorts of things over a few pints. Really sound bloke and very quick witted with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Nice story and it seems like he thought about it after you left and actually took the time to make you feel a bit better about it and shouted over the few words to you which did actually achieve just that.

Seems to be a really nice compassionate fella who unfairly take a bit of flak from some quarters.

Any Irish lad makes an episode of the Simpsons(albeit a sh*te one) is a star in my eyes and doubledowns on it by being a nice fella despite the begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

tipptom wrote: »
    The two of them were niggling at each other all night so Shane didn't put himself out looking for Spiders magical matchbox,awks!!

Was that before the breakup or after the reunion. I'm guessing the former.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Was that before the breakup or after the reunion. I'm guessing the former.

Yeah,around the time before the breakup,maybe the match box was the final straw for Spider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Spider's been on the dry for a good few years. Had many a chat with im while I was drunk and he was sober. He's a very interesting bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Jade Bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I've met a few.

I was an extra in the film Becoming Jane so I met some during filming.
    Anne Hathaway was lovely but wouldn't stop singing, so we were delayed a lot.
    James McAvoy came over for a chat during a break. So kind and friendly and made time for everyone in the room.
    Julie Walters was another lovely person.
    I was disappointed with Maggie Smith. She stood in the middle of the room and ignored everyone. I was and am a huge Harry Potter fan so I was disappointed by that.

Sat beside Michael O'Leary on a flight to Manchester. He gave me his newspaper when he was finished with it. He was really lovely.

By far the best for me was meeting Matt Willis (from Busted). I am a huge fan and went to see him when he was in Wicked on the West End. We waited for him at the stage door. He stopped and spoke to every single person, took pictures and signed autographs. The second time I waited for him, he was rushing off to lunch but he saw me waiting on him and he came straight over to chat to me. Gave me a kiss on the cheek too. Absolute hhighlight of my life!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

2010 I was a volunteer with Special Olympics .when Paul O'Connell arrived he was mobbed but he loved it. Inn the last day I had my then 4 year old daughter with me. Got a fab photo of her in Paul's arms and she loved him. ANY time afterwards she would see Paul on telly she'd say "that's my friend Paul".

Also met Eamonn Coughlan - surprised he wasn't that tall but still was nice. Also met Keith Woods - lovely guy.

Walked around Limerick with Des Cahill ..again for Special Olympics and he was sound.

Met Ray Houghton and Pakie Bonner on a charity golf fundraiser - both total gentleman. Pakie Bonner was very interested in hearing about my family and siblings with special needs.

Kinda knew Dolores O'Riordan - again worked with her mother in a charitable organisation. Nice person but a bit kooky but I have to say Dolores was very generous to the charity I and her mom volunteered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrenMar

I met Princess Anne when I was a charity shop volunteer.
    She asked me a question but her accent was so plummy I had to get her to repeat it. So she did, slower and louder....
    She was quite tall and her bodyguard was lovely.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    K was probably in search of the cure.

Oh...….ohhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,674 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Have met rakes of gaa heads over the years I’ll keep it to a short list of well known ppl who come to mind in a good way.

Mick o - sound, very savvy businessman. Serious operator. Sharp as a tack.

Sean boylan - great raconteur. Story for every occasion in a good way. Enthusiastic about life in general. I’d say he wakes up every day in good form. Honestly could be a professional comedian he would have every laughing.

Paidi - Wild man in a good way. Very very proud of who he was and where he from. Kerry to the core. Very true to himself

Mickey Harte - Met him in a religious setting. Very very sincere and genuine man. A real student of the game. Philosophical.

Dermot earley-v impressive. Organizational genius

Con coulihan - sound. Another man who would talk all day and all night about Gaelic football. Learned a lot from him.

And Michael murarataigh Ex RTÉ. Gent to his core. Would talk to anyone and treats everyone with utter respect and. Dignity. Pleasure to be in his company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭fitzparker

My Brother was only a kid maybe 7 or 8 at the time in the early 90's and saw bono in town, followed him to try get an autograph.

Came back to my parents crying and we asked whats wrong

turns out he followed him into the toilet and shouted over the cubicle "bono can i get an autograph"

the reply was "fcuk off kid im taking a shiite

This story still does its rounds in our family every so often!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Living in England in a particular well to do town. There are 7-8 professional footballs clubs all within about 45 mins drive. The town is the place for all the footballers to live so I regularly see footballers in restaurants and out and about.

A legendary ex Irish international lives up the road. Seen him out a few times and even bumped into him in House of Fraser a few years ago...browsing the men's jeans section.

In fact in my line of work I have personally dealt with some famous people. The first one is a well know DJ and was in BB years ago (to be fair more famous in England). I genuinely had no idea who she was and her name meant nothing to me until a colleague told me. I Googled her...big mistake.

She hung around with a lot of footballers, tabloid stuff, topless pics, FHM shoots- you get the pic. keeping a straight face when she was next in with me was hard with those images in my head. She was sound but completely hyper- while she is attractive I wouldn't notice her in a pub. Amazing how hot she looks in pics and mags.

I currently doing some work for a well known footballer (retired) played WC for England, on Sky Sports on a regular basis, won a few league titles- he can hardly write his own name.

Sorry but I am leaving out names.

Grew up and played with plenty of inter county footballers with AI titles but not including them.

Do they all have injunctions on you naming them on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Do they all have injunctions on you naming them on boards?

No. It's my choice- discretion dear boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

Met a couple of over the years:

Slash: met him and his wife walking around temple bar in 2011. Very quiet, almost shy, but was very nice. He was also surprisingly short, which I found amusing given his larger than life persona.

Liam Neeson: Bumped into him walking around New York. Lovely man, I was surprised how old he actually looks in person.

PewDiePie: Queued for coffee behind him. Very quiet guy.

Biffo: Was on the junior council as a teenager. Met him and a bunch of other guys from FF. This was just after the crash. Seemed very tired, not very charasmatic. Smelled like crisps.

Gerry Adams: Shook hands with him at mass. Very tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

No. It's my choice- discretion dear boy.

You've not said anything different to others on here already that have named who they met.

I was placed sitting next a footballer at a wedding a few years ago.

To be fair he retired in the early 90s and not really a household name. I had never heard of him- way before my time. But he won an FA cup with Ipswich in 1978, league and European Cup with Villa in 1982. Sound out and chatted to him all night.

He was telling me that Irish young lads who go to England for trials just don't listen and ask too many questions! They think they are a lot better than they are in reality which I can believe.

Works as a scout for the English FA now scouting international teams. His wife kept pestering me for a dance as she loves Irish guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I served Benny Hill coffee in the Montague Hotel back in 1984 and showed Johnny Giles where the mirror was in the changing rooms in Portarlington swimming pool. Niall Quinn shoved me out over the way one night after Arsenal played Rovers in Milltown.

What a pathetic list!😊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Living in England in a particular well to do town. There are 7-8 professional footballs clubs all within about 45 mins drive. The town is the place for all the footballers to live so I regularly see footballers in restaurants and out and about.

A legendary ex Irish international lives up the road. Seen him out a few times and even bumped into him in House of Fraser a few years ago...browsing the men's jeans section.

In fact in my line of work I have personally dealt with some famous people. The first one is a well know DJ and was in BB years ago (to be fair more famous in England). I genuinely had no idea who she was and her name meant nothing to me until a colleague told me. I Googled her...big mistake.

She hung around with a lot of footballers, tabloid stuff, topless pics, FHM shoots- you get the pic. keeping a straight face when she was next in with me was hard with those images in my head. She was sound but completely hyper- while she is attractive I wouldn't notice her in a pub. Amazing how hot she looks in pics and mags.

I currently doing some work for a well known footballer (retired) played WC for England, on Sky Sports on a regular basis, won a few league titles- he can hardly write his own name.

Sorry but I am leaving out names.

Grew up and played with plenty of inter county footballers with AI titles but not including them.

Jamie carragher and zoe ball

Mad_maxx wrote: »

No. Don't believe Jamie Carragher won league titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Mad_maxx wrote: »

JC never won a "few league titles" unf

We had an actor in with us a few years ago. He has been on Holby City and Eastenders and pops up in a few things every now and then.. We were doing work for his elderly father and he was in helping him. In fact we both had to lift his father out of the building into his wheelchair.

The girls in the office ran down for autographs. He was pretending to be all shy and bashful. Then he actually pulled out postcard sized pics of himself from his manbag and signed them. Cheeky fecker...lol

To be fair he was sound and a smooth fecker. Wouldn't leave him alone with the wife for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I can understand not mentioning the currently working with celeb, but no names on the other two is a bit useless.

It's like saying "I know a very famous celeb personally, but I won't tell you who"

Also, I would have said Jodie Marsh, didn't she do a bit of Dj'ing for a while, among other things?
    Or one called Rebekah comes to mind as well, big enough DJ in England etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've met famous people but I wont say who they are.

Advertisement