Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir introduces new ‘No Limits Data’ mobile service with limit of 80GB

• 10-08-2019 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭

As per article below

"Eir introduces new ‘No Limits Data’ mobile service with limit of 80GB". I know they scrapped the "Unlimited" phrasing but surely this is exactly the same.

Glad that the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland (ASAI) are going to review mobile companies etc advertising "unlimited" or "no limits" but you are actually limited to the usage.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/eir-introduces-new-no-limits-data-mobile-service-with-limit-of-80gb-38386114.html
    wrote:

EIR has introduced a new mobile service called ‘No Limits Data’ with a limit of 80GB.

The move comes as the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland has said that it is to review the use of terms such as “unlimited” in broadband and mobile ads for services that have limits or “fair use” caps.

When the data limit of the Eir’s ‘No Limits’ service is reached, the company says that the service will be “slowed down”. The company declined to say how slow the amended speed would be, or whether it would still be able to access services such as Whatsapp, Facebook and email.

Eir’s marketing director has defended putting a limit on the new ‘No Limits’ data service, arguing that it amounts to be “effectively uncapped”.

The data limit “is essential to safeguard the quality of all our customers’ experience,” said Susan Brady, managing director of Eir Marketing.

“If an Eir customer reaches 80GB of data usage, which is 10 times more than the average customer’s monthly usage, they won't face extra charges or be cut off from the service. Instead, their speeds will be slowed until their next payment cycle. This will apply to less than 1pc of customers.”

The limited ‘No Limits’ data service comes as the company prepares for a 5G mobile launch in the Autumn.

“No Limits Data is a game-changer for mobile customers in Ireland and an important development as we prepare to deliver 5G in the coming months,” said Ms Brady.

“Our customers want to be connected at all times and to make the best use of every minute, whether that’s catching up on work in the park or on the latest Netflix series on their commute. eir mobile customers can now stream, download, chat and browse without the worry of running up large bills.”

Ms Brady said that the higher monthly data cap is part of the firm’s €150m investment in its mobile network and that half a million Eir mobile customers will “automatically enjoy No Limits Data when they next top up their credit or immediately on applicable bill pay plans”.

However, the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland (ASAI) says that it is to undertake a “comprehensive review” of telecom companies’ use of the term, which is leading to some customers getting unexpected additional monthly bills for exceeding hidden data limits.

“In relation to the word unlimited, the ASAI has identified this term as one to be reconsidered and we can confirm that a comprehensive review will be undertaken,” said a spokeswoman for the ASAI, adding that it specifically targeting telecoms firms who advertise mobile and broadband services.

At present, the ASAI allows broadband and mobile firms to describe their services as “unlimited” on billboards, television ads and websites if the hidden data cap affects no more than 1pc of the firm’s customers. The firms can do this by describing the data limits, which can vary substantially by provider, as “fair use policies”.

But the term has sparked dozens of complaints to the ASAI in recent years, with some customers expressing shock that an “unlimited” service is legally allowed to have hidden limits.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I've been complaining about this for at least 10 years now. We also need laws requiring bandwidth to be measured in MB/s and not Mb/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭KildareP

I shudder to think how the network will cope once this catches on.

Data speed has been abysmal for the last 2-3 months, significantly below 10Mb at peak times on 4G and their 3G speeds so slow as to be unusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

GarIT wrote: »
    We also need laws requiring bandwidth to be measured in MB/s and not Mb/s

Gerrrrrrupouttadat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

8GB average usage seems very low.
    Just to put things into perspective though, my Eir mobile bill is €55 month, with 15GB data and the Social Bundle aswell which doesn't impact on my 15GB. Now, Eir broadband at home costs the same(about €50), and data is capped at roughly 2TB(even though they say unlimited). Some difference is data allowances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

This effectively renders eir's mobile broadband and data add ons pointless.

They should have the option of 5GB for 5 euro, that would suit low usage customers.

Unless of course eir know that there are a lot of users that hardly ever use their data allowance and 'no limits data' is just a marketing ploy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Does anyone know if eir allows tethering / using hotspot ? Ie use in a 4g router ? Tia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if eir allows tethering / using hotspot ? Ie use in a 4g router ? Tia

I've popped in a router and while I do get excellent service for a couple of mins connection eventually increases in packet loss & pings until nothing will work, but still showing as connected on router mainpage. This occurs in both 3G and 4G. I've tried no APN, data.myeirmobile.ie, data.eir.ie, data.mymeteor.ie all with similar results.

I'm 4km LOS to mast with very good signal (using huawei tools). Router is an unlocked E5186s-22a that works no problems with three whose mast is co-located with Eir's.

On the Eir Simplicity plan, i.e. €20/28days data and calls, 5GB usage so well safe on FUP. I'm hoping it's an APN or similiar issue or else maybe Eir not liking phone SIMs in routers. Any ideas?

Jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Have you tried the SIM in a phone to see if it's any better

Eir having many problems reported recently...

https://downdetector.ie/status/eircom

...so it seems to be widespread.

Wonder has it anything to do with the new fair use limit of 80GB which was an overnight quadrupling of the previous cap of 20GB (on Simplicity).

Or some other network issue

Twitter page has plenty of dissatisfied customers...
    https://mobile.twitter.com/eir/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Thanks very much for that info Ten Pin as I wasn't aware of these Eir issues as I just picked up the Eir SIM in the past week and only have experience with Vodafone & three.

I had been trialling the SIM in my handset up until last night when I switched it into the router. I hadn't notice any such problems with the SIM in the phone. I'm also testing quite rurally (possible solution for light usage DSL line replacement) so certainly wasn't congestion unless it is a network wide issue Eir are having. Also speeds were very good (60/20) when it did work so I was guessing it was some APN issue but now i'm really not sure.

Either way I'll read up and test again in another couple of nights and post back with any news. I'm also interested to see what exactly goes on 80gb+.

Thanks again

jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

lowbatt07 wrote: »

Worked perfectly for me in Lanzarote this week. 30gb on roaming tethered to the laptop with HDMI lead to the apartment tv with no buffering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Does anyone know if they stick to the 120Gb for No Limits Data?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You are throttled when you exceed 120gb

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

When you go beyond 120 gb does anyone know what speed it is throttled too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

robbiep958 wrote: »
    When you go beyond 120 gb does anyone know what speed it is throttled too?

0.3Mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

GarIT wrote: »
    0.3Mb/s
    Not much slower than the non throttled speed

Advertisement