Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous people you have met/chat with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

@ sligojoek

Can you actually understand a word he's saying or do you just nod and smile?

How was the wedding, any craic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Mundy is a nice guy. Bono was very friendly. Dermott Morgan was quite short with me but I was quite young and was obviously annoying him. Al porter is quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I'm a longtime fan of Bono. I fancy him like mad, but I also like and admire him. I've never met him though, despite my efforts. It's probably just as well, judging by the way I reacted when was less than three feet away from me during the Songs of Innocence concert. He was at ground level, not up on the stage, and for a few seconds there was nothing but fresh air and an elbow-height steel barrier between us. The person I was there with was shouting "Give him a high five! Pat him on the back! Do something!" but I lost it. All I could do was smash my knee of the barrier, claw myself on the jaw and silently mouth the word 'Bono.' We made eye-contact for an instant then - and I don't think I'm imagining this - he averted his eyes in disgust. Then he was up on stage in the spotlight and my opportunity had passed.
    If that's how I behave under those circumstances I think it's best if I never come face to face with a certain Mr Attenborough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Hand on heart, I met Hozier in a music shop in Athlone a few weeks before Take Me To Church came out..
    Obviously I didn't know who he was, he was just very tall and playing a small little Takamine.. I was looking at the €2k worth of Lakewoods and the likes on the wall thinking 'why's he playing that guitar when he could be playing something like this? That's €800 and this ones over double that!'

He played the intro to Cherry Wine and I stopped playing to listen, very impressive.

He left the store and I picked up the guitar he was playing to see what it's all about.
    Left it down and went about my business and then he came back in awhile later and bought it.

Long story short, met Hozier and had a private instrumental listen to Cherry Wine before he was famous, and I played his Takamine New Yorker which he's since played all over the world!

It didn't hit me who it was until I saw an interview awhile after hearing take me to church.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Charlie Bird when he was reporting on the 1997 general election campaign in Ennis. I had asked if that was him, and he confirmed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Big Nasty wrote: »
    @ sligojoek

Can you actually understand a word he's saying or do you just nod and smile?

How was the wedding, any craic?

In recent times his speech has slowed down. Probably the years taking their toll. When he was in his prime he was a wonderful conversationalist. H's very well read and has an amazing brain for facts, figures, dates etc.

He was never a great interviewee as he always takes a while to process the question and formulate the words for an answer, which is usually good. But that's no good for Tubbs or Darcy who have a checklist which must be ticked off. He'd be much better for an hour of a chat that was let develop rather than a 15 - 20 min slot.

I wasn't at the wedding. It was very short notice and my passport is out of date.

I don't see him as often these days as he's in a wheelchair and can't get around as easy as he used to. I go up to him in Dublin twice a year and if time allows I go down to Nenagh if he's there. See my own family and kill two birds with one stone. Planning on going down in Sept as he'll be doing a series of interviews with Julian Temple who's in the process of doing a docu about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

Michael Fassbender in Killarney before his first stage in the MK2 earlier this year..... Cool, calm on the outside before the first stage but bricking it on the inside after a small off the day before during a small test run! Once he got through the first stage clean he settled down....

One nice fella....

I've never heard a soul utter a bad syllable about Kevin Kilbane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Met Enya and got her to sign my U2 album. She was a bit perplexed but did it and then signed a poster for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

branie2 wrote: »
    What was Padraig like?

I was at a wedding a few years back, my wife’s cousin. Anyway the groom was related to P Flynn and this was meant to be the highlight of the wedding. He gave a completely inappropriate and over lengthy wedding speech - wasn’t part of the wedding party, just invited to speak. Went on for about 40 minutes. Totally self absorbed. His wife is fond of the bottle and was off her tits on gin way too early which was amusing to watch. Anyway ended up having a piss beside him in the jacks. Even with his knob in his hand he was still trying to hold court in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭BandMember

I once had the pleasure of spending a couple of evenings in the company of the aforementioned Shane MacGowan and some of his close friends. He was a little cagey with me at first (as he didn't know me), but once they explained who I was, he was grand about it and we ended up having great craic over the course of the evening and the evening that followed. When he is in private among his friends, he's one of the most intelligent, witty, curious, inquisitive and talkative people you could met - fantastic company! However, when approached by the public, he reverts to his public persona. It's been said by a number of people before that he's a great actor at times, I'd well believe it.

On a sort of related note, I've also had the pleasure of chatting with and meeting a number of times the legendary Boardsie, the one and only sligojoek! Well, if he is who I think he is..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Firblog

The undertaker in a hotel bar in Stanford in Connecticut during world cup in 94, he was feckin' massive, I'm 6'3" an was a midget in comparison, pint glass was like a short in his hand. He posed for pic with me, lost the bloody camera before getting the film developed :mad:

Walked from plane to baggage reclaim with Big Ian, had a wee chat on the way.

Alan Hansen & Niall Quinn in some bar near Landsdowne Road, both sound chatted away no bother.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Only famous person I met, chatted with and got his autograph was Niall Armstrong. Roughly 35 years ago in Shannon airport when I was in my teens.

Never heard of him. Is he a singer?

poisonated wrote: »
    Never heard of him. Is he a singer?

Well REM had a song about him ish Man on the Moon:D

When he is in private among his friends, he's one of the most intelligent, witty, curious, inquisitive and talkative people you could met - fantastic company!

Bang on.
    On a sort of related note, I've also had the pleasure of chatting with and meeting a number of times the legendary Boardsie, the one and only sligojoek! Well, if he is who I think he is.....

Jaysus that's a curveball.

THe FAI had a conference in Sligo a few years ago. Part of it was a whistlestop tour of small clubs giving out a few quid and tickets to the next international in Landsdowne Rd.
    When they came to our village, out of the coach came John Aldridge, Ray Houghton, Jason McAteer and some guy called John Delaney.

I have long hair and a beard and was wearing a pair of 1970s RayBans. Delaney asked me, was I one of the BeeGees. I said, "No, I'm one of the Wolfe Tones". It was a few weeks after he was recorded singing "Joe McDonnell" after hours in a pub. Oh how we laughed. No time for the man but he's entitled to sing what he wants.

Used to know Cillian murphy(stage name cillian Murphy) as a kid. Nice enough guy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

my.mom saw tom cruise once. does that count? cos ive never met anyone even remotely famous in their own home:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I shared an elevator with some wrestlers from the WWE when I was a kid.

my.mom saw tom cruise once. does that count? cos ive never met anyone even remotely famous in their own home:(

I suppose it counts....unless it was on Hollywood boulevard because if it was, it I was most most likely an impersonator. I saw Michael Jackson there in 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Phil Lynott asked my mom out once. She said no because she thought he would be too wild and partying all the time.

She said he was a total gentleman though.

I met Daniel Lanois outside Westbury once smaller then I expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thewolfisloose

Dolores O' Riordan called me bizarre once.
    I've had a pretty bizarre experience with Sinead O' Connor over the phone.
    I've kissed Philomena Lynott (on the lips!) and she invited me back to her house to check out some memorabilia of Phil's.
    I've met Christy Dignam a few times. All through work.
    I shook Bill Bailey's hand.
    I briefly greeted Bill Clinton.
    I've had Jedward unexpectedly jump into my lift. They're hilarious.
    Aidan Power has presented me with an award.
    I nearly crashed into John Daly rallying around in a golf cart.
    I've spoke to a number of others over the phone too including Gary Breen, Matt Holland, Martin King (soundest guy ever), Katy Perry's drummer, Vogue Williams (also quite sound).
    I've met loads of rock/metal bands too that probably aren't worth mentioning here.
    I was also supposed to go drinking with the villain from Slumdog Millionaire. I was pretty disappointed when that fell through, as you can imagine. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ever not always

Hector, He seemed sound enough in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Half the famous people in the world i wouldn't recognize i bet.

I knew people wouldn't know anthony kearns so I posted a video. I don't know most of the people in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ever not always

I think I saw a lad who acted in Skins, used to be on channel 4 ten or more years ago, maybe it was just a guy that looked like him.

I remember chatting to a guy in a nightclub, telling him he was a famous DJ, and he kept telling me he wasn't that person.

But he definitely looked like him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Jack charlton he was fishing over in mayo. I had a chat with him for ten mins on the bridge in ballina.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

A pub I drink in has a big table of regulars who’s company you can dip in and out of with no obligation to be invited into, or indeed you can leave without drama.

However Mr A in this group can always outdo any conversation, anybody can come up with , he’s gone faster than you ever have , has ridden more women, has been on more holidays ,bigger boats , sandier beaches , warmer swimming poools , colder ski slopes ,,,, you get the idea.

Any way one evening, when the conversation was sparse and Mr A was at the table but was turned around in conversation with somebody else,I purposely dropped the question”who is the most famous person you’ve ever met” ,knowing he’d hear the question in the background and no doubt outdo us all in the famous stakes.

As the answers went around the table , we were getting back the usual , Joe Dolan’s , Bono’s , Enda’s, Charlie’s, etc etc. however one of the lads chirped up that he could safely out do us all and safely win any money that was bet . This lad being quite intelligent, interesting , well travelled and not a spoofer has us well intrigued.

I fought ( he called it played) Vladimir Putin in the Judo world championships in Russia in 1976.... our collective jaws dropped , and Mr A slinked off to the Jax silent , first time I ever heard him out done !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Be right back

Bumped into Fiona Shaw in the English market a couple of years ago. Just said hello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

My mother and I were in the green room in RTE once. A non famous relative was being interviewed so we were there for support. My mom got chatting to the next guest sitting there awaiting his interview, Ardal O'Hanlon. A few minutes later I came over and mom introduced me and then she said "he's on Father Ted!". Ardal and I just smiled ( me very sheepishly). He was an absolute gent, chatty and very down to earth!

Advertisement