Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart light switch with no hub?

• 10-08-2019 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, Im a farmer and have recently bought a smart plug for use in a shed to turn a mains fencer on and off. It works great and I also a camera set up in there for spring calving which also works great. The next thing I want to add is a smart switch to control the lights in there. I see this as being particularly handy in the winter when looking at the camera at night.

The smart plug needs no hub as its TP Link and looked into getting a smart switch from them but they don't seem to stock them anymore. After checking the reviews it seems they were for the US voltage anyway.

So my question is there any smart switch I can install that doesn't require a hub? Wi fi in there is quite strong but it seems impossible to find one that will work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Sonoff don't require a hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭robclay26

endainoz wrote: »
    Hi folks, Im a farmer and have recently bought a smart plug for use in a shed to turn a mains fencer on and off. It works great and I also a camera set up in there for spring calving which also works great. The next thing I want to add is a smart switch to control the lights in there. I see this as being particularly handy in the winter when looking at the camera at night.

The smart plug needs no hub as its TP Link and looked into getting a smart switch from them but they don't seem to stock them anymore. After checking the reviews it seems they were for the US voltage anyway.

So my question is there any smart switch I can install that doesn't require a hub? Wi fi in there is quite strong but it seems impossible to find one that will work.

If you have a neutral wire at the current switch the cheapest option and they are super is Sonoff. You can turn on and off with google on phone, google home, set timers, come on with sunset and off at sunrise or any time in between.

EWeLink is the app to set them up and you link it to google home account and you’re good to go. They are Aprox €17 for single gang, €19-20 for 2 gang and €21-24 for 3 gang on eBay. And CE approved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭endainoz

Thanks for the quick replies folks, will try that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Eufy also don't require a hub. These are available on Amazon made by the same company that makes Anker products which are very good

Eufy AK-T1011321 Lumos Smart Bulb-White, Soft White (2700K), 9W, Works With Amazon Alexa, No Hub Required, Wi-Fi, 60W Equivalent, Dimmable LED Bulb, A19, E27, 800 Lumens https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075J92B39/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nNRtDbVYDDTNK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

robclay26 wrote: »
    If you have a neutral wire at the current switch the cheapest option and they are super is Sonoff. You can turn on and off with google on phone, google home, set timers, come on with sunset and off at sunrise or any time in between.

EWeLink is the app to set them up and you link it to google home account and you’re good to go. They are Aprox €17 for single gang, €19-20 for 2 gang and €21-24 for 3 gang on eBay. And CE approved

Is there any workaround for switches when you don't have a neutral wire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭robclay26

There is a brand called lighwave rf, they are expensive but don’t need a neutral wire, but you need dimmable bulbs. This system works by dimming the bulb to basically been off but current going through it to keep the circuit live for the switch to turn the bulb “on” again

Also Phillips hue be another option.

Try and get a neutral to the switch and sonoff is the cheapest option

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I notice that a lot of these smart switches used LED's for the button, which I think is a bit ugly and would be distracting in a room while watching TV/sleeping.

Does anyone know of a wifi smart switch, with neutral, that doesn't have LED's that light up like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote: »
    I notice that a lot of these smart switches used LED's for the button, which I think is a bit ugly and would be distracting in a room while watching TV/sleeping.

Does anyone know of a wifi smart switch, with neutral, that doesn't have LED's that light up like this?

Mine !!!!

I've made my own. I've MK edge brushed stainless steel, drilled them out and put in push to make switches in two ways.

One to run the button on a FM transmitter
    One soldered into a sonoff directly. (In this case I added the led you dislike back in, but I wanted it to see it the output was juiced up or not)

Joking aside. You can use any switch you want if it has momentary switches in its range. I was just saving money as I bought cheap parts that look like they cost more

In the case if sonoff 10 amp units it's a handy solder

In the case of Sonoff RF remotes paired with sonoff RF 10 amp units it's a more difficult solder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭endainoz

Thanks for all the help guys, the switch arrived today so was making an attempt to install it. Luckily I do have a neutral wire so we have three wires going into the old light switch. Is it necessary to keep the old switch on it or am I better leaving it off?

I connected the three coming out of the mains side but I'm a bit lost as to where to go next. Small fuse board in the shed is turned off, as it the main fuse board in the house so no threat of shock. I'm just a bit confused on how the out put wires should line up?

After testing if the first time nothing happened and to make it worse the other plugs going in the shed don't work now either....I've obviously stopped the circuit somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Aeotec do a switch and dimmer unit that doesn't require a neutral but they are not cheap, €50+ a pop if I recall correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Another option is Nedis, PowerCity selling them for €15. Got one to check it out amd so far so good. No flicker like I'm getting with most bulbs I try on LightwaveRF dimmers.

Advertisement