Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't locate landlord to give notice

Options
  • 09-08-2019 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hi folks hopefully someone can help or has had similar experiences.

We have recently bought our own house after renting a property for 7 years.
    There has never been a problem getting hold of landlord for any issues we ever had in the house.

It says in our contract we only need to give a month's notice.

We don't have a address for him as it is his old address. We used to just contact him through text or email.

I have tried to text and email him to let him know also have text his brother.
    There has been no response yet.

Just wondering what happens if we can't get hold of him? as obviously we want to get into our new place and stop rental payments.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Ring the number you have?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Ring the number you have?

Ye sorry meant to say it's giving no ring tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

sugarman wrote: »
    Stop paying your rent, he'll get back to you quick enough!

There has to be a better way but it is "one" way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

sugarman wrote: »
    Stop paying your rent, he'll get back to you quick enough!

I'd agree, because as it stands you have no indication that you'll be able to contact him to get your deposit back. So, at the very least, don't pay the last month's rent.

I'd agree, because as it stands you have no indication that you'll be able to contact him to get your deposit back. So, at the very least, don't pay the last month's rent.

We had just paid the rent there on Wednesday that was going to cover us until the 6th September

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

We had just paid the rent there on Wednesday that was going to cover us until the 6th September

Send a tax saying the house has been flooded, that should smoke him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,520 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Check rip.ie he may be dead......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The landlord can't contract away their rights. After 7 years he is entitled to 84 days notice from you. He may agree to 1 month when you track him down but be prepared to be told he needs the legal 12 weeks.

If you pay your rent directly to their bank account, the bank may be willing to pass on a message. They've done it for me in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Look him up on RTB?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Phone number might have changed suddenly. Send him an email.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

beertons wrote: »
    Phone number might have changed suddenly. Send him an email.

The OP has done that already, this is from the first post:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Ooops, missed that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Would his local post office have a forwarding address for him

Would any of you paperwork have solicitors info that you could ring.

Don't know if this would work or not. Could you send him a letter to old address and right not at this address on it . Would an post then send it to his new address.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think you might be as well off to contact your solicitor and ask them what the position is as regards getting in touch with him. Obviously you can't live there forever, so I'd be asking whether the 1 month notice clause in your lease is valid, or if he needs the 84 days.

Then find out if you can't contact him and he's not responding to texts or emails, are you within your rights to send an email giving 1 month notice, say you'll be out on "x" date, and then move your stuff out and either put the keys in the letterbox or hold on to them til he contacts you to get them back? The downside to this is you may lose your deposit, but I'd nearly guarantee he would get in touch when the rent payments stop. You just want to make sure that everything is above board before doing something like that, so check with your solicitor.

Also, might sound daft, but have you tried searching for him on Facebook etc? Is it possible he's emigrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

How long have you been trying to contact him? Is it a matter of days, weeks, months or years?

He could quite easily simply be on holiday.

The chances are you are panicking for no good reason, but without providing some really basic info no one can advise you on how to proceed.

Sorry guys yes your right he was on holiday. He has replied today.
    I was just panicking as didn't want to pay another month.
    Good news is he has confirmed the 1 month notice and will inspect house in coming weeks.

Thanks to all for help and advice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hi folks hopefully someone can help or has had similar experiences.

We have recently bought our own house after renting a property for 7 years.
    There has never been a problem getting hold of landlord for any issues we ever had in the house.

It says in our contract we only need to give a month's notice.

We don't have a address for him as it is his old address. We used to just contact him through text or email.

Just wondering what happens if we can't get hold of him? as obviously we want to get into our new place and stop rental payments.

Cheers

you cant give away your rights. Your contract may say one month but there is a statuary notice period which is greater but the fact you got him to agree fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Sorry guys yes your right he was on holiday. He has replied today.
    I was just panicking as didn't want to pay another month.
    Good news is he has confirmed the 1 month notice and will inspect house in coming weeks.

Thanks to all for help and advice.

Thank God was losing sleep over this...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

godtabh wrote: »
    you cant give away your rights. Your contract may say one month but there is a statuary notice period which is greater but the fact you got him to agree fair play

In this case, you can.

It cannot be part of the initial contract. But at the end, you can mutually agree to a shorter notice period, and most reasonable people do this.

Advertisement