Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the end of Democrat front runner Joe Biden?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Not sure how you think a refusal to control borders was the reason so.

I think it's entirely possible to control borders. I think the rational course of action by a US president in January 2020 is to announce a total travel ban on China, and any country which does not implement a total travel ban on China.

That was the sort of 'leader of the free world' direction which was missing. Complaining about PPE production is missing the forest for the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sand wrote: »
    I think it's entirely possible to control borders. I think the rational course of action by a US president in January 2020 is to announce a total travel ban on China, and any country which does not implement a total travel ban on China.

That was the sort of 'leader of the free world' direction which was missing. Complaining about PPE production is missing the forest for the trees.

Covid has been found to have already been in Italy in 2019. But sure, lets focus on China in 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

As long as there people on the planet, there are always going to be current affairs, politics, elections, protests.

We can either have the media cover these stories, or allow the events to go on in a secretive manner. I know which scenario I would prefer.

Most people won't spend time considering if their point of view is being manipulated by the media.

There is too much information, and the effort is too much for too little reward.

https://thedecisionlab.com/biases/framing-effect/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Bush Jr was a terrible president but regardless who was president then the US as a whole would have demanded some kind of revenge so regardless who was in hotseat a firm swift response would have been expected by the population at large.

Had Trump been president in 2001 no doubt in mind he nukes Iran in response.

Can you back up your assertion that Trump would have nuked Iran in 2001 using evidence of military action/over reaction from his term in office?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Yesterday Joe Biden ventured from his basement bunker and traveled to my state of Pennsylvania on a campaign stop. If you recall recently he stated that although he defeated the NRA, 150 million Americans died of gun violence, anyway. Well, yesterday he killed off almost all the remaining US citizens when he claimed 120 million Americans have already died of the coronavirus. Apparently that’s why we need Obamacare, or something.

But no mental degradation on Joe's part... please move along?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

We've performed 1.87 million tests to date. So that's 1 million, 870 thousand million tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

notobtuse wrote: »
    Yesterday Joe Biden ventured from his basement bunker and traveled to my state of Pennsylvania on a campaign stop. If you recall recently he stated that although he defeated the NRA, 150 million Americans died of gun violence, anyway. Well, yesterday he killed off almost all the remaining US citizens when he claimed 120 million Americans have already died of the coronavirus. Apparently that’s why we need Obamacare, or something.

Lame

• Registered Users Posts: 30,703 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

notobtuse wrote: »

Depends on whether it's a new thing, or he has always been this gaffe prone.
    Was he like this in the Senate?
    Bertie would put his foot in his mouth from time to time but nothing to do with age.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Lame
    Very low energy lately. Like Donnie stepping off Marine One after his shambles of a rally last weekend :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Even Trump seems to think he's going to lose..
    The president seemed to acknowledge current polling, which shows the ex-veep up by double digits nationally and leading in most battleground states—including Wisconsin, a must-win for Trump.

And he is going to be president because some people don’t love me, maybe,” Trump said. “And all I’m doing is doing my job.”

And so does Tucker

“Not many people are saying it out loud on the right, but the fact is that President Trump could well lose this election,” Carlson declared. “In fact, unless fundamental facts change soon, it could be tough for him to be re-elected.”

What fundamental facts are likely to change in the positive for Trump over the next few months?

• Advertisement

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Very low energy lately. Like Donnie stepping off Marine One after his shambles of a rally last weekend :(

you seem to have the same series of posts on a loop.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Depends on whether it's a new thing, or he has always been this gaffe prone.
    Was he like this in the Senate?
    Bertie would put his foot in his mouth from time to time but nothing to do with age.

he has been doing this for a long time. the trump supporters keep repeating it because they have nothing else

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1895156,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

We need Trump to keep believing in his own hype, if he gets a modicum of self awareness, he might realise he is a cornered rat and do even more rash things.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

We need Trump to keep believing in his own hype, if he gets a modicum of self awareness, he might realise he is a cornered rat and do even more rash things.

Absolutely - Even the quote I reference above from his interview with Hannity shows his insecurity and narcissism.
    "he is going to be president because some people don’t love me, maybe"

He's going to lose because people don't love him , not because they disagree with policies or whatever , it's all down to his personal loyalty/adoration levels.

For Trump it's all about him and it's utterly binary - You either LOVE him or you hate him and he can only accept total fealty and admiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well he’s already trying to line up his immunity from being indicted by the SDNY in January. They know he’s going to lose, Trumps latest gaffes about Biden being president and completing the wall only drive that home. Trump doesn’t believe he will win, he’s already crushed and he’s setting up his exit strategies.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Even Trump seems to think he's going to lose..

And so does Tucker

What fundamental facts are likely to change in the positive for Trump over the next few months?
    Saying you can lose is a strategy to get people motivated to register and get out to vote. Democrats are doing it also.

What is likely to change? Trump has not yet begun to fight!

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

My guess is he will win thanks to the silent majority.

The continuing degradation of major US cities controlled by democrats, with the recent threats to peace and security, will be instrumental in deciding in Trump's favour.

As will the continuing upward trajectory of the stock market.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Biker79 wrote: »

The continuing degradation of major US cities controlled by democrats, with the recent threats to peace and security, will be instrumental in deciding in Trump's favour.

i think trump will...which terrifies me

i think trump will...which terrifies me
    What has he actually accomplished so far as president to terrify you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

If everyone who died due to the coronavirus in the US had ten close family and friends, that’s going to be probably 2 million people by November who’ve directly lost someone they love due to coronavirus.

You think people will care more about the local Wendy’s getting burnt down than their favourite aunt dying unnecessarily?

• Advertisement

not really much use to the poor whites that make up his base.

KiKi III wrote: »
    If everyone who died due to the coronavirus in the US had ten close family and friends, that’s going to be probably 2 million people by November who’ve directly lost someone they love due to coronavirus.

You think people will care more about the local Wendy’s getting burnt down than their favourite aunt dying unnecessarily?

I don't think this will matter because the response was largely in line with every other countries response.

Note that there were/ are so many unknowns with COVID and decisions had to me made so quickly, that any measure taken to mitigate can be criticised in hindsight, for any country.

Also note that the US has a very high obesity rate, which is one of the compounding aspects of COVID.

People blaming Trump for pandemic outcomes are most likely sufferers of Trump Derangement Syndrome anyway.

I don't think this will matter because the response was largely in line with every other countries response.

Note that there were/ are so many unknowns with COVID and decisions had to me made so quickly, that any measure taken to mitigate can be criticised in hindsight, for any country.

Also note that the US has a very high obesity rate, which is one of the compounding aspects of COVID.

People blaming Trump for pandemic outcomes are most likely sufferers of Trump Derangement Syndrome anyway.

They've failed to flatten the curve. Their death rate is consistently growing. The president decided to hold a rally in a confined space as the pandemic continues and on top of that has labelled face masks as an example of political correctness. They're now dropping funding for testing even though it's far from over.

They've failed to flatten the curve. Their death rate is consistently growing. The president decided to hold a rally in a confined space as the pandemic continues and on top of that has labelled face masks as an example of political correctness. They're now dropping funding for testing even though it's far from over.

Complete nonsense. The rally as held with everyone attending signing a COVID waiver.

Face masks are an example of a virtue-signalling red herring, they are no use outside of confined public areas such as public transport and supermarkets.

Social distancing and handwashing are the key protectors which are behavioural in nature and nothing to do with any direct government action, much less the president.

Complete nonsense. The rally as held with everyone attending signing a COVID waiver.

Face masks are an example of a virtue-signalling red herring, they are no use outside of confined public areas such as public transport and supermarkets.

Social distancing and handwashing are the key protectors which are behavioural in nature and nothing to do with any direct government action, much less the president.

Face masks are not virtue signaling, it's taking precautions that public health experts advise if distancing is difficult which it can be at press conferencing.

In relation to the waiver, if they spread it, then what about the people who have caught it indirectly via that rally? Their actions don't take place within a bubble and they can have a far reaching impact.

So yes, it reflects incredibly badly on him that he chose self glorification ahead of public safety. It also reflects poorly on him that he's taking the path of dropping federal funding for testing...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    He's going to lose because people don't love him , not because they disagree with policies or whatever , it's all down to his personal loyalty/adoration levels.

For Trump it's all about him and it's utterly binary - You either LOVE him or you hate him and he can only accept total fealty and admiration.

This is what works for the average American voter though. It's love me, hate the other guy.

Been like that for years.

What does a waiver have to do with whether or not people may pick up Covid or not because of the environment, the waiver only means that they can't sue the organisers should they get it.

To be fair to him, only 6,000 people in a 19,000 venue made it possible for them to practice social distancing.

Medical experts disagree with your take on the purposefulness of masks btw.
    Guess they only choose their career and up to ten years in college along with 100'2 of thousands of debt so they could post on instagram.

The example set by the President in terms of social distancing was to cram several people in to the White House Press room on a daily basis in MArch and April and invite people to comment while shaking their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Overheal wrote: »
    Trump doesn’t believe he will win, he’s already crushed and he’s setting up his exit strategies.

I don't think he truly believed that he'd win in 2016 and he wasn't the only one either.

But limp across the line he did, because of Democrat complacency.

God help America if confining Joe Biden to his basement, and allowing no press conferences, works. His handlers only bring him out to read scripted text for the cameras, no tough questions, then they stick him back in his basement bunker to be isolated from everything the country is going through. Joe Biden campaign strategy... JUST SAY NOTHING ABOUT THE IMPORTANT ISSUES AND TAKE NO QUESTIONS!

• Advertisement

He's not as good an orator as Obama...clearly...but he is very good.

He was coherent - which is an indicator of cognitive ability. His speech also had a clear structure - intro, beginning, middle and end that was well-paced over 1.5 hours, without a single mistake.

That suggests that he has good cognitive health.

Hannity: 'What are your goals for your second term.'

Trump: 'Well, one of the things that will be really great, you know the word experience is still good. I always say talent is more important than experience. I’ve always said that. But the word experience is a very important word. It’s an — a very important meaning.

I never did this before. I never slept over in Washington. I was in Washington, I think, 17 times. All of a sudden, I’m president of the United States. You know the story. I’m riding down Pennsylvania Avenue with our First Lady and I say, ‘This is great. But I didn’t know very many people in Washington. It wasn’t my thing. I was from Manhattan, from New York. Now I know everybody, and I have great people in the administration.”

You make some mistakes. Like, you know, an idiot like Bolton. All he wanted to do was drop bombs on everybody. You don’t have to drop bombs on everybody. You don’t have to kill people.'

Good orator? He's like a kid trying to do a book report without having read a single page.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement