Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VAR in the Premier League

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Interesting near the end of the Chelsea Leicester game when the flag went up against James Madison. Everyone stopped and Madison half-heartedly kicked the ball at goal, and Kepa didn't make much of an effort to stop it.
    VAR went through the formalities of confirming it was offside.

I suspect we are eventually going to see an incident where everyone is going to be taken by surprise that a player was actually onside.

Was thinking the exact same thing myself. Players will have to play away. Someone will get stung by stopping as you say. Guaranteed it’ll happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Well that’s silly.

It's fine on balance, as otherwise kicking the ball at a defenders hand would actually become a valid tactic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,620 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm not sure but is it that a handball isn't necessarily a foul one way or the other but only if it results in a goal the goal is disallowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The defensive ones are still open to interpretation are they not?

Yes.

Handball by an attacking team will be penalised every time, but not always defensively. They'll check (from memory) the position of the arm, the proximity to the ball striker, and to what extent the shot was unexpected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Nah, rugby and American Football fans initially celebrate scores though they understand they are subject to review. The sky is not falling.

I get the feeling fans still think the world is out to get them and they thus don't trust the decisions from VAR. But if the decision is correct, no matter how close it was or if it was only a slight graze of the hand, according to the rules it shouldn't have stood.

You are right about NFL fans still getting to celebrate a touchdown, but they know each one is reviewed as well. It will take time to get used to, let's just hope everyone (especially media/broadcasters/pundits) stays calm in the initial stages to help with the bedding in period.

I bet if you go back and read the stories before the NFL introduced replays the same complaints about atmosphere and lack of communication would crop up. What they need to do is have big screens to show the incident to the crowd so they can understand why a decision is made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Heres somethin i was thinkin about the handball, if the ball hits defenders arm while defendin, pen not given by ref, then the ball falls at the feet of his midfielder, he plays first time ball over the top for forward to run onto and scores. Is that goal allowed as they gained the advantage from the ball hittin their own defenders hand while defendin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Heres somethin i was thinkin about the handball, if the ball hits defenders arm while defendin, pen not given by ref, then the ball falls at the feet of his midfielder, he plays first time ball over the top for forward to run onto and scores. Is that goal allowed as they gained the advantage from the ball hittin their own defenders hand while defendin?

Excellent question in fairness - it doesn't seem to be catered for in the new law.
    I suspect the goal would have to be ruled out but quite how the game would be restarted is unknown. An uncontested drop-ball maybe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

monkey9 wrote: »
    He didn't ignore it, he just didn't see it. If he had seen that in real time, he'd have disallowed the goal with the new handball rule in for this season. Hence the introduction of VAR.

He was looking straight at it, an unhindered view from the edge of the box. He can't have not seen it.

The PL have said that they don't want to re-referee the game using VAR and then they do that.

Advertisement