Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous people you have met/chat with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭mistersifter

A questionable interpretation of the word 'famous' in .

Not sure I'd describe most RTE presenters, fair city actors or women rugby/GAA players as famous.

Being somewhat in the public eye and/or well-known among in certain social circles in Ireland isnt famous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Not sure I'd describe most RTE presenters, fair city actors or women rugby/GAA players as famous.

Being somewhat in the public eye and/or well-known among in certain social circles in Ireland isnt famous!

Ah now:) It's all relative. Even the term famous..or infamous. Locally famous. Henry Shefflin would be considered famous by a large number of Irish people, not by others and certainly not internationally. It depends on your interests too. If some met Cillian Murphy in the morning they mightn't know who he is, and they'd be in the minority.

So few get to meet seriously famous people..say Morgan Freeman, that they have to make do with Bela from Fair City:D

Also we're replying to Laois man who says he's famous:D So obviously our choice is limited in our guessing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Some famous Laois GAA players ;)

Brian Rigney, represented Ireland in rugby in the 1990s.

Anna May McHugh, posing as a man.

Zach Tuohy?

The actress who played Lou in Fair City in the 1990s:D

The actress who played opposite Pat Shortt in Mattie.

Allison Miller, ladies rugby star.

Lad, they can't be that famous if most of us have to Google every name you have listed out. Fairly sorry list- you need to get out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Eleysian

Cleo Laine and Johnny Danksworth
    Mia Farrow at the Quinnsworth checkout in Baggot Street
    Spike Milligan
    Jamie Lee Curtis and John Boerman at cinema in Stillorgan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Lad, they can't be that famous if most of us have to Google every name you have listed out. Fairly sorry list- you need to get out more.

Better than your imaginery celebs, Biggins. Go on, tell us more about the celebs you cannot name :rolleyes:

Ah lad. Lighten up. We're only messing that there aren't many famous people in Laois. It's all gone over your head.

No need for the passive aggressive response. You'll probably have to google that too:D

Living in England in a particular well to do town. There are 7-8 professional footballs clubs all within about 45 mins drive. The town is the place for all the footballers to live so I regularly see footballers in restaurants and out and about.

A legendary ex Irish international lives up the road. Seen him out a few times and even bumped into him in House of Fraser a few years ago...browsing the men's jeans section.

In fact in my line of work I have personally dealt with some famous people. The first one is a well know DJ and was in BB years ago (to be fair more famous in England). I genuinely had no idea who she was and her name meant nothing to me until a colleague told me. I Googled her...big mistake.

She hung around with a lot of footballers, tabloid stuff, topless pics, FHM shoots- you get the pic. keeping a straight face when she was next in with me was hard with those images in my head. She was sound but completely hyper- while she is attractive I wouldn't notice her in a pub. Amazing how hot she looks in pics and mags.

I currently doing some work for a well known footballer (retired) played WC for England, on Sky Sports on a regular basis, won a few league titles- he can hardly write his own name.

Sorry but I am leaving out names.

Grew up and played with plenty of inter county footballers with AI titles but not including them.

Jaysis that'll do boss. 'Particularly well to do town':D:D

No offence but i think you'd bore the bol*ix off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Massively Off Topic, read the OP , " Famous People " :P

In fairness to Alison she gets it over the line... she is quality btw, I so would.

86ccac2e3a1fb5755a69fe421ddca1e8.jpg--alison_miller_rugby.jpg

alison-miller-ireland-rugby-women_3286841.jpg?20150407121542

"Hangs her own shelves" I'd say.

Had a few fags with Ryan Tubridy. Very nice fella, I'd say a bit quiet and self conscious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Had a few fags with Ryan Tubridy. Very nice fella, I'd say a bit quiet and self conscious.
    He's a smoker? Surely not?!?

He's a smoker? Surely not?!?

He was at the wedding I was at. But there may have been an element of hiding out the back, as you can imagine what it might be like to be Ryan Tubridy at a wedding full of 18-75 year old drunks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Jaysis that'll do boss. 'Particularly well to do town':D:D

No offence but i think you'd bore the bol*ix off me.

Ah Jaysus you hardly expect millionaire footballers to living in some ****hole Council estate ridden backwater. The town is well known for being home to footballers and is also listed in the Top 10 least economically deprived areas in England. Now I don't live in that part. I slum it a few miles away in a 3 bed semi.

I'd be far too interesting for you anyway...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

To put some context on this, my Dad's 80 this year.

He's not your typical 80 year old. Currently on wife #3 and barred out of his local for sucker-punching a loud-mouthed Trump supporter....when he was 78.

He grew up in a working class area in Crumlin in the 1940's. He loves Guns and Roses, Kappa sports wear when gardening or demolishing his neighbour's shed (on request) and is better informed on current affairs than me. His local nickname is "Al Cappuccino" because he has an uncanny resemblance to Al Pacino and goes "HOO HA!" when drunk. Which is often.

Famous people tend to gravitate to him, rather than the other way around. He started his working life as a Page Boy in the Gresham Hotel aged 14 in 1954 and met all the Hollywood greats that came over.

He later drove buses for CIE for many years and ended up becoming a professional driver, driving REM on their first Irish tour in 1983 and later was Ron Wood's full time driver when Ron relocated to Kildare in the 80's.

Every so often we'll go out for pints and he'll tell me about his 'missing years' in the UK in the 60's, hustling David Essex at pool, drinking Brendan Grace under the table and coming back to Ireland driving Frank Kelly.

And that's only the stuff he is bothered to talk about. He just drops these stories into everyday conversation like it's normal. Like they are normal people who just happened to be famous. Which I suppose, in all honesty, they were.

As a professional driver he never dishes the dirt, no matter how hard I try to probe him or ply him with whiskey. After telling me the story of getting barred from his local, he let out a sigh and said "The problem with me is that I'm 80 going on 21".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,816 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

To put some context on this, my Dad's 80 this year.

He's not your typical 80 year old. Currently on wife #3 and barred out of his local for sucker-punching a loud-mouthed Trump supporter....when he was 78.

He grew up in a working class area in Crumlin in the 1940's. He loves Guns and Roses, Kappa sports wear when gardening or demolishing his neighbour's shed (on request) and is better informed on current affairs than me. His local nickname is "Al Cappuccino" because he has an uncanny resemblance to Al Pacino and goes "HOO HA!" when drunk. Which is often.

Famous people tend to gravitate to him, rather than the other way around. He started his working life as a Page Boy in the Gresham Hotel aged 14 in 1954 and met all the Hollywood greats that came over.

He later drove buses for CIE for many years and ended up becoming a professional driver, driving REM on their first Irish tour in 1983 and later was Ron Wood's full time driver when Ron relocated to Kildare in the 80's.

Every so often we'll go out for pints and he'll tell me about his 'missing years' in the UK in the 60's, hustling David Essex at pool, drinking Brendan Grace under the table and coming back to Ireland driving Frank Kelly.

And that's only the stuff he is bothered to talk about. He just drops these stories into everyday conversation like it's normal. Like they are normal people who just happened to be famous. Which I suppose, in all honesty, they were.

As a professional driver he never dishes the dirt, no matter how hard I try to probe him or ply him with whiskey. After telling me the story of getting barred from his local, he let out a sigh and said "The problem with me is that I'm 80 going on 21".

By the second paragraph I had this thanked. Gas stuff altogether.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

sugarman wrote: »
    Olga Kurylenko, stunningly beautiful women who was extremely down to earth. All too happy to pose for few pics with fans even when wearing next to nothing in Baltic Dublin weather at the above premier.

Born in Russia/Ukraine sure not a bother to her!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I am a famous person but I won't say who I am! :D

First thought - has to be Colm 'Wooly' Parkinson sure there is no one else famous from Laois?

Looked up Laois - notable people'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Laois#People

Bernard O'Shea was on it for some reason....

So I can only assume that Bernard edited Wikipedia put his own name in it and removed Colm Parkinson's?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

I met a bunch of telenovela actors once in Mexico, who aren't famous at all outside of it but massive there. Had no idea of them myself.

Stephen Hawking, though he was just technically in the same room. I didn't speak to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

President Trump. It was the longest and most beautiful conversation you could imagine, in fact crowds of people gathered around to listen to us, it was a truly wonderful moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Only famous person I can claim to have spoken to is Padraig Harrington a few years back. It was the pro-am event in Adare and I chanced upon him on his own near the end of the event.

I decided to approach him just to say hello and asked for his autograph.

He was as pleasant and gracious with me as he is on tv, was in no hurry and we had a nice little chat for a few minutes and of course, I got his autograph.

A grand guy, no airs & graces or notions at all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I met this fella chris chellios once at an after show party after a gig in Chicago. Still no idea who he is really but we got on like a house on fire. Later was told he’s the Michael Jordan equivalent of the ice hockey world. I didn’t talk about ice hockey or know who he was so obviously it never came up. Probably why we had such a great laugh over many beers. Lovely guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

fr336 wrote: »
    President Trump. It was the longest and most beautiful conversation you could imagine, in fact crowds of people gathered around to listen to us, it was a truly wonderful moment.

Fake News:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

Brian Lenihan.

Actually that was around the time of the bank guarantee*.

Disclaimer: I don't support Fianna fail, before anyone decides to starts giving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Comhra wrote: »
    Only famous person I can claim to have spoken to is Padraig Harrington a few years back. It was the pro-am event in Adare and I chanced upon him on his own near the end of the event.

I decided to approach him just to say hello and asked for his autograph.

He was as pleasant and gracious with me as he is on tv, was in no hurry and we had a nice little chat for a few minutes and of course, I got his autograph.

A grand guy, no airs & graces or notions at all.

Not the biggest golf fan but I always liked Harrington just for seemingly coming across as a really decent, down to earth unaffected, happy go lucky damn nice fella.

I wonder if he was a more of a prîck and more ruthless would he or could he have been driven to have converted the umpteen second place finishes he’s had into wins... ? Hard to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

optogirl wrote: »
    Now we know you're lying :P
    Optogirl.. No lies met all them over numerous years.. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭The Rooster

A friend of mine hates his guts!

Great story she has about him being at a dinner party in Kildare where, while seated at a table, he was "intimate" with the girls on either side of him at the same time!

(This was before he was with his current partner.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

A friend of mine hates his guts!

Great story she has about him being at a dinner party in Kildare where, while seated at a table, he was "intimate" with the girls on either side of him at the same time!

(This was before he was with his current partner.)

We'll need more than that, don't worry about being explicit, there is a thread going about women getting the clit blasted off them in AH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

We'll need more than that, don't worry about being explicit, there is a thread going about women getting the clit blasted off them in AH

The clit blasted off them? Must be different thread to the one I saw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

optogirl wrote: »
    The clit blasted off them? Must be different thread to the one I saw

Slight exagggg for reactionary purposes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Ah Jaysus you hardly expect millionaire footballers to living in some ****hole Council estate ridden backwater. The town is well known for being home to footballers and is also listed in the Top 10 least economically deprived areas in England. Now I don't live in that part. I slum it a few miles away in a 3 bed semi.

I'd be far too interesting for you anyway...:D

It's not Prestbury in Cheshire is it?

Advertisement