Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuff-inish adventure race

Options
  • 09-08-2019 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

dont suppose anyone has ever done it, havent done anything of this length before but it looks tempting without being completely crackers,
    the 5k kayak being the only thing putting me off . but even that looks like it was shortened last year,
    from a quick look it looks like you provide a transition box with what you need and thats brought around for you, or maybe you get someone to to bring them for you,

tempting as an introduction to the longer stuff though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

woody1 wrote: »
    dont suppose anyone has ever done it, havent done anything of this length before but it looks tempting without being completely crackers,
    the 5k kayak being the only thing putting me off . but even that looks like it was shortened last year,
    from a quick look it looks like you provide a transition box with what you need and thats brought around for you, or maybe you get someone to to bring them for you,

tempting as an introduction to the longer stuff though

Never heard of it until now. Looks a good race is this it’s first year at this distance ? Only ever done 1km kayak at Gaelforce but found it fine.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Just to let you know the step up from 1k token paddle to 5k is massive and no way easy...
    I presume you will be solo in this Ultra as well so just give it some consideration.
    Im not saying you wont do it but Im doing Quest 12 at the end of the month never thought about the kayak until last week and did 5k on open lake and it has me a bit concerned the effort it requires (as i just thought it would be the least of effort required out of the 3 disciplines).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

yeah , the kayak is actually whats keeping me from entering it , i was supposed to do a kayaking course earlier this month but it got called off from lack of interest , itl come round again but probably not in time for this, im sure i could get out a couple of times between now and then but just enough to get a bit more comfortable, it wouldnt be any good as actual training, the rest of it "looks" manageable enough, from looking at the kayak times from last year it must have been shortened to a bit of a paddle,

might be better left til next year , and have a bit of kayaking done ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

woody1 wrote: »
    yeah , the kayak is actually whats keeping me from entering it , i was supposed to do a kayaking course earlier this month but it got called off from lack of interest , itl come round again but probably not in time for this, im sure i could get out a couple of times between now and then but just enough to get a bit more comfortable, it wouldnt be any good as actual training, the rest of it "looks" manageable enough, from looking at the kayak times from last year it must have been shortened to a bit of a paddle,

might be better left til next year , and have a bit of kayaking done ..

Where are you based and what kayak level are you?
    Im not trying to put you off but I've kayaks and need a partner for company so could meet up to give you a go before you decide what to do...(Blesso lake is handy for me) im 3 weeks out so have a few 5ks to get under my belt...
    I had a quick look and the wind I can see will be the factor on the kayak course in Donegal..

im in north west mayo, kayak level is ive done all the usual kayak sections of adventure races a few times,and ive done a handful of just one hour kayak outings

but nothing either long or on rough water ..
    yeah i can see wind being a big deal, i presume thats what happened last year ,
    but i cant enter it on the presumption that itl be shortened

ive just done a half ironman so i have the bike and run training in the bank ,and i have a bit of whats next-itis ,

i usualy do a good bit of off road running stuff and bits of the shorter adventure races , so the rest of the course will be ok, think better to leave it til next year, get some kayaking done and attack it properly

• Advertisement

if i could find a kayaker thats happy to split the race, id do it as a team to get a good look at it ,

Advertisement