Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disease in hares and rabbits

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

@ Knipex.

Excellent posts. Well explained and educational. I know some things i did not and your points are hard if not impossible to argue against.

As Eddie B said this may be the end for Coursing. If given the chance to try and breed a captive population of Hares regardless of the cost i think they may. If not then i doubt you'll see another course meeting and given public opinion towards it you'll find no support for anywhere and not even among other shooting groups i dare say.

Our sport(s) are suffering death by a thousand cuts so it saddens and annoys me that another may be facing the cull.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

Coursing clubs will just have to run meets off as open coursing, like was done before. It may have to be done over a few weekends etc. But it can be managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

BryanL wrote: »
    Coursing clubs will just have to run meets off as open coursing, like was done before. It may have to be done over a few weekends etc. But it can be managed.

I think this is the only outcome that would keep the sport alive. Breeding hares for coursing is simply a no go. Be like an episode of Father Ted, with the rabbits

If indeed hares can't transmit the disease to other hares, then that is something thst was deliberately kept from the public. Concerns we had here, that this was simply used as a way to ban coursing, seems to be the same concerns viewed by many rural people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Eddie B wrote: »
    If indeed hares can't transmit the disease to other hares, then that is something thst was deliberately kept from the public. Concerns we had here, that this was simply used as a way to ban coursing, seems to be the same concerns viewed by many rural people.

I would be very very surprised if that's true.

One of the key differentiators on RHD 2 is its environmental survival. It can potentially be spread on boots walking through land so how an infected hare wouldn't shed is beyond me,.,.

knipex wrote: »

I would be very very surprised if that's true.

One of the key differentiators on RHD 2 is its environmental survival. It can potentially be spread on boots walking through land so how an infected hare wouldn't shed is beyond me,.,.

We'll one things for certain. There are lies being told. It's the first time ive heard that myself, so be interesting to see whether it's fact or fiction.

Eddie B wrote: »
    We'll one things for certain. There are lies being told. It's the first time ive heard that myself, so be interesting to see whether it's fact or fiction.

Lots of "evidence" that vaccines are dangerous too.

Lots of nonsense peddled as science. so I would be very very curious to see the source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Excellent posts knipex
    It's a pity to see coursing affected by this but it doesn't look like there's an easy way out.

The only places I know of that have the hares netted for coursing are overrun with them. It seems to keep the farmers happy that they're getting rid of a few - I know they certainly don't want them released back in there. So why not just run the greyhounds unmuzzled again.
    It's win win for everyone.

thelurcher wrote: »
    Excellent posts knipex
    It's a pity to see coursing affected by this but it doesn't look like there's an easy way out.

The only places I know of that have the hares netted for coursing are overrun with them. It seems to keep the farmers happy that they're getting rid of a few - I know they certainly don't want them released back in there. So why not just run the greyhounds unmuzzled again.
    It's win win for everyone.

I think muzzling is the only reason we still have coursing here. You have to remember that they are a protected species and not seen as vermin. Also, there are very few places in this country that are over run with hares. Don't think they are a major problem for farmers. You couldn't put them in the same category as rabbits for damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Is there meant to be an announcement on this today?

Mattie McGrath was on the Matt Cooper show today around 17:20 talking about the coursing ban.

Didn't mince his words.

Implied Josepha Madigan was attacking rural lifestyle and the sports within it, said this was the third such attack she has launched in as many weeks, and outright saying that she is going against the wishes of the majority of the FG party.

He said what some of us have been saying on this thread that the timing of this ban was not coincidental. That the ban will not be reversed, and explaining the effect it'll have not only on the sport, but on the local and national level not to mention the financial cost.

He also went into, albeit to a small degree, the practices of the sport because Cooper started off with the usual hype of "poor defenceless Hares being torn apart" to which he corrected him and educated him on how the dogs are muzzled, the treatment of the Hares, the conservation aspect, and finally how the Hares are treated/vaccinated before release.

He started to talk about Madigan's recent study in conjunction with the NPWS but my radio started to lose the signal so i didn't get it all, but i caught the context which was the study did not support Madigan's actions.

Must try and find the podcast.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭slipperyox

As mentioned earlier.
    Although I am against coursing.
    I am even more against the current modus operandi , of eliminating it.

There should be discussion, reasoning, evaluation and weighing of all parties commensurate with a democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Cass wrote: »
    Mattie McGrath was on the Matt Cooper show today around 17:20 talking about the coursing ban.

Didn't mince his words.

Implied Josepha Madigan was attacking rural lifestyle and the sports within it, said this was the third such attack she has launched in as many weeks, and outright saying that she is going against the wishes of the majority of the FG party.

He said what some of us have been saying on this thread that the timing of this ban was not coincidental. That the ban will not be reversed, and explaining the effect it'll have not only on the sport, but on the local and national level not to mention the financial cost.

He also went into, albeit to a small degree, the practices of the sport because Cooper started off with the usual hype of "poor defenceless Hares being torn apart" to which he corrected him and educated him on how the dogs are muzzled, the treatment of the Hares, the conservation aspect, and finally how the Hares are treated/vaccinated before release.

He started to talk about Madigan's recent study in conjunction with the NPWS but my radio started to lose the signal so i didn't get it all, but i caught the context which was the study did not support Madigan's actions.

Whilst I agree with everything he said, it should be remembered that Mattie was singlehandedly responsible for the closure of the range in Newcastle.

And, appropriately for the thread, there is no better man to "run with the hare and hunt with the hounds"

Vizzy wrote: »
    And, appropriately for the thread, there is no better man to "run with the hare and hunt with the hounds"
    Absolutely agree and when i heard him being introduced i was waiting for the train wreck. Granted i couldn't understand his first 30 seconds because of his high pitched and inaudible rant, but once he settled down i could.

He [McGrath] then made a quick "exit, stage right" because the next caller, whom he didn't want to speak to, on the other side was none other than John Carmody. As per all leftists he only went on about feelings and the "tortured anguish" that can be seen in the eyes of the Hares and how nothing has changed. When Cooper challenged him on this saying the dogs are now muzzled, there is a duty of care to the Hares, the medical and vaccination aspect, Carmody just continued on his "won't someone think of the children" routine.

I've said it before you won't win an argument when the other side use morality instead of facts. Never. So don't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

slipperyox wrote: »
    As mentioned earlier.

There should be discussion, reasoning, evaluation and weighing of all parties commensurate with a democracy.

There will always be a crowd which will drown out any sensible debate and say this is animal cruelty while knowing nothing about rural life or where their food comes from.

Farming is already under attack either dairy.beef and poultry.
    Fishing and shooting is also on their radar.

They illegal coursing by individuals who live in citys and side of the road will still continue.

McGrath although I know nothing of him he spoke well enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

slipperyox wrote: »
    As mentioned earlier.

There will always be a crowd which will drown out any sensible debate and say this is animal cruelty while knowing nothing about rural life or where their food comes from.

Farming is already under attack either dairy.beef and poultry.
    Fishing and shooting is also on their radar.

They illegal coursing by individuals who live in citys and side of the road will still continue.

McGrath although I know nothing of him he spoke well enough.

Cass wrote: »

Didn't mince his words.

if we are dependent on Matie Mcgrath to defend Rural Ireland then we are in trouble..

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

Sad to see the ban in effect. Coursing meetings where a big event locally. For a long as I can remember there’s been a meet taking place. The crowds it brought into a small village and financial impact it had was hugely beneficial. Don’t know how many people now I’ve heard saying the disease was introduced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement