Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the end of Democrat front runner Joe Biden?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

jackboy wrote: »
    Speaking clearly is relevant in a debate, even if your talking rubbish.

Again, everyone here is just attacking trump. Absolutely no one has said anything to defend Biden yet. Why might that be?

Because Trump is such an inept individual to respond by commenting on Biden would in some way validate the view that Trump is a reasonable communicator.

It's like inviting a flat earther on to a show to talk about physics with Brian Cox. They are not the same and the flat earthers incompetence needs to be focused on to definitively prove that they are out of their depth.

You want an example of clear communication from Biden. Try this.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1276930290858905605

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Speaking clearly is relevant in a debate, even if your talking rubbish.

Again, everyone here is just attacking trump. Absolutely no one has said anything to defend Biden yet. Why might that be?

Because every "attack on Biden" that is used is generally something that Trump has already shown himself to be even worse at.

Its like saying standing in dog shít is a disgrace while standing ankle deep in pig shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

There are two areas of weakness in Trumps speaking style.

The first is his NY dialect mannerisms. But they aren't a sign of cognitive weakness, they are colloquial in nature and further enhance his image as every day, no BS kind of guy.

The second is an occasional gaffe. It's hard to say, in these instances, if he is under pressure or if he is trolling the media. He clearly likes to do the latter, but he may also use this to disguise his gaffes.

Importantly though, his gaffes are occasional and not part of a persistent pattern. Which means he is still sharp and capable. His ability to speak coherently as well as off the cuff in front of thousands and a national TV audience clearly supports this.

Bearing in mind he is presenting himself for re-election while still managing his duties as president - so he has double the pressure that Biden has, and he still wipes the floor with him.

So clearly Trump is in far batter cognitive shape than Biden. There's no comparison, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Yes. I'm never left in any doubt as to what Trump means. I think most of it is garbage but that just makes him a bad President. He's a very, very good speaker.

Oh ffs, it's incredible that anybody can believe Trump is a very, very good speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Biker79 wrote: »
    There are two areas of weakness in Trumps speaking style.
    Uhuh. From false premises...
    The first is his NY dialect mannerisms. But they aren't a sign of cognitive weakness, they are colloquial in nature and further enhance his image as every day, no BS kind of guy.
    You mean the swearing or the jerky body movements or the sniffing?

BTW - NYC born and raised here and active in business for many years. Trump's a dreadful speaker, period. As a self-professed titan of real estate industry, the head of a multi-billion dollar business enterprise, you'd expect even a modicum of speaking ability. Not Trump though
    The second is an occasional gaffe. It's hard to say, in these instances, if he is under pressure or if he is trolling the media. He clearly likes to do the latter, but he may also use this to disguise his gaffes.
    Occasional? I've already posted one of many links. The other day Trump talked about President Biden. Slow week - there's a 'gaffe' a day or so.
    Importantly though, his gaffes are occasional and not part of a persistent pattern. Which means he is still sharp and capable. His ability to speak coherently as well as off the cuff in front of thousands and a national TV audience clearly supports this.
    From false premises... He gaffes all. the. time.

Bearing in mind he is presenting himself for re-election while still managing his duties as president - so he has double the pressure that Biden has, and he still wipes the floor with him.

Really? They've debated? They've both spoken at the same event
    So clearly Trump is in far batter cognitive shape than Biden.
    Does the UK have a nuclear capability? Cognitive capability really comes down to, does his brain work. Does Trump's? How did he NOT know about the UK nuclear missile capability (and what was the bit with the nukes and the hurricane?)

Biden stammers on occasion is all.
    There's no comparison, really.

Indeed. It'll all be clarified in the debates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

God help America if this is the best they can do.

Igotadose wrote: »

Indeed. It'll all be clarified in the debates.

I watched that Tusla speech in its entirety. I did not see a man with any mental difficulties. If he had any, he couldn't have lasted 1.5 hours without at least some gaffe.

Biden on the other hand....he looks like he's been pushed out of his retirement home, on day release. Bewildered, confused....and a bit frightened.

Trump will destroy him in the debates.

What I don't get though, is why Biden? Are there too many hard leftists in the Democrats? Cant see their strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

They just need someone to endlessly quote lines from de movies, ideally for a wager.
    Throw in a bit of GOT (all the kneeling stuff), some GokWan (sock patterns & high fashion).

But leave out the LoveIsland stuff (you don't want interns performing those under-desk auditions again).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,588 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I watched that Tusla speech in its entirety. I did not see a man with any mental difficulties. If he had any, he couldn't have lasted 1.5 hours without at least some gaffe.

Biden on the other hand....he looks like he's been pushed out of his retirement home, on day release. Bewildered, confused....and a bit frightened.

Trump will destroy him in the debates.

What I don't get though, is why Biden? Are there too many hard leftists in the Democrats? Cant see their strategy.

Did you not listen to his 12 minute long ramble about walking down a ramp? Was he lying all the way through it or does he really believe he had that long conversation?

Did you not listen to his 12 minute long ramble about walking down a ramp? Was he lying all the way through it or does he really believe he had that long conversation?

I believe I've already addressed that - and the glass of water - he was ribbing the media for framing various stories of him in a bad light. Which they constantly do.

Nothing to do with mental defects. At worst, there was an element of ' dad joke ' in his delivery.

• Advertisement

I believe I've already addressed that - and the glass of water - he was ribbing the media for framing various stories of him in a bad light. Which they constantly do.

Nothing to do with mental defects. At worst, there was an element of ' dad joke ' in his delivery.

No, thisnis your interpretation of what you think happened, in reality, anyone watching him could see he was trying to convince his audience that this is what happened.

He is a known compulsive liar, and that my friend is definitely a mental defect.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

he isn't noted as a humourist. In fact
    I don’t kid. Let me just tell you. Let me make it clear

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Igotadose wrote: »
    Biden stammers on occasion is all.

Ah here...

This is every bit as delusional as any of the blindly stupid Trump defence. Writing off Biden's endless blunders as just his childhood stammer is a cop out. It's an attempt to make those calling him senile look like assholes who are mocking a guy with a stammer and thereby deflect the obvious.

Watch all the clips of Biden ballsing up. It's not just a stammer. It's not just an occasional slip of the tongue. It's a guy getting confused, losing his train of thought and generally being overwhelmed.

This is just the usual partisan bullcrap. All of those people defending Biden against accusations of dementia, criticising the "medical experts" on boards etc would be making the EXACT SAME accusations of cognitive decline against Trump if the roles were reversed.

Is he a liar, or does he troll the media with deliberate lies, which are a response to their dishonest reporting about him, which is to maintain their revenue, because, without Trump, they would have nothing to write about...no bogeyman, no golden egg?

Unlike other historic press bogeymen/ golden eggs, it must be said. Remember Princess Diana of Wales and Michael Jackson. Like Trump, they both relied on the media to build their global celebrity, and the media needed them. In the end, they were driven half crazy by their fame and it ultimately cost them their lives.

But Trump has thrived because of and despite the press and continues to beat them at their own game.

If you look closely, there is a skill and competence there that is unique and unprecedented.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Ah here...

This is every bit as delusional as any of the blindly stupid Trump defence. Writing off Biden's endless blunders as just his childhood stammer is a cop out. It's an attempt to make those calling him senile look like assholes who are mocking a guy with a stammer and thereby deflect the obvious.

Watch all the clips of Biden ballsing up. It's not just a stammer. It's not just an occasional slip of the tongue. It's a guy getting confused, losing his train of thought and generally being overwhelmed.

This is just the usual partisan bullcrap. All of those people defending Biden against accusations of dementia, criticising the "medical experts" on boards etc would be making the EXACT SAME accusations of cognitive decline against Trump if the roles were reversed.

Bit they are reversed! The first bolded part above describes Trump to a tee yet we have the zealots on here either ignoring it or claiming he is "trolling the press".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

he isn't noted as a humourist. In fact
    Did he not try for ages to get a (EJ signed) CD featuring the track 'Rocketman' handed over to bigKm?

That's either classic comedy gold, with a layer of top bantz drizzled over it...

... or a stroke of slow strategic perpetual attack chess board action, perhaps to set off an early cheese-heart attack, or provoke a Kim mistake, that leads to MOAB rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Bit they are reversed! The first bolded part above describes Trump to a tee yet we have the zealots on here either ignoring it or claiming he is "trolling the press".

Who are the real zealots?

Is it those talking about Bidens faults, whilst also acknowledging trumps faults?

Or is it those who talk about trumps faults, whilst never acknowledging Bidens faults?

Who are the real zealots?

Is it those talking about Bidens faults, whilst also acknowledging trumps faults?

Or is it those who talk about trumps faults, whilst never acknowledging Bidens faults?

The problem with that is they talk about Bidens faults whilst consistently defending every brain fat that comes out of Trumps mouth.

Biden makes a mistake = Dementia

Trump makes a mistake = joking/trolling

The problem with that is they talk about Bidens faults whilst consistently defending every brain fat that comes out of Trumps mouth.

Biden makes a mistake = Dementia

Trump makes a mistake = joking/trolling

That's because the actual evidence is for Trump and against Biden, in terms of their cognitive ability.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Ah here...

As already pointed out, Biden's gaffs have been occurring for decades. You must be equally concerned about trump referring to the role of the air force during the civil war? Personally, I'm inclined to say that Trump being a dumbass but guessing you should conclude that's a decline in his mental faculties.

The reality is Biden making a speech with occasional gaffes is lightyears ahead of the quality of any speech has ever made.

• Advertisement

That's because the actual evidence is for Trump and against Biden, in terms of their cognitive ability.

Nope you just choose to ignore Trumps failing mental health, the man cannot stand straight, he turns using his whole upper body due to a balance issue, he jerks especially when he makes a mistake, his constant sniffing (adderall abuse?) He mispronounces words all the time, and then there is his constant lying that again his supporters just dismiss as if it hasn't happened. He actually contradicts himself within a sentence or two and you guys ignore it.

You don't know what the word 'evidence' means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ah we'll wait for the tv debates.

You don't know what the word 'evidence' means.

The Tusla speech is evidence of cognitive ability.

I keep repeating it, maybe there are some cognitive issues here on the thread?

In my biased mind the Tusla speech is evidence of cognitive ability.

Fixed your post for truth.

Fixed your post for truth.

Wonderful.

Why not burn some books and tear down some statues, while you're at it.

To correct a few more truths.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's funny, and probably a sign of the altered reality that some live in, that some people can even think that Trump is more capable than Biden at speaking, talking and walking.

They're both old men, both prone to gaffes, but Trump is in a league of his own on the senile-meter, the bar for Trump is basically don't let your pants fall down, and I'm sure he'll push it during the campaign (previous bar was don't have toilet paper on shoe).

Wonderful.

Why not burn some books and tear down some statues, while you're at it.

To correct a few more truths.

You're in the minority that would claim his Tulsa speech was coherent, the very fact that you have to justify its content by saying a large proportion of it was trolling the media is in itself a sign of how bizarre the speech was. The best description of the speech is when Fr Ted won the priest of the year contest and ranted about all his enemies..... The fact that such a contrast can be used for the president of America is a bleak sign of how Trump has unraveled the role.

The Tusla speech is evidence of cognitive ability.

He spent 12% of it talking about drinking a glass of water.

It's evidence of cognitive ability all right. Though not the way you think it is.

• Advertisement

Rampant TDS on this thread

I've made a rational assessment of Trump's abilities which stand up fairly well to scrutiny.

Some of you come off like hormonal teenagers. Which supports my suspicion that leftiness is more like a mental disorder than anything else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement