Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the end of Democrat front runner Joe Biden?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

notobtuse wrote: »
    What is really alarming is the future crop of democrat politicians. Their platforms pretty much all seem to be that they’ll create a borderless fairy tale country, with fairy tale economics, and chalked full of free stuff with no reasonable way to pay for it. Gawd help us if this is the future of the democratic party. How distressing is it that crazy old Joe is the sanest of the bunch?

There are no Democrats running on an open border policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hush you. Don't you know there's no place for facts here!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    I'm not silencing the debate, I'm allowed to give my opinion, and my opinion is Biden wouldn't get elected versus Trump and won't make the Dem candidate to run against Trump either as there are better candidates (Sanders), and I feel strongly about that. I also feel he is a creep, there's plenty of evidence to demonstrate his "hands-on" approach which is disturbing to many.

Polls are famously unreliable and you can easily pick and choose polls which put one ahead and ignore others which suggest otherwise. Even how polls are structured and conducted can be unreliable.
    Touchy feely in 2019 is apparently creepy, in the 1970s, 80s, even the noughties not so much. I'm not bothered by it unless he is found guilty in a court of law. For many people #MeToo and its aftermath has turned concepts of personal space into confusion along with the ever present risk of a lawsuit. From personal experience some Americans have always been a bit freaky about personal space.
    As for the polls, well these are for the Democratic nominee and the trend of polls is in his favour. There will be no more than 4 in the fight IMO and I reckon Sanders is the outsider. I expect Biden to be there or thereabouts. One thing he offers them is the swing states, which squeezes Trump even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yurt! wrote: »
    I'd tend towards agreeing with you but the US military is a major employer of poorer demographics and minorities in America. If there was swinging cuts to the military budget, the cuts will come on the manpower end of things. Lockheed Martin and BAE systems' lobbyists will still ensure they get their lucrative contracts. There probably isn't enough Taco Bell and Walmart jobs to go around for those that would be made redundant.

These folks get extremely good training while in uniform and an education via the GI Bill.

There is also the unfortunate reality that the US military maintains the peace and balance of power in critical areas of the world, most particularly East-Asia.

Most of them are forced into the military to get these benefits. Want some health insurance and education. Better sign up bro!

I disagree with with the US ability to keep peace. From what I've seen in recent decades it's quite the opposite. War feeds the machine. The machine needs war to justify all the spending so it's a never ending cycle of war and has been since the 50's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Probably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Every candidate raised their hand saying they would give Illegals free healthcare. That is an open borders policy not matter how you want to dress it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Overheal wrote: »
    Wow “handsy” “creepy uncle Joe” no match for “grab her by the pussy you can do anything” “I’d date my own daughter” Trump. Somehow.

The two will never be held to the same standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Lying words out of their mouths. They say they aren't running on an open border policy but have no ideas on how to secure the border except to make it pretty much a free-for-all for illegal aliens to get in. That isn't secure.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Lying words out of their mouths. They say they aren't running on an open border policy but have no ideas on how to secure the border except to make it pretty much a free-for-all for illegal aliens to get in. That isn't secure.

They want to encourage immigrants to use proper channels by making them fair and humane. Carrot as opposed to stick. But they have no issue securing the border either.

MrFresh wrote: »
    They want to encourage immigrants to use proper channels by making them fair and humane. Carrot as opposed to stick. But they have no issue securing the border either.
    Proper channels????? That's what Trump wants!!! Democrats seem to do everything to make it that those who don't use the proper channels get in anyway.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement

Proper channels????? That's what Trump wants!!! Democrats seem to do everything to make it that those who don't use the proper channels get in anyway.

Not much good directing people to proper channels if you dramatically reduce their speed and capacity of processing and implement overly strict regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Not much good directing people to proper channels if you dramatically reduce their speed and capacity of processing and implement overly strict regulation.

America is big in to is free market but your further to the right on that than they are.

Armchair quarterbacking. Over 100,000 try to get into the country illegally each month. What great idea do you have to make it work? We have quotas... and can handle the quotas. Perhaps you can take a couple months worth off our hands. Democrats obviously have no plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

BloodBath wrote: »
    Most of them are forced into the military to get these benefits. Want some health insurance and education. Better sign up bro!

I disagree with with the US ability to keep peace. From what I've seen in recent decades it's quite the opposite. War feeds the machine. The machine needs war to justify all the spending so it's a never ending cycle of war and has been since the 50's.

Thank goodness for Trump then as he has not started any wars and in fact pulled troops back form foreign lands to the annoyance of the left wing media, He might be an ass but at least he is a peaceful one.

Armchair quarterbacking. Over 100,000 try to get into the country illegally each month. What great idea do you have to make it work? We have quotas... and can handle the quotas. Perhaps you can take a couple months worth off our hands. Democrats obviously have no plan.

You're talking like you are in the US border patrol. Trump reduced the capacity and processing ability of the ports of entry. Increase the number of official entry points, put more resources into processing entrants at each port, treat people more humanely and fairly.

You're talking like you are in the US border patrol. Trump reduced the capacity and processing ability of the ports of entry. Increase the number of official entry points, put more resources into processing entrants at each port, treat people more humanely and fairly.
    Why? We have quotas! We need to put an end to the loopholes and secure the border... we can ship all who don't qualify over to you. How do you think it should be handled with sooooo many adults trying to get in with children that aren't even there own? Put them up in the Hilton?

Who come NO country ever offers to take any in? They sure seem to believe they know how WE should be doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

'New York Times' poll of the swing states has Biden as the only Democratic candidate beating Trump, but only by a single point.
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/president-trump/poll-boost-for-trump-in-states-crucial-to-2020-election-victory-38661882.html

More polls like this might focus Democratic minds on picking the most electable candidate, even if it's only marginal, as it looks like it'll be a close-run thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Spencerfreeman

'New York Times' poll of the swing states has Biden as the only Democratic candidate beating Trump, but only by a single point.
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/president-trump/poll-boost-for-trump-in-states-crucial-to-2020-election-victory-38661882.html

More polls like this might focus Democratic minds on picking the most electable candidate, even if it's only marginal, as it looks like it'll be a close-run thing.

Biden is a complete goner.
    No return.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I get this weird incestuous vibe off trump. Don’t get it from Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

well he did say he would ride ivanka if she wasnt his daughter. not a normal thing for any father to say.

• Advertisement

I think Biden prefers money, I know, mad right?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

https://forward.com/schmooze/357185/7-creepy-things-donald-trump-has-said-about-ivanka/

When you read such stuff it makes you wonder what the hell is he up to?

I think Biden prefers money, I know, mad right?

yeah that is much worse than admitting you want to shag your own daughter

yeah that is much worse than admitting you want to shag your own daughter

That is a wild sense of humour alright. A very failed attempt. Most unlike his usual very good sense of what's funny.

That is a wild sense of humour alright. A very failed attempt. Most unlike his usual very good sense of what's funny.

i guess we can add inability to comprehend sarcasm to your list of failings

i guess we can add inability to comprehend sarcasm to your list of failings

Et tu Brute.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Biden is a complete goner.
    No return.

Still second favourite for the nomination with the bookies.

Well assuming you're right, if the Dems decide Warren and Sanders are too far off the reservation to beat The Donald, is there a centrist saviour out there for them? Might they coalesce round Buttigeig?

Still second favourite for the nomination with the bookies.

Well assuming you're right, if the Dems decide Warren and Sanders are too far off the reservation to beat The Donald, is there a centrist saviour out there for them? Might they coalesce round Buttigeig?

I think they are going to push Butty forward alright, but I honestly can't see any of the current lot beating Trump except Tulsi Gabbard, if they gave her a chance, but they won't. They want a deep state war monger.
    Butty fits the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Biden was neck and neck with Warren in the polls a few weeks back but now seems to have pulled away again by 3-5 points. Im wondering did Trumps failed attempt to get an investigation on him opened up in Ukraine give him a bit of a bounce? Biden comes out of the mess looking presidential whereas Trump faces months of public hearings on his impeachment. His cries of 'Democratic witch hunt' arent standing up when you've diplomats and intelligence professionals with decades of public service testifying against him.

• Advertisement

Uh, oh! Seems Hunter Biden’s name came up in emails by the Burisma representative requesting the US State Department’s help in adding pressure on Ukraine to end the Burisma corruption probe. I wonder how Joe will slither his way out of this? Sure seems Biden’s threat to hold back a billion dollars plus, unless Ukraine fired the investigator that was looking into corruption of the company his son was on the board of directors, has all the workings of corrupt influence on US policy that House Democrats are accusing Donald Trump of in their impeachment proceedings, doesn’t not?

https://johnsolomonreports.com/hunter-bidens-ukraine-gas-firm-pressed-obama-administration-to-end-corruption-allegations-memos-show/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement