Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous people you have met/chat with

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Boom_Bap wrote: »

What kind of kiss though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

sligojoek wrote: »
    I spent a lot of time with Shane MacGowan in the 90s. Around North Tipp not many people took much notice of him as he was always around and just another one of the lads. He always signed autographs and was happy to pose for photos. More of a pain nowadays as everyone has a phone/camera.

One afternoon we were having a few pints in a pub in Nenagh. Some lad kept asking Shane to sing a song but he didn't want to. After a while it became tiresome and shane asked the guy what he did for a living.

"Oh I'm a carpenter"

Shane, "Well make me a f*cking table then. Make me a table. Make me a table"

He wasn't asked to sing again.

Yeah, I’ve heard a good few professional musicians say, both famous and not, that people just expect them to perform at the drop of a hat.

Not only does everyone deserve downtime but I honestly think a lot of people don’t realise that singing or playing instruments is as tiring as any other work. I sang in a choir a few months ago for the first time in years and I had forgotten how draining it can be. I enjoyed it but it was tiring. And that was just an amateur choir.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Cypress Hill
    Sinead O'Connor
    Mackie, Fun Lovin' Criminals drummer for a time.
    Ronan Keating
    "Bubbles", "Julian" and "Ricky" of Trailer Park Boys
    Shane McGowan

Bunch other known local celebs. Few others I can't think of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Cypress Hill

Big fan of these fellas, can I ask what they were like? I guess they were very "chilled" :D

• Advertisement

Shane McGowan certainly gets out and about.

And a common thread is nobody seems to have a clue what he's saying (same experience myself) except for sligojoek. Must be a very particular dialect to that part of Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,048 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Saw Robert Plant mentioned earlier as a lovely fellah, there's a guy I know who managed to get himself told to fcuk off by Plant. There was quite a lead up and he'll admit it himself that he was the prick in a situation but there was probably at least one passer by there who tells people about how he saw Robert Plant losing the head at some guy out of nowhere!

Sing stairway
    When are led zep playing again
    Sure it's only the drummer you need...

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Big fan of these fellas, can I ask what they were like? I guess they were very "chilled" :D

Yeah, it was in Dublin City centre. They were trying to be discrete and kinda looking sketchy and a little bored. Nobody recognised them but I went up and asked for an autograph. Think they weren't long off the plane and/or tired of touring. Just got a autograph off B.Real. I wasn't a big a fan of Cypress Hill as I am now. Back then when I was a teen, I only really recognised B.Real and Senn Dogg (possibly) and maybe Bobo (thinking back retrospectively).

And meeting Shane McGowan was more funny. He fell out of a van on O'Connoll St. I asked him for a photo and he was super obliging. He even suggested we get the GPO in the background. I think it was Johhny Eagle Jr that took the photo or they were going around to his place. They had just drove back from a gig in Donegal. This was around 2010. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,048 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Henry Rollins.
    Wow.
    Is he as intense in person.

Seems like a very interesting guy. Can you tell us any more about what you talked about

wow.. back in 97 ish i went to see The rollins band in the olympia and collected my tickets early and headed up Georges st towards Rathmines...there was henry in DEEP walking conversation with someone and stopped to say hi..(after i said HENRY and stuck out my hand )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Been lucky to met have loads of famous people and musicians I really admire, but top of the list for being pure sound and funny and happy to hang out and just chat was Dave Grohl. Such a lovely guy. Funny af too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭indiep

Larry Mullen Jr. in the local around Christmas so both had a few drinks on board told him I went to see them in Amsterdam a few months previous he was delighted asked what I thought of the set, let me and the lads get numerous picture. Gent.

Robert Sheehan (from love/hate, misfits) - met him in Lillies, nice and chatty did a shot with him. Legend

Jeff Hendrick - in Lillies after we'd qualified for the Euros in France, told him we go to the games praised him for the cross to Jon Walters against Georgia thanked us for getting tickets for the Euros and said that he always loves the support. Let us get a photo even though he was with his mates, get.

Conor McGregor - met him in a salad bar in town, let everyone take a photo was fairly excited (big fan) so lashed my arm around him and he told me to take it easy on his tshirt in a fairly angry way.

Sheamus (wrestler) - met him in Tesco, lovely lad. let me take a photo.

Gerry Adams - asked him for a selfie outside the Aviva (Dundalk were in the FAI Cup final) said no but got one anyway was in good form..

Danny from the Coronas - met him on the Moulin Rouge road in Paris that the irish fans took over after the Swedish draw he was just chilling in amongst it drinking cans with everyone. We were chatting away to him one of the lads started singing one of the songs half taking the piss and he was like "Ah jaysus he knows the word better than me" nice guy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Forgot this one - Uri Gellar.

was coming back from James Hospital in Dublin in a taxi with my aunt. Hopping out outside the GPO, and lo and behold, here's Uri hopping in to the same taxi.

He spoke with my aunt for a few mins, all round nice bloke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Forgot this one - Uri Gellar.

Hopping out outside the GPO, and lo and behold, here's Uri hopping in to the same taxi.

The spire's not looking a bit out of shape or anything is it?

Bravo :)
    Laughed out loud. It does have a bit of a bend up top

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Only famous person I met, chatted with and got his autograph was Niall Armstrong. Roughly 35 years ago in Shannon airport when I was in my teens.

Oh, the lads from Status Quo in the Savoy Limerick early 80’s and Lloyd Cole.

Class:D:D:D

Flaccus wrote: »
    Only famous person I met, chatted with and got his autograph was Niall Armstrong. Roughly 35 years ago in Shannon airport when I was in my teens.

Oh, the lads from Status Quo in the Savoy Limerick early 80’s and Lloyd Cole.

Neil's Irish cousin?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

And meeting Shane McGowan was more funny. He fell out of a van on O'Connoll St. I asked him for a photo and he was super obliging. He even suggested we get the GPO in the background. I think it was Johhny Eagle Jr that took the photo or they were going around to his place. They had just drove back from a gig in Donegal. This was around 2010. Good times.

That would be right. I was with them in Donegal. Shane was guesting with Sharon Shannon's big band. Was it a few days after xmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Henry Cooper and Morgan Freeman, both at the airport. Morgan Freeman gave my wife a trolly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I don't think I would approach anyone famous if I met them. The only interactions I've had with any were initiated by them. Otherwise I just ignore them.

Sat next to Nicky Byrne on a flight once. He took up a lot of room with a broadsheet paper which was annoying, but he engaged in pleasant chit chat. His wife and children were in the opposite row. They seemed perfectly normal.

I sat near Gabriel Byrne and his wife at a play in the Abbey and ended up standing beside him just outside afterwards. He commented about the play to us. They happened to be walking the same way as us away from the theatre and he said goodnight as we departed a different way. He seemed completely normal.

I've met Bernard Dunne a number of times because we're from the same area. He's a very nice fella.

Hazel O'Connor used to come into a place I worked regularly enough. She was very down to earth and friendly.

Jimmy McGee was a special guest at an event I was involved in. He was extremely chatty to everyone and a bit intense.
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    Met a few heads through the Broadway scene, Gary Sinise, Hugh Jackman, James Gandolfini and Jeff Daniels are (were) all sound, especially Daniels who is a charismatic raconteur to beat anyone!

Daniel Craig is quite a shy and unreadable man and Jude Law is a d**k.

I've always disliked him and found his public persona and antics obnoxious. Never liked any of his films and always assumed he was horrible and was glad I didn't like his work. But I saw him as Hamlet in London ten years ago and he was incredible on stage. I was just so impressed in spite of myself. Sorry to hear he's confirmed as an arsehole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Bono - spoke to him as he sat in his (parked) car in 1997. Was very cool, just chatted about their upcoming album.

Lars and James from Metallica - outside Ringsend studios. Lars was the more friendlier.

JK from Jamiroquai, with Denise Van Outen - just went up to them on the street and said hi. We chatted for a little bit and then off they went.

Colm Meany - in a pub. Again, just went up and said hi and he was very nice.

Evan Dando from the Lemonheads - blagged my way backstage and chatted in his dressing room for a bit. He was very polite (he stood up to shake my hand) and was totally "together".

Pye Hastings from Caravan - no one will know who he is, Caravan are one of my favourite bands. Got to meet him backstage in Antwerp, and he posed for photos with us. Very nice guy. The drummer was the one who set up the introduction (he's a younger guy).

Dave Fanning - funny thing is, he was interviewing me! Was for a music thing. He was exactly the same as he comes across on the radio, nice fella.

Mike McCready from Pearl Jam - saw him walking down Grafton Street pushing a buggy so I said hello. He was with his wife and introduced me to her!

Philomena Lynott - it was at a party. She read my palm using a coin. She was a bit "out there" but also very nice.

Elle Macphearson - she was signing posters in Brown Thomas. I just noticed the queue and decided to join in. She was nice looking. :-)

The three lads from the Cranberries - was after a flight to Boston back in 1995. They were sitting around waiting. Dolores wasn't around.

Bressi from that band - actually a nice fella.

Paul O'Connell - when I met him he was looking at me like he thought he knew me, but we'd never met.

Al Porter

-#MeToo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Aaron Lewis from Staind - Sound guy, very chilled. Happy to spend time with the fans.

Wayne Gretzky - Walked into a bar in Toronto which he owned and the man himself showed up. I didn't bother him because I'm not a hockey fan but he was bang on sound to all the Canadians looking for pictures and autograghs. He's looked at as a god there.

Brian Cowan - Very nice guy.

Enda Kenny - The bold Enda might have come across as a bit dry and drab when he was Taoiseach but he's very personable and has a lot of charisma.

Chris O'Dowd - Met him in a bar in NY. Sound as a bell even though we had his head wrecked talking sh!te. It was late in the night though in our defence. Huge guy too.

Padraig Flynn - Let me tell you, I met him recently. You should try it sometime.

Kevin Kilbane - You'd see him at all the Mayo games. Can confirm Kevin is a gent.

Arthur Boruc - Former Celtic, Fiorentia and Poland keeper. Cool character.

Numerous GAA players/commentators/pundits - Had a pint with the Gooch and his girl (he done well for himself) before an Ireland game in Croke Park a good few year's back. Both great people. Honestly couldn't say a bad word about the GAA lad's. They might not be celebrites to many here but they're generally approchable and would give time for their supporters and kids looking for pictures/autographs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Aaron Lewis from Staind - Sound guy, very chilled. Happy to spend time with the fans.

Wayne Gretzky - Walked into a bar in Toronto which he owned and the man himself showed up. I didn't bother him because I'm not a hockey fan but he was bang on sound to all the Canadians looking for pictures and autograghs. He's looked at as a god there.

Brian Cowan - Very nice guy.

Enda Kenny - The bold Enda might have come across as a bit dry and drab when he was Taoiseach but he's very personable and has a lot of charisma.

Chris O'Dowd - Met him in a bar in NY. Sound as a bell even though we had his head wrecked talking sh!te. It was late in the night though in our defence. Huge guy too.

Padraig Flynn - Let me tell you, I met him recently. You should try it sometime.

Kevin Kilbane - You'd see him at all the Mayo games. Can confirm Kevin is a gent.

Arthur Boruc - Former Celtic, Fiorentia and Poland keeper. Cool character.

Numerous GAA players/commentators/pundits - Had a pint with the Gooch and his girl (he done well for himself) before an Ireland game in Croke Park a good few year's back. Both great people. Honestly couldn't say a bad word about the GAA lad's. They might not be celebrites to many here but they're generally approchable and would give time for their supporters and kids looking for pictures/autographs.

What was Padraig like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

branie2 wrote: »
    What was Padraig like?

Eccentric. I'll leave it at that haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

Bumped into Michael Bublé on the street in Vancouver.
    Was an absolute gent, chatted to us for a few mins and had no problems getting in a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

My name is mentioned in 2 of Shane MacGowan's songs. We've been friends for over 30 years.I'd have met a good few famous heads while on tour with him.
    Namely
    The Dubliners
    Paddy Reilly
    Johnny Depp
    Nick Cave.
    JP Dunleavey
    Matt Dillon
    Kate Moss

I wandered into the VIP aerea of a Pro v celeb charity cricket match in Northampton in 1989 . Had a great evening with Eric Clapton, Bill Wyman, David Essex, Dennis Waterman, Alan Lamb and Ian Botham.

Others.
    Sharon Shannon Absolute lady. We keep in touch on a regular basis.
    Mundy
    Damien Dempsey
    Andy Irvine
    Donal Lunny
    John Martyn
    Ritchie Havens
    Brendan Grace
    Alex Higgins

Plenty more that I can't think of now.

Jaysus that's cool. Do ya mind me asking what songs you get the mention in?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Jaysus that's cool. Do ya mind me asking what songs you get the mention in?

I'd rather not say. It's my full name.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

I'd rather not say. It's my full name.

No bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I met lou reed once; asked him to autograph my newspaper. He flipped it over and signed the accident and injury claims advertisement on the back :pac:

Advertisement