Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop for school

• 10-08-2019 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hello
    It has been recommended that my 10 year old get a laptop to help speed up schoolwork. I know noting about computers so I haven’t a clew what I’m looking for. Can anyone recomed something suitable
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Lenovo think pad T430 is durable and a good computer
    It is possible that if she has a diagnosis such as dysgraphia or dyslexia etc that the school could order one on her behalf

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Why have they been recommended for a laptop ? If it’s for an SEN , you need to work with the school to acquire one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Will they be leaving it class, home or carrying it around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Really, at 10? What school work is it expected to help with?

All I can think of is maybe research for light project work. But thats nothing that can't be done with parents help using phone/tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

They are needed in primary school for lessons and using them in primary helps them prepare for secondary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

JDxtra wrote: »

All I can think of is maybe research for light project work. But thats nothing that can't be done with parents help using phone/tablet.

Lot of other reasons why a laptop can be helpful.

https://www.fantasticdyspraxic.co.uk/how-to-choose-the-right-laptop-for-your-dyspraxic-and-or-dyslexic-child-to-use-in-school/

http://www.dyslexia.ie/information/computers-and-technology/general-benefits-and-advice/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

JDxtra wrote: »

Not especially helpful . If the parent has asked , there is a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Was actually trying to be helpful by making sure it is required in the first place. There's not much detail in the original post and no mention of any special requirements.

It's a big investment for anyone. I have a 10 year old, and he does not require a laptop for school work.

The link posted above by beauf has some very good general advice about choosing a laptop. Do your research in advance. The likes of Curry's and Harvey Norman will try to upsell like crazy so be prepared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

pdstck wrote: »
    Hello
    It has been recommended that my 10 year old get a laptop to help speed up schoolwork. I know noting about computers so I haven’t a clew what I’m looking for. Can anyone recomed something suitable
    Thanks
    Check if you can buy it through the school.

The benefits of this is that it'll be one that is suitable for the task at hand, and you should be able to get it cheaper as it's for a school going child.

Advertisement