Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would I be absolutely insane to buy a house backing onto a busy GAA grounds?

Options
  • 09-08-2019 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

So we have viewed a lovely house that checks most if our boxes although it's bit bigger than we need. BER D1 ðŸ™.

Anyway my question is about the GAA factor. The pitch is immediately behind the house separated by a fir hedge. Training 7 nights a week and in Sundays too.

My thoughts on cons

Noise from training
    Traffic from cars going training. The entrance is immediately beside the house entrance.
    Flood lights are shining on the house.
    Poor resale ability. If I'm thinking hard about this so would future buyers.

Love to hear your thoughts folks...thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Depends

Is there enough parking inside the gate to the ground or nearby?

It wont just be evenings - underage training, blitz , summer camps etc. will be on also

Does anyone moving into the house work nights?

Maybe talk to the next nearest house and see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭In the wind

waffleman wrote: »
    Depends

Is there enough parking inside the gate to the ground or nearby?

It wont just be evenings - underage training, blitz , summer camps etc. will be on also

Does anyone moving into the house work nights?

Maybe talk to the next nearest house and see what they say

So we visited during training this evening and the car park was 90%full.
    Yep point taken on top of the training sessions.
    No, no night workers.

Might do that. Thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Might buy that house if i got a 20-30 per cent discount on the other house,s in the area .
    go round some time 7-8 pm ,
    is there much noise,
    is it very loud , does the training go on for 2-3 hours .
    do 10 -12 teens training make that much noise ?
    how far is the pitch from the house .
    of course it will effect the re sale value of the house .
    Depends where the house is,
    if its in dublin 2,
    or santry it could be bought by an investor as a rental property.
    is there training during the day sunday, saturday .
    she how much light there is at night from the flood lights .
    say average price is 250k,for a house that,s 500 yards away from the pitch .
    i would not pay more than 210k for that house.

I know families that really enjoy living next to gaa grounds.

They play for the team, coach underage, keep fit using the pitch and astro turf and get tickets to any county games they want.

Perhaps get a home insurance quote now. A gaa ground might not make any difference but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hi, as others have said it all depends on what the parking/noise situation is like.

If it is any consolation I live with a back garden facing on to GAA football and underage hurling grounds/ park. Never a bother. The great thing is there are no houses overlooking us either, just green fields (immaculately kept by the Council I think), and the training sessions are usually early in the evening, underage hurling early Sat morning, the actual games Saturday and Sunday. We are used to it now.

Parking is not a problem either. There are changing rooms in the GAA club across the park plus parking.

This is an inner Dublin suburb too. We are actually blessed I think. Great to see the nippers on a Saturday morning training with their hurls that are sometimes bigger than themselves!

• Advertisement

You have more privacy,
    theres no house,s behind you ,overlooking you.
    When there is no training or match,s going on,
    it will be quiet .
    no house.,s will be built behind you in 5 years time .
    behind my gaff ,theres a 6 storey apartment building.
    maybe arrange to view house when there is training in progress,
    to see what the noise level is like inside .

Thanks for all the inputs folks. I should clarify it's not in Dublin.

The price is certainly lower than similar houses further away. It's about 20 meters I reckon to the pitch sideline which is where the most noise would be during matches. Parking would overflow durable g matches I predict as it was 90^occupied during training this evening.

Last thing I can think of.

At a gaa pitch near me they rent the clubhouse and 2 prefabs in the car park out as a gaolscoil.

This would obviously mean a lot more noise and traffic first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Check for water run off from the pitch, and that it's not causing any issues in the garden of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I lived opposite some GAA fields. Noise, lights, litter. Cars being abandoned by people going to training or games, often blocking our driveway or on our grass, always making it so difficult to drive down the road.

Was very happy to move and would never live so close to a sports facility again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Buy a house beside a golf course instead.

Caranica wrote: »
    I lived opposite some GAA fields. Noise, lights, litter. Cars being abandoned by people going to training or games, often blocking our driveway or on our grass, always making it so difficult to drive down the road.

Was very happy to move and would never live so close to a sports facility again.

Yes these are some of my fears. We're not from the area so we don't have much exposure to the really busy times. I'm leaning away from it as I think the quality of life will be near constantly I pinged by the GAA activity next door.‚

Pity because otherwise it is ideal.

Yep, unless youre a GAA fanatic, the risk it that it will niggle at you and begin to bother you. Youll never be 100% happy in the home if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes these are some of my fears. We're not from the area

Ahh ... I came in here to say:

If you're a respected member of the local GAA fraternity, go for it. If not run-rabbit-run.

Are you happy to put up with the noise, 2-3 hours training every evening,
    match,s on saturday and sunday, heavy traffic .
    in my experience theres usually 1 0r 2 match,s on saturday or sunday.
    If its a pitch used by local teams where there are tickets sold.
    In every rural town theres house,s in the price range 100-200k,
    with large back garden.s detached and in quiet area,s .
    If you do not think you could be happy to live there for 10 years plus ,
    start looking at other house,s .
    The advantage of rural area,s is there are a wide range of house,s
    for sale.
    Even if you only need a 2 bed house, there is no harm
    in buying a large 3 bed house if its in the area where you want to live .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

With regards to noise, you will get used to it and it wont be occuring at hours too unsociable.

I used to live under a flight path only a few km from the airport, you would be very surprised how you get used to regular noises.

As noted earlier , parking is the big one, if it has its own drive with room for a few cars maybe its not a big deal, if you are parking on the road, any overflow from the grounds will impact you sooner.

I dont think i would have any qualms buying near a GAA ground, you are nearly guarenteed it will never be developed.

Advertisement