Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we going to have alot of homeless pensioners?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Das Reich wrote: »
    Italy have dozens of thousand of retired people living abroad. The favorite country is Portugal but also Cape Verde and Spain were languages are similar. Large number also live in Bulgaria, South America, and in south of Italy.

Living in the south of Italy is still living in Italy, It never struck me as an expensive palce to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Public services pensions should be similar to private pensions and should not be linked to the salaries of the job they had when working, however public services pensions are almost always going to be better than private pensions because of the compulsory aspect someone joining the public service at 25 and paying in to the compulsory pension even if was to a private pension provider is going to have made 40 to 50 years contributions to their pension at a rate of about 10% of salary which will give them a generous pension.

My 27 years old daughter is in a compulsory pension in the privite sector, however, they are allowed to make very minimal contributions for as long as they like so even a compulsory private pension is not similar to a compulsory public service pension just comparing the compulsory elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I read this morning that the tory think tank believes we should work till 75!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1167028/raise-pension-age-75-says-think-tank

It would certainly help defuse the time bomb of pensions, but it is daunting to think you would have to turn up for work till 75!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

there is a simple solution, most young people massively struggle, some can get a dig out from their parents, to sort a deposit, if they are lucky! I think there should be large increases to LPT. Cant afford them? fine, deferring them to death is an option currently afforded. There is far too much of a gap here of in general, people being very comfortable when they are older v totally screwed when younger.

In general, the ridiculous generosity shown to many, is paid for people, that are themselves, totally screwed and in far worse situations!

free council houses, I mean one of them in Dublin, is a fcuking lottery win!!!

tackling the problem though, would take balls , that no party here has currently!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I have limited sympathy for younger people, pensioners receive the broad backing of the majority so politicians have aprooval to spoil

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I have limited sympathy for younger people, pensioners receive the broad backing of the majority so politicians have aprooval to spoil

what party can I vote for, that arent morally corrupt, that would support the young. In not being ripped off for housing and the constant mollycoddling of the "elderly", when its actually the young , that are "vulnerable"...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what party can I vote for, that arent morally corrupt, that would support the young. In not being ripped off for housing and the constant mollycoddling of the "elderly", when its actually the young , that are "vulnerable"...

Not FF anyway, by far the worst in this regard

Willie o dea is making it his sole objective this Dail term to heap more resources on pensioners

FG are a disgrace too! Labour and the rest of them? probably propose taxing the rich here on 40,000 even more income tax. Banana republic! Pity we cant vote for the Tories here, FG are compared to them. FG are far left in comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mariaalice wrote: »
    Living in the south of Italy is still living in Italy, It never struck me as an expensive palce to live.

You have to do your research even for holidays.

I worked for nearly 50 years and am now retired. I intend to enjoy it before illness or anything else hits me.
    I decided I wanted to travel and see a bit of the world, I never took a foreign holiday when working as I had to pay off loans taken out for my children’s education, mortgage, health insurance etc.
    I don’t go to expensive places like Belgium, France, Germany etc . Too expensive by far. Went to these just after I retired, nice but rip off.
    I have free travel to the airport and have worked out the cheapest places to visit now I.e. Prague, Krakow, Budapest, Parts of Greece and Turkey. Other places in the offing too. Get the cheapest flights too and times / dates don’t matter as I’m always ready now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

How are the young vulnerable exactly? What with their boundless energy for work, their good health, their mobility and education....

I'm firmly middle aged, neither young nor old, but I had a right good laugh at that.

You'd swear lack of dosh in your 20's was a new thing. How did the rest of us manage it? In the 80's, 90's, 00's, no jobs, no employment at all. The dole was the problem, and stuck living with your mammy for eternity... let alone buying or renting. We all headed off for a few years to another country to earn something. Come back with a deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

You might be old yourself one day.If your ''vulnerable' when your young there not much hope for you when your old.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Politics to the Politics forum please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

I just read an article about this yesterday. It is an absolute disgrace. Free travel , free tv license. Hundreds of millions again up in smoke on another fiver for all. The young and youngish in this country are fcuked! No amount of money is too much for rent etc ... but they keep pushing back the lpt review date. Because primarily the pensioners might be hit with a catastrophic hundred euro yearly rise. How many in Dublin are paying e800-900 for a fcuking bedroom in a hour share in Dublin?!

For me, the biggest scandal is the fact that the non-contrib OAP is worth only €11 a week less than the contrib OAP.

So Johnny worked from leaving school at age 16 until he retired at age 66 and he paid PRSI for 50 years; he gets a State Contributory Pension of €248 a week.

His mate Jimmy dropped out of school at 13 and never got a job (although he worked in the black economy for 50 years) so has no PRSI record - yet he ends up getting the State Non-contrib pension of €237 a week.

In effect, Johnny's 50 years of paying stamps are worth €11 a week to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

You have to do your research even for holidays.

I worked for nearly 50 years and am now retired. I intend to enjoy it before illness or anything else hits me.
    I decided I wanted to travel and see a bit of the world, I never took a foreign holiday when working as I had to pay off loans taken out for my children’s education, mortgage, health insurance etc.
    I don’t go to expensive places like Belgium, France, Germany etc . Too expensive by far. Went to these just after I retired, nice but rip off.
    I have free travel to the airport and have worked out the cheapest places to visit now I.e. Prague, Krakow, Budapest, Parts of Greece and Turkey. Other places in the offing too. Get the cheapest flights too and times / dates don’t matter as I’m always ready now.

How is Germany more expensive than Turkey?

Das Reich wrote: »
    How is Germany more expensive than Turkey?

I found Berlin expensive enough for food and drink.
    Ankara was much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Willie o dea is making it his sole objective this Dail term to heap more resources on pensioners

Eh, Willy's sole objective is Willy.

if people worked oh so hard, how in gods name could you be struggling as an OAP, with the welfare wonderland Ireland and all the benefits. Probably an inheritance or two in the bag. Many bought property when it was going for peanuts. Short of a bad investments etc, or having to bail out your kids etc, with ridiculous rent costs, they neednt make me laugh with their "vulnerable".

Pay a thousand a month for a room in Dublin, if you can even get one. Pay a marginal rate over the pittance of 35,000 , and then pay 2,000 a month for a one bed apartment in Dublin. Thats a struggle!

if people worked oh so hard, how in gods name could you be struggling as an OAP, with the welfare wonderland Ireland and all the benefits. Probably an inheritance or two in the bag. Many bought property when it was going for peanuts. Short of a bad investments etc, or having to bail out your kids etc, with ridiculous rent costs, they neednt make me laugh with their "vulnerable".

I work with a voluntary organisation and the sense of entitlement among the vast majority of the elderly is quite staggering!

It is nourished by the likes of Willie "slimy" O'Dea who, like Finian McGrath knows that once you have an OAP's vote by the balls, you have it for life - or even longer!

Portsalon wrote: »
    I work with a voluntary organisation and the sense of entitlement among the vast majority of the elderly is quite staggering!

It is nourished by the likes of Willie "slimy" O'Dea who, like Finian McGrath knows that once you have an OAP's vote by the balls, you have it for life - or even longer!

What would OAP’s be looking for from a voluntary organization?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

..... the state pension is extremely generous, she e should be grand

Are you for real? €248 a week is hardly extremely generous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

C3PO wrote: »

its only generous if you take the pre-conception from the past that you have 2+ kids to come look after you, youre sitting in a home thats fully paid off and you live in a village that doesn't charge dublin prices for things.

If you were living in say castlebar in a paid off house 248 each would probably go quite far for a couple of retirees.

renting and being near dublin though - not a hope.

its only generous if you take the pre-conception from the past that you have 2+ kids to come look after you, youre sitting in a home thats fully paid off and you live in a village that doesn't charge dublin prices for things.

If you were living in say castlebar in a paid off house 248 each would probably go quite far for a couple of retirees.

renting and being near dublin though - not a hope.

if you dont have anyone to look after you

and dont own the house

why the hell would you be sticking around the dearest real estate in the country

jesus once im pensionable youll never catch me competing to throw money at high demand tenancies again. ill be off the back a beyond living like a king

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if you dont have anyone to look after you

and dont own the house

why the hell would you be sticking around the dearest real estate in the country

jesus once im pensionable youll never catch me competing to throw money at high demand tenancies again. ill be off the back a beyond living like a king

ohh as will I, some little village near the shannon , boyle or jamestown or somewhere. But some will stay out of familiarity, stubbornness etc...

What would OAP’s be looking for from a voluntary organization?

Assistance.

Portsalon wrote: »

Assistance.

But what kind?
    They should be well able to manage on their pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

A few spend a lot buying codeine from dodgy sources

Don't enough left for the day-to-day stuff

C3PO wrote: »

Yes I'm for fcuking real, it's far and away the highest in Europe, the cash payment is only the start, there are a list as long as you're arm of added benefits which make it worth about 400 per week

Wake up

But what kind?

Substance addiction, general poor financial management, some people couldn't avoid being short on a grand per week, lifetime of fiscal illdiscipline

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes I'm for fcuking real, it's far and away the highest in Europe, the cash payment is only the start, there are a list as long as you're arm of added benefits which make it worth about 400 per week

Wake up

Itemise please?

And jusitify your other assessment!

Set it against the cost of living here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Substance addiction, general poor financial management, some people couldn't avoid being short on a grand per week, lifetime of fiscal illdiscipline

:eek::p:confused:

Advertisement