Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PJ's Odobenus rosmarus reveal

Options
  • 09-08-2019 3:43pm

I'll get going around "sometime tonight" so make sure you set your alarm. I'll say 7pm

Going to start with category 2 because I already began it today out of curiosity:
    2: Song that is hugely improved by the video
    e.g. Childish Gambino - This Is America, Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk, Jon Hopkins - "Open Eye Signal" . In another life, I think I would have been a film maker. That Childish Gambino song isn't very good at all but the video and multiple listens has drilled it into me. Please no 15 minute epics. I did like that ramstein one in the previous game but it was a bit long.

Comments

How I feel right now

Nah its genuinely very tough. I love all the videos. So hard to give anyone last place.

Not quite ready yet. This is a full time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Its not to be taken lightly. You only started watching them today. We'll understand if you feel it needs another night of listens :)

Rikand wrote: »
    Its not to be taken lightly. You only started watching them today. We'll understand if you feel it needs another night of listens :)

Truth be told, I started last night :P Right I'm ready to kick off

Justin Timberlake - CAN'T STOP THE FEELING!

Apologies in advance to the owner of this song. You got unlucky.

I groaned the second this started. I hate this song. Something about this and Pharrell's "Happy" drives me nuts. As if I hate someone telling me to be happy. I'll be whatever I want to be thank you very much. How can I get the maximum out of my grumpy mood if justin timberlake keeps tell me to be happy?! I'm such a grump sometimes :pac: I tried to keep an open mind but it was tough. I actually quite like Justin though so his humour is saving the video so far. The crazy look in his eyes during the super market scenes in particular. I think he could be a great comedic actor. Have a look at some of The Lonely Island videos for example. He looks like a lot of fun. But god do I hate this song lol. The video doesn't tell a story. No interesting camera techniques. The video just kinda goes on and on. Does it need the credits at the end. The song was "catchy", annoying and everywhere. Leave me to enjoy my bad mood in peace.

18th place so 1 point. You guessed it, it was
    gasgdagd Necro dsgajglke

• Advertisement

91sn32Q.jpg

Nirvana - In Bloom

First time I saw this, I was like, what the hell is this. I got into them after Cobain's death. It was the first song of theirs that really blew me away. It was the first nirvana video I ever saw. I remember downloading it through KaZaA (slightly predates youtube). I was utterly confused. I thought nirvana were some no nonsense rock band. They're actually very much a bunch of oddballs. It is funny them acting like some 50's clean cut band and cutting to them in dresses. But that's all that's to it. Bit of a one trick pony. Now that I think about, I've never been blown away by any of nirvana's videos even though I am a huge fan and I sometimes revisit them. Sell the kids for food.

17th place and 2 points for
    dfsdsd GreeBo dsds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Well, I really like both choices so far so I expect I'll see mine along soon :pac:

Jesus, this is already fierce tense. I'm just relieved that I've already passed my minimum goal of not coming last in every category! :p

Public Service Broadcasting - Go!

I actually felt this video took away from my experience of PSB. I'm familiar with their music and was briefly obsessed with space related ones. Espeically the one about going around the moon "The Other Side". If I was new to them, I think I might have prefered this more. I think their songs create amazing imagery. Seeing them playing along to the imagery takes away from the majesty of it. The graphics are pretty good overall. The blinking circles and triangles do work. Its not a bad song, its not a bad video. Its not their best song, but in the context of what their songs can do, this video is a negative.

16th place and 3 points to
    Green&Red

• Advertisement

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Well, I really like both choices so far so I expect I'll see mine along soon :pac:

I think JT is the only one I genuinely didn't like. Really tough category

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

:( Think I read the category wrong!

What category is this, i also have no clues what songs i sent which is kinda nice if im being honest

(Take on Me - Aha)

Love the song. I've never loved the video. Very cheesey. Very 80's. I prefer the Family Guy version.

15th and 4 points to
    Barney92

Art of Trance - Swarm

Very trancey. I can dig some trance sometimes. The video reminds me of Koyaanisqatsi. I like it. Animals in swarms in slo-mo. Whats not to like. Not as much depth as some the other entries perhaps. The shifts in the music suit the visuals quite well.

14th and 5 points goes to
    Rikand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I remember thinking the A-ha video was like the best thing ever back in the day - it just doesn't work now - that and Thriller - simpler times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Oh I don't know PSB. Will be spotifying them soon.

Also Barney...choon. I had such a crush on Morten Harket when I was younger. :)

Foo Fighters - Learn To Fly

I've seen Foo Fighters live so many times yet I'm not really a big fan of theirs. They have a few good tunes but I've never felt the need to put them on. I think Dave Grohl is a bit of cheeseball and this video is that to a T. It's not a bad video. Mildly humour. Its not a bad song either. Just kinda mediocre.

13th and 6 points goes to
    baggly

Rudimental - Waiting All Night

Not a huge fan of the song itself. I like the chorus but the rest is kinda noisy, plus it has some annoying girl singing over it. Drum and base isn't a favourite genre of mine. Its a decent enough video. Tells a great story. I had to look up some background. I thought the footage was real at first but turns out it isn't. The biker himself is the real guy who went through the story being told but the footage is recreated. I don't like the grainy shakey cameras they go for. It tries to make you think its entirely genuine and real, and that's what they are going for, but I felt misled in believing it was 100% real. It's an inspirational story but I found myself too distracted with how the video was put together.

12th and 7 points to
    Choc Chip

Food just arrived so gonna slow down a bit. Give you time to watch the videos :)

• Advertisement

Oh I had that Rudimental track on my shortlist for another category - glad I didn't use it now! :p It's my first time seeing the video for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Oh I don't know PSB. Will be spotifying them soon.

Also Barney...choon. I had such a crush on Morten Harket when I was younger. :)

That whole album is amazing, in particular “the other side”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

What category is this, i also have no clues what songs i sent which is kinda nice if im being honest

Song that is improved by the video

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Some fun videos there. Surprised A-Ha not higher :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Green&Red wrote: »
    That whole album is amazing, in particular “the other side”

Have you seen the Gagarin video?

George Michael - Shoot the Dog

I do like this video. I like George Michael in general. I like that he can take the piss out of himself (I absolutely love this bit in extras https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=527494994041525). Its a funny video from a different era. That big grin on Tony Blair. I remember thinking George Bush was a bit a dim US president, as we were all led to believe. The US didn't realise how lucky they had it. I miss that goofy, cowboy fella looking at who's in office now. There's so many other good videos so this one didn't place as high.

11th and 8 points to
    Deleted User

That Rudimental track is great

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Public Service Broadcasting - Go!

I actually felt this video took away from my experience of PSB. I'm familiar with their music and was briefly obsessed with space related ones. Espeically the one about going around the moon "The Other Side". If I was new to them, I think I might have prefered this more. I think they're songs create amazing imagery. Seeing them playing along to the imagery takes away from the majesty of it. The graphics are pretty good overall. The blinking circles and triangles do work. Its not a bad song, its not a bad video. Its not their best song, but in the context of what their songs can do, this video is a negative.

16th place and 3 points to
    Green&Red

Interesting fact, the 2102 alarm in the song almost stopped the moon landing, it was basically from their GPS and one of the signals was returning a null repeatedly instead of just reading null once. Aldrin reckoned that because the alarms we so far apart (about 90secs) that it wasn’t something immediately dangerous. If he’d been more cautious Neil Armstrong wouldn’t have been the first man on the moon

Peter Gabriel, Sledgehammer

I was fascinated by this one growing up. The twitchy stop motion actually freaked me out a bit. I rediscovered it a few years back when I watched a short documentary on Gabriel, and I absolutely love this song. A great pop video all in all. It would have ranked higher if it didn't stir an unsettling childhood feeling.

10th and 9 points to
    Electric Nitwit

• Advertisement

I nearly went with Sledgehammer too - Great track

Advertisement