Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PJ's Odobenus rosmarus reveal

Comments

Loving the 80s choices so far

Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel; Great song. I've overplayed it this stage unfortunately.

11th place and 8 points for
    Homer J Fong

It's the End of the world as we know it - REM; My dad used to play a ton of REM growing up. This wouldn't be my favourite track of there's but its certainly not a bad song.

10th place and 9 points for
    Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

^^
    Great track REM are brilliant.

Pretzill wrote: »
    ^^
    Great track REM are brilliant.

They really are

• Advertisement

Don't you forget about me - Simple Minds; I think this is the song at the end of the breakfast club, when yer man is frozen while fist pumping the air. You definitely had to be there when that film was released, I watched it as a teenager after constantly hearing it being referenced. It's not very good. It's full of cliches. Maybe it was the film that created those cliches. The dance scene is hilariously bad. Anyway, it introduced me to this song though. Quite the tune.

9th place and 10 points for
    Pretzill

Chung Kuo - Vangelis; Starts off terribly. First Impressions were not good. Song actually starts at 1:30 imo. Then I felt like I was transported to Blade Runner. Nice majesty, floaty vices from it.

8th place and 10 points for
    Rikand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Maybe I should have submitted the bladerunner theme also by vangelis lol. Went for the predecessor ;)

Glad you liked it :)

If anyone wants to listen to a trance version (not many of you I know) art of trance put out this homage a few years ago ::

I remember that tune. Was that from blade runner?

Down to Earth - Curiousity Killed The Cat; Nice funky tune

7th place and 12 points for
    Strawberry Milkshake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I remember that tune. Was that from blade runner?

Chung kuo wasn't, but its the same composer who did blade runner so there would be similarities for sure between the works. Chung kuo has probably been used in other films or TV ads I'm sure though. I always think it sounds a little like something you might hear in a bond film

Jack & Diane - John Mellencamp; I was hoping songs like this would pop up. Songs that I didn't realise I knew already. I've never even heard of John Mellencamp but I know this song inside out.

6th place and 13 points for
    Barney92

Oh yeah, life goes on

Love it, Barney

Wicked Game - Chris Isaak; Another song that I didn't know that I knew. Chris Isaak as got some voice.

5th place and 14 points for
    Tritium

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Pssst. I think you had 2 11th and 10th places PJ?

:)

I'm going to listen to these tonight -there's some mad flashbacks with some of those!

A lollipop to whoever can see what I did wrong with the ranking system so far :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Trit I was very close to going for that one

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Pssst. I think you had 2 11th and 10th places PJ?

:)

I'm going to listen to these tonight -there's some mad flashbacks with some of those!

Yeah just spotted that when there was 4 songs left and I somehow at 7th place.

I counted back up to 11 after 10.

Counting is hard. My fingers only go up to 10.

Take on me - A-ha; Great song. Still stands up today. Reminds me of being drunk in college belting it out on the dance floor thinking I can hit those high notes. I can't and couldn't.

4th place and 15 points for
    baggly

So I’m in 7th not 9th place ?

• Advertisement

The final three
    Ecto
    Choc Chip
    MrKingsley

I did this 100% blind btw. I'm only finding out who is who when I'm posting them now.
    MrKingsley
    hasn't paid my off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Surprised blue Monday by new order wasn’t picked. Was thinking of entering it myself but seemed a bit obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Checks to see if Party Jungle is Mr Kingsley :)

I've never been in the top three before!

I actually can't remember what I entered so i'm looking forward to finding out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I've never been in the top three before!

A loving sonnet to PJ in a pm usually guarantees it

Almost home from work

She bangs the drums - The Stone Roses; Another band that was blaring throughout my house growing up. I eventually found the album myself in my teens only to find I knew all the songs already but just didn't know the names to them. That first album is utterly outstanding. Every song on it is decent. Their second album, aptly named Second Coming, was a classic difficult second album. I loved it though as I actually listened to it first. This is arguably my favourite song of theirs but it's hard to pick when there's at least 10 songs that I could say the same thing. Fair play to Manchester for producing The Smiths, The Stone Roses and Oasis. I'd recommend you watch 24 Hour Party People if you haven't already.

3rd place and 16 points for
    Choc Chip

Africa - Toto; A classic. I initially thought it was fairly cheesey but came across an acoustic version and realised its simply a fantastic song once you move past and embrace the 80's-ness of it. I did a trip to kilimanjaro in college years ago. Everyone on the bus started singing this song. I'd somehow never, ever heard it. I was utterly perplexed how 30 strangers could put a song together on a whym and know all the lyrics. Unsurprisingly, a song called Africa reminds me of a trip to Africa.

2nd place and 17 points for
    Ectoplasm

• Advertisement

Betty Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes; Love this track. Will always remind me of a summer spent in California. We found her name on the Hollywood walk of fame (or whatever its called, its a horrible place with lookalikes badgering you like beggars for a dollar). My friend with particularly small hands fit perfectly into Betty Davis' hand-prints; Ever since, he and this have been known as Betty Davis Hands.

1st place and 18 points for
    MrKingsley

Advertisement