Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into A.I.

Options
  • 10-08-2019 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I'm quite interested in learning more about artificial intelligence and machine learning and would like to maybe end up working in the health sector, somehow using that.

I've been working in I.T. all my career and my most recent job is a software engineer in test writing web automation using Java and Selenium.

I'm not quite sure where or how to get started in A.I though.

Anyone here got experience working in that area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yes, AI does not exist. Machine learning however is a booming field. Go start messing around with python and various ML libs.

It's the marketing types that keep calling it AI, not the engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Very much the above, A.I is marketing hype, buzz words, and snake skin salesman stuff. Get going on some statistics and machine learning courses to see if you like them. I've recently done some courses on Datacamp that were OK intros.

As an aside I'm working on a mini ML project with Python, Scikit-Learn and Jupyter notebooks, if anyone has any experience and wouldn't mind taking a look at it for comments/insights could they PM me?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

As they say, AI is Powerpoint, ML is Python.

Go brush up on Linear regression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Yeah probably should have been more specific. I know A.I. is a more general term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

The Galway Machine Learning Meetup.com group hosted an event last night about 'a pyramidal approach for designing deep neural networks and its applications'. I didn't get to attend, but user-groups such as this could be another approach you could take?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

I've recently started a one year Springboard course in Artificial Intelligence at DCU. The first semester is entirely dedicated to Statistical Data Analysis because that is the foundation. I think that came as a shock for a lot of the class. Talking to some of the students in a lab session they expected to get Machine Learning 101 on the first day. They didn't expect to need a baseline in maths and statistics.

Next semester we get to tackle the sexier stuff: Data Analytics, Data Mining and Machine Learning.

Advertisement