Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance with pre existing medical condition???

• 09-08-2019 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭

hi folk, i booked a hiking trip a while ago and never got around to booking insurance...

last week I acquired a strained intercostal muscle - been off work since..

Doc and Physio reckon I should be ok before the trip which is two weeks from now..

But I need to book travel insurance..

Gonna make a few calls.. so do I tell them about my situation? will I be covered?

I usually go with the AA..

Would like to hear some advice from those in the know though before I make the calls

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

General advice, always be 100% honest and open with insurance, otherwise you might not be covered.

I have annual travel insurance with AA.
    Every year when I renew I declare that I have an existing medical condition.
    I then get put through to another company ( UK based ) who ask a string of questions, and based in that there is an addendum to my main policy and an extra premium deducted . The extra premium is minuscule, less than €20.
    My medical condition is more serious and permanent than yours so I’d expect the extra cost to you to be also minimal.
    The process is a bit of a pain, probably 10 minutes or so extra on the phone, but with insurance you can’t take chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭sporina

towger wrote: »
    General advice, always be 100% honest and open with insurance, otherwise you might not be covered.

I have annual travel insurance with AA.
    Every year when I renew I declare that I have an existing medical condition.
    I then get put through to another company ( UK based ) who ask a string of questions, and based in that there is an addendum to my main policy and an extra premium deducted . The extra premium is minuscule, less than €20.
    My medical condition is more serious and permanent than yours so I’d expect the extra cost to you to be also minimal.
    The process is a bit of a pain, probably 10 minutes or so extra on the phone, but with insurance you can’t take chances.

thanks aaaaaa million (no pun intended by the "aaaa")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭Guffy

Do you have any further investigation or treatment planned on it, not including physio? If you do it would be excluded from cover so any claim that is directly or indirectly relating to it would be excluded. If not just declare it and answer the questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭sporina

Guffy wrote: »
    Do you have any further investigation or treatment planned on it, not including physio? If you do it would be excluded from cover so any claim that is directly or indirectly relating to it would be excluded. If not just declare it and answer the questions.

just to go to my gp ( for work certs n social - hope to be back to work for a few days before the trip though)

Advertisement