Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous people you have met/chat with

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I must admit I have shared rooms/restaurants/pubs/planes with loads of famous people.

But as a rule I have never bothered them or hassled them. I would basically ignore them, they are entitled to their own space and privacy. If they engage in conversation I would absolutely be polite about it, but otherwise I leave them well alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bombaby1974

phutyle wrote: »
    Slayer met me and my mates once. Walking down O’Connell street years ago (1994?) on our way to Fibbers. Heard a shout from two guys standing outside The Gresham. Turned out to be Tom Araya and Kerry King calling us over for a chat and asking where to hang out. Tom was sound, Kerry was quiet. Think they ended up going to Bruxelles.

You actually sparked my memory and inspired me to post....
    Mat AC/DC in 1990 when they were attempting to record the Razors Edge in Windmill lane. Basically went on the hop from school for a few days and met them a few times a day as they went in and out. We had just about everything we owned signed and even bought stuff when we ran out. All of them were really friendly and never had an issue stopping for a chat and a photo. Malcolm was, of course very quiet and we only got to meet him on a couple of occasions but the rest of them knew our names by the end of the week.
    When they were leaving, Brian Johnson and Chris Slade brought us to the Dockers for a "Bowl of soup" as he put it and me, not wanting to get killed for smelling of drink had a coke. Went home and told my Mam about it and she said "Jaysus you should have stayed for a few pints"!!
    Ah well.

This time last year we got to meet Iron Maiden on the Legacy of the Beast tour.
    We were scheduled to meet Steve Harris in Birmingham at an Iron Maiden FC football match against Villa Stewards (cousins mate works at Villa Park and made arrangements).

In Manchester we happened to be staying in the same hotel and met Rod Smallwood (Manager) before the gig so we knew we were on to something, so after the gig we went back to the hotel for a quick shower and then up to the residents bar.
    Sat talking to Nicko McBrain about brewing after he asked if we went on the Trooper brewery tour, Chatted briefly over beer to Adrian Smith and Bruce Dickinson and had a good ol chinwag with Janick Gers about Dublin, Thin Lizzy and general stuff.

Next day we got the bus to Birmingham and indeed met Steve at the match and got loads signed.

Did not get to Meet Dave Murray (I believe he is fairly quiet and keeps to himself but the rest were absolute gents.

Not a weekend I'll forget in a hurry and will probably not stop talking about it til I'm dead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Porklife wrote: »
    That's really disappointing cos he's so funny in interviews and I would have thought he'd be lovely. Shame.

I mean maybe he is like; a fleeting 30 second encounter with a barman is hardly cause to judge the man at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I also got into a Facebook row with Chris de Burgh drunk off my ass one Saturday night when I was home if that counts. It was the time Mandela died and he put up a status about “the lion sleeps tonight” or some nonsense. I posted a comment pointing out he was a hypocrite and broke the cultural boycott by playing in South Africa and lo and behold the bould Chris responds banging on about fact finding and the like.

There was a bit of back and forth but before he blocked me I managed to get in the question “what the f*ck were you playing in South Africa for Chris surely they’d suffered enough?”

Arsehole :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

FTA69 wrote: »
    I mean maybe he is like; a fleeting 30 second encounter with a barman is hardly cause to judge the man at the end of the day.

Simon Pegg is a notoriously difficult man in real life. He knows that himself. He’s a number of years in recovery from alcoholism, and hates having to give interview or pretend he’s having the laugh with fans. He said as much himself.

• Advertisement

Bob Geldof in Dun Laoghaire, he started off with me talking about the redirection signage put in place by Dublin Bus and how useless it was.
    Dead on fella.

Fintan O'Toole in now closed Boyers restaurant. Dead on fella too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Chaz Palminteri from The Usual Suspects in New York nice guy
    John Hurt Dublin premiere of The Field as was lovely
    Richard Harris years later on Grafton Street amazing
    James Cromwell lovely lovely man
    Geoffrey Rush arrogant
    Luka Bloom lovely
    Larry U2 accidentally knocked me over
    Green day nice guys
    Members of All About Eve lovely
    The Stunning Hot house flowers lovely
    Loads of other actors and singers mostly really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

The two nicest celebs I've ever met are Robert Plant, unbelievably polite man

Please tell us more about THE rock god!

We are not worthy !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Malcolm O’Kelly when he was playing for Ireland though I didn’t know who he was. He and a few Leinster players who I also didn’t know came over to the table me and a group of my friends were at on a college night out. In fairness, they probably weren’t too far wrong in thinking we were low hanging fruit. So many girls love rugby players. But they picked the wrong bunch. Only one the group knew who they were and none of us were into rugby players.

O’Kelly was very nice though. He was telling us about his wife actually. I don’t think he was the driving force behind them coming over. It was a V sleazy Leinster player who’s name genuinely escapes me because he didn’t play for Ireland so I’ve not a notion. They wandered off and struck gold in another part of the establishment, surrounded by a gaggle of excited chung wans (like college age, nothing dodgy).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Malcolm O’Kelly when he was playing for Ireland though I didn’t know who he was. He and a few Leinster players who I also didn’t know came over to the table me and a group of my friends were at on a college night out. In fairness, they probably weren’t too far wrong in thinking we were low hanging fruit. So many girls love rugby players. But they picked the wrong bunch. Only one the group knew who they were and none of us were into rugby players. O’Kelly was very nice though. He was telling us about his wife actually. I don’t think he was the driving force behind them coming over. It was a V sleazy Leinster player who’s name genuinely escapes me because he didn’t play for Ireland so I’ve not a notion. They wandered off and struck gold in another part of the establishment, surrounded by a gaggle of excited chung wans (like college age, nothing dodgy).

I am sure Mrs O’Kelly will be delighted!

• Advertisement

I am sure Mrs O’Kelly will be delighted!

Didn’t I say he was nice and talked about his wife the whole time and wasn’t sleazy?

One of my sisters lived, until recently, two doors up from Eamon Dunphy. He and his wife seem lovely, friendly.

I lived next door to Nell McCafferty many years ago. She's as mad as a box of frogs, and very, very funny. She's been discarded by the Irish media institutions since Harneygate, which is a shame, but is still to be seen out and about in Ranelagh, having a glass of wine or talking to the taxi drivers at the Triangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

FTA69 wrote:
    Adams persona is bullsh*t. Fact, and I’ve seen what he’s really like more than once.

Elaborate please.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Would meet a good few famous heads through work (but wouldn’t be chatting to them that long bar some small talk)

have to say, out of them all:
    Nicest was a toss up between Brendan Gleeson and Seamus Heaney
    Most unassuming for his status was Daniel Day Lewis
    Cheesiest was Michael Flatley by a country mile
    Most distracted was Bob Geldof (to be fair he was organising live 8 at the time)
    Biggest cock was Harold Pinter (actually the only one who was like that).

Outside of work the biggest celeb would be Lionel Richie. Met him in Heathrow, got a picture with him and then he asked if he could get one with my wife (who took the pic and hadn’t wanted to be in it). Really lovely chap!

One of my sisters lived, until recently, two doors up from Eamon Dunphy. He and his wife seem lovely, friendly.

I lived next door to Nell McCafferty many years ago. She's as mad as a box of frogs, and very, very funny. She's been discarded by the Irish media institutions since Harneygate, which is a shame, but is still to be seen out and about in Ranelagh, having a glass of wine or talking to the taxi drivers at the Triangle.

I kinda love Nell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

Neil Lennon - Sound
    Stiliyan Petrov - Sound
    Christy Digam - Rude
    Dermot Bannon - Sound
    Ronnie Whelan - Sound
    Tony O'Donoghue - Rude
    Carol from Fair City - Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

When I worked in a restaurant, served a number of Irish celebs

Hector, The Frames, Madge from Neighbours, Mick Lally, Sharon Ni Bheoilan(although she didn't tip) were all pretty sound.
    Tommy Tiernan was a little bit difficult, but alright. The lad who does Dunphy in Apres Match was a pr!ck
    Also served Hollywood actor Aidan Quinn, who was a gentleman

In more recent times, have met John O'Shea who is a ridiculously nice guy

And the one monumental bellend who deserves a mention is Cillian Murphy, absolute diva, and was exceptionally rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The Sharon thing doesn't surprise me in the least. Attractive woman for sure but has the head of a c**t

• Registered Users Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    An Alsation with glasses.

You don't get to be one of the head honchos in the IRA unless you have a certain type of personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Oasis: Liam Gallagher is a very sound man. Noel Gallagher is more stand-offish but sound. Dedicated a song to me at a gig abroad which was good. Bonehead - legend.

Stone Roses, briefly. Seemed sound.

Paul McShane. Had pints. Bang on.

John Giles and Liam Brady. Sound.

Never met Bono but I did meet his son at a gig a few weeks ago and he seemed alright. Good singer too.

Met a few more, too. Cant really think of one that stood out as being a prick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Brian Downey of Thin Lizzy. Total gentleman and great drummer.

Passed by Shay Given in Macclesfield, Manchester one time. He was with his little daughter so didn't want to intrude, just the nod. Quite small for a professional GK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The Shield had to jump the barrier right beside me at an event. Got a sneaky pat on the back with Seth Rollins.

I'm counting that as met...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

idnkph wrote: »
    Elaborate please.....

It will come as no surprise to anyone to hear that Adams in a bad ‘un.

Have never had the ‘pleasure’ of meeting the man myself, but my friends who have dealt with him have nothing only negative things to say about him. Not so much in what he does or says, but more the sense of badness that oozes off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

I worked for the PGA in America for a couple of years. Met nearly all of the big US players and probably all of the journeymen and lesser known guys.

All of them very approachable once they know you’re working for the tour and you aren’t looking for something from them. Because they’re always on the move they’re very used to spending time with just themselves or their “team”. Once you’re a tour employee you’re more or less in their circle.

Rickie Fowler was only coming through when I was on the scene and was brilliant craic. He was trying to build a persona and a reputation for himself as the new kid on tour and was always good fun to be around. I met Woods only once but he was just cool out, he had an aura about him that you just knew you were in the presence of someone great.

The only assholes I met were Nick Faldo and Sam Torrance. Two arrogant ****ers who nobody liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

One person I did end up in a conversation with away from work was Tony Cascarino at the Irish Open poker, which my brother was playing in. I didn't talk about soccer despite being a huge soccer fan. We spoke for five minutes, mostly about my work. Nice man.

Thanks Captain. I appreciate the kind words.

I just googled that incident. Nell used to be all over Irish media. I actually thought the woman had passed away. Glad to know she is still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Jimmy Adams, cricketer. Captain of West Indies at the time, they were playing Ireland in Clontarf. There is a cricket pitch and a rugby field behind it, I was heading out the ground taking a short cut to a gap in the fence by the rugby field, he was walking near the fence, saw him said hello, and congratulated him on a successful tour of India the previous winter. He said thanks and talked for a while, was a very nice chap smiling cool dude Jamaican. Did TV work for Sky after, and was exactly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Donald Trump in 2007. It was backstage at a WWE event in Washington DC. I was working security in the arena at the time, was doing my rounds and passed him in the hallway. Said "how are ya? " to him and he said "live TV is fun, man" and he went back to talking to his buddies. Seemed that he was trying to remember his lines for later.

Also in DC, I met Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin. It was the week of the moon landing anniversary in 1999. Armstrong was a gentleman. Politely refused to sign a hotel notepad, but he was very nice. Aldrin was a bit short with everyone but he scribbled his name for a few people before he said he wasn't going to sign anymore and that he was too busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I had a brief chat with the Scottish comedian Limmy after one of his shows in Vicar St.

He was surprisingly down to earth and VERY funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Payline McLynn after was she performing in a play. She was very nice.
    Enda Kenny, when he was on walkabout in our local town. he was very friendly as well.
    BoyZone. I shook hands with Steven Gately, and Ronan Keating nodded hello at me.

Advertisement