Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern technology which is shït.

Options
  • 10-08-2019 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭

Apropos of old tech you're glad to see the back of.

Electric windows in cars, right pain in the hole when they break down, usually stuck in the fully down position just when it starts pissing rain. Not cheap to repair either. The manual winding ones anyone with a little bit of guntering can fix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Those Amazon Alexa speakers and the like. Paying a company money to buy a device that they use to listen in on what you say. What you get in return is to be able to ask for your bland 90’s indie hits playlist on Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Apropos of old tech you're glad to see the back of.

Electric windows in cars, right pain in the hole when they break down, usually stuck in the fully down position just when it starts pissing rain. Not cheap to repair either. The manual winding ones anyone with a little bit of guntering can fix.

Electric doors. Who are they for?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

digital hobs that decide to switch themselves off

• Registered Users Posts: 23,810 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Electric cars.

I could give multiple reasons, but in summary they’re just shìt.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

Electric cars.

Give reasons? I think they are brilliant and will hopefully be the norm in 10 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Electric cars.

Best thing i ever bought.

2019 iTunes < 2004 iTunes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Those Amazon Alexa speakers and the like. Paying a company money to buy a device that they use to listen in on what you say. What you get in return is to be able to ask for your bland 90’s indie hits playlist on Spotify.

... or control your lights
    ... or control your TV
    ... or control your central heating
    ... or read out latest weather forecast
    ... or read out news headlines
    ... or add reminders

****ing best invention in past 10 years imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

You're doing it wrong if you think playing music is all they do

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

digital hobs that decide to switch themselves off

We got a new digital hob recently and I'm very sorry we didn't go for the one with the knobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

shamrock55 wrote: »
    We got a new digital hob recently and I'm very sorry we didn't go for the one with the knobs
    yeah the touch screen buttons are a pain in the bum

I’d be lost without my Amazon echos, I have 4 of them already. Controlling half the house with them among many other things they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

yeah the touch screen buttons are a pain in the bum

Only used one once. Have to agree, a knob is miles handier.

Seems to be a trend of replacing knobs with buttons or touch screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Horusire wrote: »
    Give reasons? I think they are brilliant and will hopefully be the norm in 10 years time.

Horses for courses. The ones now are fine for short hop and moderate driving, not great for long distances and down the country. Want to tow a load like a caravan, boat or horsebox, forget it. They would want to improve in range, power and price before they become the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Bixby on Samsung, utter crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

mrcheez wrote: »
    ... or control your TV
    ... or add reminders

I tell mine clean the house ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cars run by CPU rather than a carburettor!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I tell mine clean the house ;)

When I upgrade Phil (my Roomba) i'll definitely be going with the Alexa-enabled model.

Alexa is literally my PA, adds reminders for me and turns on my lights when I come home after work on dark evenings.

Horses for courses. The ones now are fine for short hop and moderate driving, not great for long distances and down the country. Want to tow a load like a caravan, boat or horsebox, forget it. They would want to improve in range, power and price before they become the norm.

Most homes have two cars no reason for one not to be electric. Awful lot of people never do very long drives or need to tow anything.

I have a 120km round trip commute and have saved a lot with my leaf over tge last three years. They are easier and more pleasant to drive so not just financial or environmental advantages.

Whats there now will already suit the majority of people but you're right that their not yet suitable for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Windows 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Synthesizers - most are copies of ones from the 1980s, use digital technology to imitate analogue, don't sound as good and are not as robust.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭storker

iTunes. Worst piece of software I've ever had to use. Instead of helping it just makes everything more difficult. Dreadful interface. I dumped Apple several years ago and went with Android. I've never looked back.

Air pumps at garages. They used simply consist of a hose coming out of a compressor with a pressure gauge attached, and they were never out of action. Now they're all fancy with LCD display and pressure pre-select and of course, coin operated (grrrrrrrr), and they're always on the blink when you need them.

Sony VEGAS from 2000s onwards : Built up resoectable fanbase. 2016 onwards: Magix VEGAS video editing software : leaning hard on the laurels built up when it was Sony. Dwindling fanbase readily apparent in YouTube and elsewhere.

Touchscreens in many instances. Often just easier to break down then older controllers. Why anyone wants them in a laptop i dont know. In a tablet or phone fine but otherwise no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

storker wrote: »
    Air pumps at garages. They used simply consist of a hose coming out of a compressor with a pressure gauge attached, and they were never out of action. Now they're all fancy with LCD display and pressure pre-select and of course, coin operated (grrrrrrrr), and they're always on the blink when you need them.

Handy tip: You can pick up a bicycle track pump for 20 - 30 euro and they're amazing at pumping up car tyres. Much better than the garage air pumps or those electric pump things you get from Halfords in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

6541 wrote: »
    Bixby on Samsung, utter crap.

Samsung phones are amazing, there the new nokia

• Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Modern vending machines and parking meters etc in this day and age that are still COIN only, will only take 10c/20c upwards and don't give change. FFS.

Planned obselesence. Most mass produced utensils and electrical things are good for a few years, aren't repairable and just go to landfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭CoBo55

... or control your TV
    ... or add reminders

All of which you can actually do yourself... If you got out of the armchair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Electric cars.

It's an obsolete technology that had its hayday during Edwardian times. Hydrogen cell technology is the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

... or control your TV
    ... or add reminders

If only there was another way of doing all of the above that didn’t rely on you giving up your right to privacy in your own home. Like using a remote, or heading to the kitchen to control the heating settings. No one is so time poor they can’t get their arse out of the chair.

Advertisement