Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous people you have met/chat with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭trashcan

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    It's impossible to not like Kevin kilbane

Yeah, twould seem so. Always come across as sound.

I met Michael Stipe in Easons of all places about twelve years ago. He was just browsing the magazines with no one bothering him.Don’t really do starstruck but a I was a huge REM fan back in the day. To my eternal shame I didn’t really engage him in conversation. I just asked him for a handshake, and him with an armful of magazines. Ark ward handshake with the wrong hand ensued. Bit embarrassing, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

First thought - has to be Colm 'Wooly' Parkinson sure there is no one else famous from Laois?

I'd say your guess is decent. Its definitely not Noel Fitzpatrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

5-6 years ago I took my young (3/4 at the time) fella back to a local hotel with a leisure centre to go swimming just to kill some time. It was New Years Eve.

There was this rather tasty yummy mummy in the paddling pool also with her young child. In a bikini and rather pleasing on the eye. Had some interaction as the kids just stared at each other and played a few times. I remember thinking how much she looked like Imelda May but thought no more of it.

On the way out of the hotel afterwards there was a billboard with Imelda May's mug on it as she was performing there that night to bring in the New Year.

A few years ago I flying back to Cork late one night and Donnacha O'Callaghan was also on the flight (playing with Worcester at this stage). He stuck to himself and had the front row seats to himself but this random English lady just started chatting to him at departures etc and while she was not loud it was late and the airport was practically empty- everyone could hear her.

She was just chatting to him asking all sorts of personal questions but she clearly had no idea who he was. O'Callaghan was a bit embarrassed just wanted to hide which wasn't easy considering his size.

Met a good chunk of the Irish rugby team both past and present. Know one or two personally.

Met Mícheál ó Muircheartaigh in a filling station. My back was turned to him when he walked in but heard his voice when he was paying for his daysul and immediately grabbed my attention. Said hello to him and a few words of gibberish. I was a tad star struck to be fair. Lovely man.

Met Bressie at a hotel bar. Had to look twice to make sure it was him. He saluted and said hello. Seemed grand.

Met Jo Guest at either a bike or car show I was at about 17 or 18 years ago. I was barely a teenager. Actually had a chat with her and got a pic. Well, she did the chatting. I tried to act normal. Didn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Brendan Gleeson came into the shop I work in not so long ago and I ran over to get a photo with him like a big child 😂 poor fúcker was only trying to buy a chicken fillet roll, The General and In Bruges would be some of my favourite films so I couldn't help it 😂

My father was in UCG in the mid-late 70s and one night the Boomtown Rats tour bus picked them up as they were hitching back from Dublin to Galway.

This was before there international breakout but it kills him to say Geldof was sound as he hates him now as a sell out Irish hating West Brit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Brendan Gleeson came into the shop I work in not so long ago and I ran over to get a photo with him like a big child �� poor fúcker was only trying to buy a chicken fillet roll, The General and In Bruges would be some of my favourite films so I couldn't help it ��

I was hovering around the parking spaces outside the Mater one evening waiting for a good spot to come free. One did and an Audi blemmed into the spot ahead of me. Thankfully I got a spot a couple of seconds later a bit further away.
    Was walking past the Audi and climbing out was Brendan Gleeson. I was in the process of trying to construct a joke about him being too quick, and somehow trying to incorporate something about his brother who used to be one of my teachers....it was all getting to complex in my head, so I gave him a nod instead. Got the nod back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Here paddy, why didn't you post all these extra stars yesterday instead of the "mystery celebs" you led us up the garden path with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Can't compete with those stories. Years ago in Canada, I went to the pub instead of organizing a ticket to a Bowie concert and who should walk in afterwards but the man himself. He sat at the bar talking to the barman for several hours and drank a feed of Guinness. I was tempted to disturb him but couldn't think of any good reason to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

PartyGuinness, was that in Killarney? I was backstage there one NYE and a clown got thrown out by security for trying to get an upskirt photo of her.

Remember we saw the actor John McKinley (Scrubs and Wall Street) downstairs in the Q Bar years ago. He has Irish family. His brother (it had to be) was the head off him too. They were just standing around not having much fun.

Big man though.

sligojoek wrote: »
    PartyGuinness, was that in Killarney? I was backstage there one NYE and a clown got thrown out by security for trying to get an upskirt photo of her.

It was actually. I wasn't at the concert though.

Here paddy, why didn't you post all these extra stars yesterday instead of the "mystery celebs" you led us up the garden path with

Can't give the audience what they want. Leave them wanting more..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Remember we saw the actor John McKinley (Scrubs and Wall Street) downstairs in the Q Bar years ago. He has Irish family. His brother (it had to be) was the head off him too. They were just standing around not having much fun.

Big man though.
    McGinley

• Registered Users Posts: 21,048 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

had a whisky back stage with Johnny Kelly from Type O Negative (then Danzig)

he was telling me the one time type O played in Irleand airport security looked at his passport and said "johnny kelly? sure with name like that you don't need a passport"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

This is a long one but bare with me.

about 12 years ago I was in india for a 6 month backpacking trip, I happened to land in Dharmshala the night before the Dali Llama gives his annual 2 week lecture/sermon at his residence in the town. For those who don't know it it is located at the foothills of the Himalayas and is a genuinely amazing place not just for beauty but for the Tibetan in exile culture that permeates the place. Anyways, I am not a buddhist but there were a **** tonne of buddhists from all over the world crammed into this little village. On the morning of the first lecture I decided I'd chance my arm and go down and watch the dali llama give his lectures. It was interesting but without an FM radio to tune into the translation service it got kinda boring after a couple of hours, it was like listening to a tibetan Eminem.
    So I snuck back up the town before the lunch rush, found a lovely little cafe and took out my book. Shortly after the hoards arrived and into the cafe walks this dark haired, quite attractive north american girl accompanied by your stereotypical looking buddhist monk, they were both head to toe dressed in safron, he had the proper monk get up on. They sit down beside me and they start to chat, their coffees arrive. A Latte and a Cappuchino. The cap for herself and the Latte for the monk but he was having none of it. Took a look of distain at it and despite her protestations refused to even look at it. She got a little flustered and so I interjected with a 'Monks, eh???' kinda jesture.
    Needless to say this didn't go down well, she completely blanked me and I went back to my book thinking she was very rude

Stick with me, over the course of the next week I saw this girl several times on the street and I gave her the nod the odd time and a half wave another and each time she just plain ignored me. I was like what a total bitch

At the end of the lectures they had this massive concert to celebrate the week(s). I was down the back drinking bad whiskey with a few trainee monks that I bonded with playing counter strike in the local internet cafe. Over walk two canadian girls I had met earlier in the week and one of them says 'You'll never guess who we saw on the street earlier.... Alanis Morrisette!!'

Gang of us in the Viper Room along quays 17-18 years ago hammered at 3am. Met Eamon Dunphy there in great form but clearly more hammered than we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

It was actually. I wasn't at the concert though.

You were at it alright,did you get your phone back of the bouncers?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Gang of us in the Viper Room along quays 17-18 years ago hammered at 3am. Met Eamon Dunphy there in great form but clearly more hammered than we were.

I bumped into him when he was falling out of Lillies one night. Started an Eamo! Eamo cheer, then gave him a hug and a big kiss on the cheek.

• Advertisement

Pretty much the entire Irish rugby team from around 2007 on tour and on the lash.

All sorts of mischief and antics that can never be put down in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Pretty much the entire Irish rugby team from around 2007 on tour and on the lash.

Just dont make a Whatsapp group to talk about it. Could come back to haunt ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I'd say you are a couple of posts away from being re-branded as Walter:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,234 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya see ya can’t leave us hanging like that

I'd say you are a couple of posts away from being re-branded as Walter:cool:

Ah Jaysus would you ever feck off you miserable git.

I getting flash backs to an incident a good few years ago out in a pub/club. Out one night and this random girl was convinced I was some minor celebrity (obviously must have looked like him). Now she had been quizzing my buddies beforehand and they just told me well, not to deny it. She spent ages looking at me from a distance all doe eyed.

For the life of me I cannot remember who I was meant to look like but it was some minor celebrity that I had never even heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,048 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

adox wrote: »
    I used to play in a rock band in the 80s and we were playing a gig in some boozer in Dalkey. Phil Lynott was back in Ireland(it was post Lizzy)and it was rumored to be his local. We were praying he would show up at some stage.

Anyway we are three or four songs into our set and we see this tall dark figure appear at the back of the crowd and of course it’s Phil. We are all aware it’s him and play the rest of the set as if our lives depended upon it.

A way set finished, we head to the bar and Phil walks up to us and says “nice set and I liked your twin guitar lines. I’ve played with a few”. We were of course awe struck, even if it was the slightly bloated and not long for this world Lynott. A very large brandy in his hand, he still looked as cool as ****. He had a couple of drinks with us and chatted away and was as nice as could be. Hard that star quality about him alright. A real presence and charisma. A real memory to cherish.

Also met a few at a rock gig at Dalymount Park the same decade. Somehow managed to get backstage passes and met and chatted to Lemmy from Motörhead who was also sound as a pound. My mate that was with me at the time made it into the paper with a picture of him getting his hair pulled by Lemmy.

Also met Ian Gillian and Tony Iommi Of Black Sabbath. Yes, for those who know Gillian he was the singer from Deep Purple and a solo artist but bizarrely spent a brief time as the Sabbath front man. Anyway they were pleasant enough without really being memorable.

Another one I met at the gig, who is even more obscure but may be better known because of their recent documentary, was Lips from Anvil. They were on the bill but I met him in the crowd. He was out to see Black Sabbath and was sound. Just a big music fan who couldn’t believe he was getting to see Sabbath even though he was on the same bill.

I've never heard a bad word spoken about Lemmy! Another musician told me he himself was in a bad place mentally around 1980 and Lemmy used to bring him to his house and helped get his head back together....(he also said the rest of motorhead were cnts :))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I’d love to see a thread about mad stuff nobody would believe but actually happened you with or in company of celebrities. I have a good few but as I said. Few would believe it. And I’m not a dick so I’m not posting the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

17 years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

( 1)Zbigniew Preisner, (2) David Gray, autograph and brief chat.

Advertisement