Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flights to Faro from Shannon (or Knock)

• 09-08-2019 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

Just looking at booking a holiday for next summer to Albufeira so need to fly into FARO.

I'd rather fly from Shannon or Knock but can only get flights from Dublin at the moment.

It's end of May / early June 2020 so before the peak summer season.

Maybe there are no flights from Shannon or Knock at that time of year?

I cannot find a summer 2020 timetable from Shannon / Knock to FARO - I am just too early in booking ? ?

thanks for any help ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,567 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

mel2012 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just looking at booking a holiday for next summer to Albufeira so need to fly into FARO.

I'd rather fly from Shannon or Knock but can only get flights from Dublin at the moment.

It's end of May / early June 2020 so before the peak summer season.

Maybe there are no flights from Shannon or Knock at that time of year?

I cannot find a summer 2020 timetable from Shannon / Knock to FARO - I am just too early in booking ? ?

thanks for any help ...

Not out yet, would be Sept/Oct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭peter4918

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That's not what that article says at all. It says that they're closing their base in Faro, there's no mention of routes being cancelled in the article.

Zaph wrote: »
    That's not what that article says at all. It says that they're closing their base in Faro, there's no mention of routes being cancelled in the article.

Well the article is poorly written then as it implies otherwise.

So basically the planes and crew won't be based there but will still be flown to?

Apologies if I have confused you OP.

The article does state that 600 pilots are to be laid off so some routes will go. It is never a good sign when a base is removed.

Does Ryanair have any planes based at Knock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭HBC08

Currently Ryanair fly from March to Late October out of Knock. I go every May and October and it's a great service. Really hope.it continues, the flights are nearly always full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Aer Lingus and Ryanair fly from Shannon to Faro - as mentioned above, generally not bookable until September/October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Does Ryanair have any planes based at Knock?

There are no airlines based at Knock. Planes fly in and same planes depart an hour or so later. Terminal can only accommodate three 737 sized planes at one time but usually one maybe two flights on the tarmac at one time in Knock

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mel2012

Thanks.

So, flights to FARO from Shannon / Knock will be available generally from Sep/Oct.

Is there any way of being notified when the flights are available ?

rossie1977 wrote: »
    There are no airlines based at Knock. Planes fly in and same planes depart an hour or so later. Terminal can only accommodate three 737 sized planes at one time but usually one maybe two flights on the tarmac at one time in Knock

If that is the case will the Knock Faro route be gone as there will be no base for planes at either place?

I presume Ryanair have a base at Shannon so maybe Shannon will be the winner here and take up the Knock flights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

mel2012 wrote: »
    Thanks.

So, flights to FARO from Shannon / Knock will be available generally from Sep/Oct.

Is there any way of being notified when the flights are available ?

Take your time. There will be plenty flights from Shannon to Faro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

At least another month or two until they're loaded with Ryanair.

The Knock route may not be able to continue, unless aircraft can be found somewhere else to do a W rotation. Knock is not a base, and faro will not be a base, hence it's hard to fly aircraft between two airports where you don't station any. Hopefully it remains, as it's a proven route.

The Shannon-Faro flights should remain in situ, as Ryanair have a base in Shannon, but if they do not Aer Lingus also fly the route.

Advertisement