Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of owning a house

Options
  • 09-08-2019 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

hi, im thinking of buying (currently renting) but from a pure economics view, trying to work out what costs i have that i wouldnt have if i was renting. As in not worried of the psychological benefits of owning over renting (security, noy worrying about being turfed out by landlord). is there any additional i am missing

1. mortgage repayments
    2. property tax
    3. management company fee (if applicable)
    4. structural repairs (roof, windows,)
    5. buildings insurance
    6. redecoration after a few years - new carpets, new kitchen,
    7. applicances (replace dishwasher/washing machine when they break)
    8. furniture
    8. Gardeners

Am i missing anything else? i am not including utilities, or tv licence as ill have to pay them anyway as a tenant.

Having read this list I'm thinking of staying renting. Whoever said renting was dead money is a clown.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You need to get life assurance as part of being granted a mortgage.

Also worth bearing in mind tho that the older you get, the less you may be able to borrow, so there's an opportunity cost in that while renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,781 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Paying for bins.

It's worth it to buy IMO dread to think what my rent would be in Dublin if I hadn't now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

sdraobs wrote: »
    Whoever said renting was dead money is a clown.

:rolleyes:
    Will you have the same opinion in your twilight years trying to afford rent for a bedsit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Will you have the same opinion in your twilight years trying to afford rent for a bedsit?

Yeah imagine trying to pay rent on a state pension

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

yeah its about saving for twilight years, so economics comes into it. if i put money into a pension rather than mortgage capital repayments i might end up better off. so i need to work out cost of renting v home ownership.

question will be will i have the same opinion trying to afford the heating bill in my twilight years as opposed to basking with a big pension

• Advertisement

yeah its about saving for twilight years, so economics comes into it. if i put money into a pension rather than mortgage capital repayments i might end up better off. so i need to work out cost of renting v home ownership.

question will be will i have the same opinion trying to afford the heating bill in my twilight years as opposed to basking with a big pension

You might, but it's a risk. And it's not an either / or scenario. You could contribute (albeit, less) to your pension while paying a mortgage. That splits the risk.

If your mortgage happens to be less then your rent (which would be the case for a lot of people) you could put the surplus into your pension and have the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Don't you get rent allowance on a state pension?? I'm sure you do.
    Pension @ c. 210 euro, rent allowance of rent minus c.25 euro. Leaving 185 euro. Free electric/heating/phone/tv/travel/med.s etc. etc. Steak at 10euros/kg..you can live the life of Rielly. Also can have what 50k in the bank?

You could potentially be paying the same renting as for a mortgage so not sure what your saying here makes sense.
    I've a mortgage but I'm also saving and paying for a pension.

OSI wrote: »
    What do you plan on doing when you retire?

not sure but if ive saved money by renting and dont have the common problem of an illiquid asset, im free to venture and rent where i want.

not sure but if ive saved money by renting and dont have the common problem of an illiquid asset, im free to venture and rent where i want.

First time I've heard of owning a house as a "common problem".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

op just remember that the tide is turning and i believe within ten years it will have completely turned.
    the plan is for all small landlords to be gone, the only landlords left will be companies, charities and councils.
    i have told my clients, most own 1 rental but some more, they should sell now rather then deal with what is coming.

So maybe rent will not be dead money after all due to the rights of the tenant.
    For example i can see rental properties only being sold with tenant in situ.
    When you think RTB and HAP/Council are going to have more power. Time for landlords to sell or increase their stock.

aloooof wrote: »
    First time I've heard of owning a house as a "common problem".

ever see ads on the uk tv stations for retirement loans. many retirees have no income but a large house. capital rich but income poor. takes time to sell a house and get some liquidity.

If you own a property you can sell it and buy another. Cash sale.
    You're not tied to a particular area when you retire.

op just remember that the tide is turning and i believe within ten years it will have completely turned.
    the plan is for all small landlords to be gone, the only landlords left will be companies, charities and councils.
    i have told my clients, most own 1 rental but some more, they should sell now rather then deal with what is coming.

So maybe rent will not be dead money after all due to the rights of the tenant.
    For example i can see rental properties only being sold with tenant in situ.
    When you think RTB and HAP/Council are going to have more power. Time for landlords to sell or increase their stock.

Thanks for the insight Greta Full Specimen. good to know someone thinks my idea isnt bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

You mention repairs and redecoration but there is also general upkeep.
    Think painting, chimney, boiler servicing, gutters (can maybe do yourself), etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The cost you have missed is renewal/renovation. Any house needs renewal (as oppposed to repairs) every few decades. You can do this bit by bit (windows one year, roof another and so on) or in one ‘big bang’ after a few decades. But no matter what, this regular reinvestment is required.

ArrBee wrote: »
    You mention repairs and redecoration but there is also general upkeep.
    Think painting, chimney, boiler servicing, gutters (can maybe do yourself), etc.

thanks, especially on mentioning the boiler. hadnt thought of that. wonder how much that will be to replace.

ever see ads on the uk tv stations for retirement loans. many retirees have no income but a large house. capital rich but income poor. takes time to sell a house and get some liquidity.

I actually haven't seen ads like this. But it any case, the main thing is to understand the risks involved with whatever approach you take, and to do your sums.

(As an aside, you mentioned saving money by renting. For a lot of people, a mortgage would actually work out cheaper than their current rent).

The cost you have missed is renewal/renovation. Any house needs renewal (as oppposed to repairs) every few decades. You can do this bit by bit (windows one year, roof another and so on) or in one ‘big bang’ after a few decades. But no matter what, this regular reinvestment is required.

i know the cost is like asking how long a piece of string is.

But say a typical say 20 year old 4bed semi D house with nothing unusual about it. are we talking 5k euro a year in renovation, repairs, property tax and everyhing i have listed in op.

so if a mortgage is 800 plus say 500 on renovations/repairs. Then this 1300 alother is alot more than rent of say 1000euro for example. im just trying to do the figures before i commit to buy.

i know the cost is like asking how long a piece of string is.

But say a typical say 20 year old 4bed semi D house with nothing unusual about it. are we talking 5k euro a year in renovation, repairs, property tax and everyhing i have listed in op.

so if a mortgage is 800 plus say 500 on renovations/repairs. Then this 1300 alother is alot more than rent of say 1000euro for example. im just trying to do the figures before i commit to buy.

Depends on where you buy but 800 p/m mortgage for a 4 bed semi-D sounds optimistic.

In any case, in this scenario, you're effectively paying 300 extra per month over your rent towards the capital. Assuming a 30 year mortgage, that's 108k extra versus renting, but you'll have an asset worth, what, 250k+ after it?

If you think the 108k you've saved can make you more than the price of the house after the 30 years (and you're comfortable with the risk), then there's your answer.

EDIT: I've done a very basic compounding exercise per year of the money you'd save while renting. Assuming a 4% return, that would accumulate to ~202k after the 30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

aloooof wrote: »
    Depends on where you buy but 800 p/m mortgage for a 4 bed semi-D sounds optimistic.

In any case, in this scenario, you're effectively paying 300 extra per month over your rent towards the capital. Assuming a 30 year mortgage, that's 108k extra versus renting, but you'll have an asset worth, what, 250k+ after it?

If you think the 108k you've saved can make you more then the price of the house after the 30 years (and you're comfortable with the risk), then there's your answer.

while i agree with you - the question is what will he do with this asset?
    Good chance the fair deal in 30 plus years from now could take all of it.

also OP remember that an unemployed tenant can get hap, an unemployed house owner gets f all but grief. from 2008 to 2010 my local town had 10 suicides that i know of because of pressure being put on the family home by banks. That is important because the issues with national and private debt have not gone away and i think are getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The op forgot contents insurance, some of the new A-rated houses must be getting close to a maintenance-free house as is possible?.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mariaalice wrote: »
    The op forgot contents insurance, some of the new A-rated houses must be getting close to a maintenance-free house as is possible?.

Maintenance free? Not a hope.

MHRV plant, controllers that have a design life (and supported life/security update guarantee) of under a decade are two things I can think of straight away

Sure you're going to have modern windows and doors that don't need much work done for 20 years and may not even need washing and more modern paints on the outside but you are introducing potential failure points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It depends on what you define as alot(sic). What rent are you paying at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

1. mortgage repayments
    2. property tax
    3. management company fee (if applicable)
    4. structural repairs (roof, windows,)
    5. buildings insurance
    6. redecoration after a few years - new carpets, new kitchen,
    7. applicances (replace dishwasher/washing machine when they break)
    8. furniture
    9. Gardeners

Am i missing anything else? i am not including utilities, or tv licence as ill have to pay them anyway as a tenant. .

Think you've most of them. Here's a few more

-Life assurance
    -BER and insulation upgrades
    -Alarm
    -Gates/fences
    -Curtains/blinds
    -Shed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

How often do most people have to replace their shed, blinds and house alarm?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

It depends on what you define as alot(sic). What rent are you paying at the moment?

Depends what type house your renting now Vs what house you would buy. The houses I rented were always sufficient for my needs at the time, while the house I bought has some future thought to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Why don't we throw in the following while we are at it;

Swimming pool
    Gate lodge
    Wine cellar maintenance
    HEPA filtration system
    Underground parking

Some of the suggestions on here are equally ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

How often do most people have to replace their shed, blinds and house alarm?

Shed/ blinds -depends. Every 10 years perhaps? Still a cost of owning a home.

Alarm - annual maintenance change for monitored or unmonitired for most

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Shed/ blinds -depends. Every 10 years perhaps? Still a cost of owning a home.

Alarm - annual maintenance change for monitored or unmonitired for most

Nonsense.

Advertisement