If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for 40-43" TV

Options
  • 09-08-2019 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm wondering about a recommendation for a new TV on behalf of somebody. I haven't kept up with TV technology and I'm finding it a bit tough to sort through what are genuine advantages as selling points and what are gimmick features pushed by each brand.

The room it's for means the screen size realistically couldn't go beyond 43" so I understand that features such as OLED are ruled out. The person enjoys their TV however and doesn't change their TV often so would spend money on a decent set if it was worth it instead of a low/mid range entry. Ideally it would be 4K and they mainly watch live sport so anything that risks motion blur needs to be avoided. I see some Sony TV's that advertise "motionflow" technology and high refresh rates which would help this but is this just a proprietary name for a feature that most TV's have regardless of brand? Regarding colour/black depth etc. I'm totally lost when it comes to weighing TV's up against each other, the most clear/crisp image is all that's wanted.

If the limitation of the TV size seriously hampers their options for value vs. quality in this range I can go back to them.

If there are any good pairings of soundbars to put with any recommendations you might have they'd be appreciated also because having never bought one myself I've no idea what to look out for.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm wondering about a recommendation for a new TV on behalf of somebody. I haven't kept up with TV technology and I'm finding it a bit tough to sort through what are genuine advantages as selling points and what are gimmick features pushed by each brand.

The room it's for means the screen size realistically couldn't go beyond 43" so I understand that features such as OLED are ruled out. The person enjoys their TV however and doesn't change their TV often so would spend money on a decent set if it was worth it instead of a low/mid range entry. Ideally it would be 4K and they mainly watch live sport so anything that risks motion blur needs to be avoided. I see some Sony TV's that advertise "motionflow" technology and high refresh rates which would help this but is this just a proprietary name for a feature that most TV's have regardless of brand? Regarding colour/black depth etc. I'm totally lost when it comes to weighing TV's up against each other, the most clear/crisp image is all that's wanted.

If the limitation of the TV size seriously hampers their options for value vs. quality in this range I can go back to them.

If there are any good pairings of soundbars to put with any recommendations you might have they'd be appreciated also because having never bought one myself I've no idea what to look out for.

Thanks for your help
    Hi Adamcp898,

Thanks for the post.

The absolute best panel technology at the moment is definitely OLED, but as you say you can;t get them in anything less than a 55". The next best thing would be a QLED panel. It still has a backlight but has better dimming, more natural brightness and a wider colour spectrum than standard LED TVs. Samsung have just released a 43" QLED TV:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203991-samsung-qe43q60r-43-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-qled-tv-tvplus.aspx

This retails at £719 but has a very good panel for colour, contrast and brightness. It is still a 50Hz panel though so if you're looking for a panel with better motion processing I would recommend the Sony KD43XG8305 with a native 100 Hz panel. This is supplemented with MotionFlow XR800 so they are fantastic for sports. The Sony retails at £799:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204032-sony-kd43xg8305bu-43-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-android-tv-youview.aspx

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Hi Adamcp898,

Thanks for the post.

The absolute best panel technology at the moment is definitely OLED, but as you say you can;t get them in anything less than a 55". The next best thing would be a QLED panel. It still has a backlight but has better dimming, more natural brightness and a wider colour spectrum than standard LED TVs. Samsung have just released a 43" QLED TV:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203991-samsung-qe43q60r-43-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-qled-tv-tvplus.aspx

This retails at £719 but has a very good panel for colour, contrast and brightness. It is still a 50Hz panel though so if you're looking for a panel with better motion processing I would recommend the Sony KD43XG8305 with a native 100 Hz panel. This is supplemented with MotionFlow XR800 so they are fantastic for sports. The Sony retails at £799:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204032-sony-kd43xg8305bu-43-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-android-tv-youview.aspx

Kind regards

David

Thanks very much for your help David. I’ll have a look at these over the weekend.

Would you say the QLED panel of the Samsung makes it a better TV than the Sony with its motion performance?

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Hi Adamcp898,

Thanks for the post.

Kind regards

David

Thanks very much for your help David. I’ll have a look at these over the weekend.

Would you say the QLED panel of the Samsung makes it a better TV than the Sony with its motion performance?
    Hi Adamcp898,

The QLED will definitely give a better picture in terms of contrast and brightness. It still has good motion processing on it but it wouldn't be as smooth as the Sony. It depends what you're mostly watching on it, if you are watching a lot of sports I would probably go with the Sony for panel speed but for general viewing and movies the QLED would give a better picture.

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.