Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone use a Power Meter for running?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Been using mine for over a year now and have found it great, love having all the stats as I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to all that.

I actually have 2 as it's exactly the kind of birthday present you buy for a running nerd so after buying one myself I got another as a gift.
    I'll do a deal for anybody who wants to buy it off me!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

So my talk of maybe getting one, turns out I dont really need it. I have a Garmin 645 Music and a proper Garmin Run-HRM. Download a quick app from the Connect store and I have a power monitor on the watch.

Not as in depth as stryd but a good introduction anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

sideswipe wrote: »
    Been using mine for over a year now and have found it great, love having all the stats as I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to all that.

I actually have 2 as it's exactly the kind of birthday present you buy for a running nerd so after buying one myself I got another as a gift.
    I'll do a deal for anybody who wants to buy it off me!

Still have this by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I went for a run yesterday and, long story short, stupidly ran through river water for about 2 - 3 minutes. My feet were very submerged. It didn't occur to me until after that I could have just unclipped the Stryd and carried on.
    Anyway, power was frozen for a few minutes but then was fine for the rest of the run.

Today there is no life from it.
    It isn't being found by the app or my Garmin.
    Does anyone have any experience of these coming back to life?
    It's on charge the last couple of hours with no success. Going into a bag of rice next

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

Haven't had that problem. There's no reset button on it so if can't connect you need to leave the battery drain completely which I think means wearing it for all runs for a few few weeks or putting it on your shoe while walking about all day.

Can you pick up a Bluetooth signal from it?

Leave it dry properly anyway for a day or 2 before trying to charge it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I'd say drop their customer support a question as they were quite responsive the one time I sent them a query.

Thanks for the feedback folks

It's been dead since Saturday at this point.
    Allowing it to dry out, checking for a charge hasn't seen any change.
    Initially when I tried to charge it Saturday night after letting it sit near a rad for a bit there was a light on top but that hasn't happened again.
    Support have said pretty much the same as you guys and to wait and see.

Problem is, I'm committed to a virtual 10k on Saturday or Sunday (crappy weather dependent) and over the last 8 weeks I've set myself a goal of breaking PBs. 400m, 800m, 1km, 1mile, 3km and 5km have all gone so I've become hopelessly devoted to power. Nothing earth shattering but beating a time you set in your 30s while in your mid 40s is always nice.

So I've treated myself to a new one. I've been good during lockdown and not spent all the diesel money I'm saving.
    I hope to have it later this week.

If the other one comes back to life it can be a spare in case I decide to run through a river again like a big thicko

Update from yesterday:

Reaffirming my belief in humanity......

I got an email and text from Stryd last night saying I was being refunded €114.50.
    My initial thought was that my card had failed as BOI have a habit of blocking it when I try to buy something and then not telling me.

But shortly afterwards I got a mail from their customer support that as my pod had failed, and they could see it on Power Center, they were giving me a new one half price.
    Bear in mind I was completely honest and upfront with them in my first contact and admitted I had ran through a river so admitted that the failure was all my fault.

I'm not suggesting we all go and wreck our pods to try and get a discount on a new one but it's a nice customer service story for once.
    They didn't say not to tell anyone about the discount so no harm in letting this little group know about my good fortune and endorse Stryd as a decent bunch to deal with.

It may not be of any use to anyone but if anyone here wants the charging pad free of charge from my broken pod I'll happily send it on to you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

Wow thats amazing from them, fair play

Advertisement