Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PJ's Odobenus rosmarus reveal

Comments

Walk Away - Axero; Really like the voice over intro. Never fully warmed to this song. The sax isn't working for me. Seems to be a theme with the sax.

14th a 5 points for
    tusk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Is this the 80s category?

Hope not

*Facepalm if so*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭tusk

Love that song. Sax is my power instrument. Hits me in the goolies everytime.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Is this the 80s category?
    osh wrote: »
    I thought it was gonna be the running category :D

Ha this is the gym/running category. It just happened to start on an 80's song.

One thing about this category, it really could have been any song at all. I listen to all sorts when I'm out for a run. I dislike the music gyms tend to play hence I have massive headphones to drown at the noise. Strangely the only time I ever listen to heavy metal is in a race.

Oh! Well then...

*Removes facepalm for now*

also, that piano bit... PJ you're killin me

Hey all. Somehow most of my selections ended up being from the 80s

Scarface - Paul Engemann; Reminds me of a South Park song for some reason. Nice cheesey 80's tune. I can hear the hairstyle.

I don't have to go searching for the name because I remember that was, in 13th with 6 points,
    Necro

War - Hypnotic Brass Ensemble; They're fantastic live. I feel this song could have used a bit more producing. It sounds a bit flat throughout. They've better songs. Still good though.

12th and 7 points goes to
    osh

Completely irrelevant but I just noticed right now that the most bizarre irish rapper in existence dropped this fire on youtube

• Advertisement

Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics; A classic. Yet I found myself waiting for it to end. Heard it too much. The synth and melody are nice.

11th and 8 points for
    Strawberry milkshake

Dog Days Are Over - Florence + The Machine; Nice upbeat song. Saw her live at EP years ago. She's always been decent enough.

10th and 9 points for
    Barney92

Dog Days Are Over - Florence + The Machine; Nice upbeat song. Saw her live at EP years ago. She's always been decent enough.

10th and 9 points for
    Barney92

that's a great workout choon. good shout barno

Pounding - Doves; Happy little indie song. Verses constantly building with a satisfying chorus. Was initially up very high but other songs took over

9th and 10 points for
    Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I have zero idea of what I submitted anymore. This will be interesting. :D

Hot chip - Over and Over; used to love this song. It introduced me to the band. I happened to see them last week at a festival. I wasn't expecting much as I'd fallen out of favour with them but they blew me away. They hit a perfect combination of soft dancy music; the leads clean voice but can also turn on a harsher overdriven sound which I love. It completely reinvigorated this song and its been back on rotation. Lucky you!

8th and 11 points for
    Ectoplasm

Go With The Flow - Queens of the Stoneage; Easily my favourite song theirs. Every element of this song works. Dave Grohl at his best on the drums. Might have scored higher if I hadn't listened to it to death in the past.

7th and 12 points for
    Homer J. Fong

Titanium - Davd Guetta;

I don't usually like David Geutta. The intro is nice. That plucky guitar sound is nice. The girl singing softly at first. The crescendo is weak. Builds up to a slight disappointment. I dunno. I was just expecting more.

But after repeated listening, I found this song going through my head all the time so much that I had to stick it on again and again. I've started to forgive the weak crescendo. Great tune. I'm starting to see what the fuss is about.

Two people picked this, one was a remix but I could barely tell them apart so lumping them together.

5th/6th and 13.5 points for
    baggly

5th/6th and 13.5 points for
    Choc Chip

I feel love - Donna Summer;

What a tune. I love Giorgio Moroder. Groundbreaking at the time apparently. There's a story where Brian Eno and David Bowie were working on a new album when this came out and realised everything had just changed. The future of music had just been born. Weird electronic reverberations and a soul singer. Who knew.

4th and 15 points goes to
    GreeBo

• Advertisement

Last six .....
    Pretzill
    Green&Red
    fixxxer
    MickJaguar2
    Rikand
    MrKingsley

Gonna have a quick break

Hot chip - Over and Over; used to love this song. It introduced me to the band. I happened to see them last week at a festival. I wasn't expecting much as I'd fallen out of favour with them but they blew me away. They hit a perfect combination of soft dancy music; the leads clean voice but can also turn on a harsher overdriven sound which I love. It completely reinvigorated this song and its been back on rotation. Lucky you!

8th and 11 points for
    Ectoplasm

Excellent choice 10 days or so ago Ecto ;)

I feel love - Donna Summer;

Nice shout.
    *adds to running playlist*

Harder than you think - Public Enemy; Love a bit of horns. Chuck D's booming voice always gets me.

3rd and 16 points to
    Green&Red

The Rocky Road to Dublin - Dropkick Murphys;

Not working for me. There's an element of "You had to be there" around punk and Irish folk imo. They try combine the two. The lead singer is just shouting. Tin whistle doesn't add anything.

18th place and 1 point to
    fixxxer

Aww I like the Dropkicks

• Advertisement

School - Supertramp; I was waiting for this song to grow on me. It never did unfortunately. Sounds like a Pink Floyd copy cat. Really gets going with the piano but feels a bit disjointed. Still think a few more listens could have helped.

17th and 2 points to
    Pretzill

Rikand, MrKingsley and MicksJaguar left

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Aww I like the Dropkicks

I like shipping out to boston... that's about it :pac:

Aerials - System of a Down; Some heavy metal gets through to me. System of a Down was one of those bands. Loved this whole album. The lead singer can actually sing and doesn't go for that visceral scream at any point. Excellent if you gotta dig deep towards the end of a race. That over driven guitar really does it for me in those situations. I have no idea what the song is about. The sitar gives a funky mystical vibe to it towards the end.

2nd and 17 points to
    MickJaguar2

Red Moon Slide - Nitrous Oxide; Under certain circumstances I might enjoy this song, but its the kind of song I imagine is blaring in a gym. Its the reason why I have massive headphones to drown out their own songs. It really gets going in the middle though with the synth. First two minutes is a slog then it eases up a bit. Has really grown on me after repeated listens. It could do without the constant UNCE UNCE UNCE though

16th and 3 points
    Rikand

• Advertisement

King Kunta - Kendrick Lamar; Love this song. I found it really hard to get into Kendrick. I still do. But this song got through to me straight away. That baseline from the start. So many random elements get thrown in throughout. I'm utterly perplexed how a song like this is created. There's a sound in the first quarter that sounds like a dog panting. Big electric guitar solo at the end. Yet it all works. We want the funk.

1st and 18 points to
    MrKingsley

Full playlist is here

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1Cs6gHXGuWZTwsbSOQFZD4?si=I6J94DswQPG-D0r-ZxPQNQ

It was so much easier to listen to that in work rather than the music videos :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Thanks Partyjungle - Supertramp are one of my favourite all time, ever - School didn't do it for you - I suppose it's not an exercise track :) - speedy reveal - another great line-up of tracks.
    Well done Mr Kingsley for the top spot -

woooo hooo my first podium, sorrry I missed this PJ Cant wait to have a listen. congrats MR.K

I totally agree I hate heavy metal where the singer screeches but I love it when the singer is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Harder than you think - Public Enemy; Love a bit of horns. Chuck D's booming voice always gets me.

3rd and 16 points to
    Green&Red

Loved the London olympics and this was the anthem of it

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Green&Red wrote: »
    Loved the London olympics and this was the anthem of it

Actually it was used for the London Paralympics, and is still used as the theme music for The Last Leg, which started as a show covering the Paralympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,557 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ah, missed this :(
    I'll have to catch up tomorrow now

Scores after Round 2:

Player Song improved by video Song for running/exercise Total
    MicksJaguar 14 17 31
    Mr Kingsley 11 18 29
    Ectoplasm 15 11 26
    tusk 16 5 21
    Choc Chip 7 13.5 20.5
    osh 13 7 20
    Homer J. Fong 8 12 20
    Baggly 6 13.5 19.5
    fixxxer 18 1 19
    Pretzill 17 2 19
    Electric Nitwit 9 10 19
    Green&Red 3 16 19
    Strawberry Milkshake 10 8 18
    GreeBo 2 15 17
    tritium 12 4 16
    Barney92 4 9 13
    Rikand 5 3 8
    Necro 1 6 7

I've got a better idea for future reveals. I'll have it set up and ready to go; then reveal them all during the day while in work. All I'll be doing is copying and pasting. Better for you guys over a longer period?

I've got a better idea for future reveals. I'll have it set up and ready to go; then reveal them all during the day while in work. All I'll be doing is copying and pasting. Better for you guys over a longer period?

Anything works for me, was just taking some downtime this eve after being stuck on the laptop all afternoon lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭fixXxer

FROM HERO TO ZERO

;_;

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Missed this but landed higher than I expected with Titanium!

I've no idea what to expect Partyjungle - I can't wait for the computer game category. :D

Some cracking tunes there, can't wait to get a chance to listen to them all. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Works for me! I've got a pile of meetings over the next few days so might miss a good bit of reveals however they're done, but if they're stretched out longer I might be able to drop in and out. Whatever works for you though! :)

An idea i had and i dont know if it works would be to release the play list the day before the reveal and give everyone a chance to listen to all songs before the reveal but no placings or names.

I don't think it'd ruin the suspense, curious what others think though

An idea i had and i dont know if it works would be to release the play list the day before the reveal and give everyone a chance to listen to all songs before the reveal but no placings or names.

I don't think it'd ruin the suspense, curious what others think though

Might work, I find it hard enough to listen to all the songs during a live reveal anyways keep having to skip them and come back to em so would be kinda cool.

If you were releasing a YouTube playlist as an example you could just compile them in order submitted that way it doesn't reveal anything.

fixxxer wrote: »
    FROM HERO TO ZERO

;_;

Know the feeling Fixxxer :)

I think it's great what you're doing - somedays will be busier than others - and we can all.have a few days to check over and listen back.- that's always hard to do in reveal mode unless you already know the track well, anyway. Whichever suits you Party.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Pretzill wrote: »
    Thanks Partyjungle - Supertramp are one of my favourite all time, ever - School didn't do it for you - I suppose it's not an exercise track :) - speedy reveal - another great line-up of tracks.
    Well done Mr Kingsley for the top spot -

I LOVE Supertramp (you and I seem to have similar tastes :)) but I'd not have called it a work-out song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I don't even notice the unce in my preferred music category anymore, im all about the melodies. Either way, that's still perfect music for me to get into the zone for a workout. Completely shut out the world. I also listen to it when on a plane. Just makes the flight go so much faster. 7 tracks and you know your an hour in!

• Advertisement

Hoping to get half of these out today and finish it off in the morning. Apologise, I've been listening. Just haven't got around to ordering.

Advertisement