Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern technology which is shït.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Greyfox wrote: »
    Samsung phones are amazing, there the new nokia

I concur.

But wtf is Bixby, apart from an annoyance that I can't remove from the devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Renewable electricity. Till they sort out base load we'll have more trouble like the UK yesterday, along with the fact that it doesn't replace a single unit of fossil fuel generation because of the need for spinning backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

VAR - the games gone mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

Electric hand brakes in cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Anything that uses some usually unnecessary Cloud-based middleman in order to charge you a monthly fee and / or analyzes your habits in order to bomb you with targeted advertising. Most mobile phone apps would be included in this, stuff that is now mainstream and accepted would have been derided as spyware in the early 2000s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,810 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Most homes have two cars no reason for one not to be electric. Awful lot of people never do very long drives or need to tow anything.

I have a 120km round trip commute and have saved a lot with my leaf over tge last three years. They are easier and more pleasant to drive so not just financial or environmental advantages.

Whats there now will already suit the majority of people but you're right that their not yet suitable for all.

I think the above is a fair assessment, but I’m not disputing that for other people they are an excellent purchase, happy for them, but for me some of the drawbacks are first of all that I suppose I don’t think they actually are good value for money. The other major drawback I see is of course the battery life and the time they take to recharge. I can’t say the lack of recharge points is a drawback of the cars themselves, but it’s a consideration at the same time. I also just haven’t seen or driven one I actually had a eureka moment in and thought “Yes! This would make me consider purchasing an electric car”.

I’ve no doubt there are good reasons for other people to buy them, but for me personally there just aren’t any, I just can’t get enthusiastic about them at all at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If only there was another way of doing all of the above that didn’t rely on you giving up your right to privacy in your own home. Like using a remote, or heading to the kitchen to control the heating settings. No one is so time poor they can’t get their arse out of the chair.

Sure. And you can wash your dishes by hand. Wash your clothes by hand. Keep your food cool by buying blocks of ice. Heat your water by judicious use of fire kindling.

I'm surprised you're posting here and not listening to some kicking 1920s smash hits on the wireless.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Microsoft Office and ribbon based interfaces. Why the ever loving **** is this utter garbage slower than Office 2000 on an exponentially faster hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Li-ion batteries - particularly if they are sealed in.

Cars run by CPU rather than a carburettor!

Buy a Honda next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Voice activated anything. I can't bring myself to speak to inanimate objects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Quantized drums.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's an obsolete technology that had its hayday during Edwardian times. Hydrogen cell technology is the future.

Hydrogen cell needs reliable and efficient electric drivetrains. They aren't going to appear from nowhere, current EV developments are driving them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Smart watches. They do **** all, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Apps that require access to things they dont need, like your pictures and texts and microphone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Apps that have been 'improved' to run on the latest version of Android. Now you can't run them on an older phone.

L1011 wrote: »
    Hydrogen cell needs reliable and efficient electric drivetrains. They aren't going to appear from nowhere, current EV developments are driving them

Honda seem quite capable of applying known tech about electric motors and power management to come up with the hydrogen fuel cell Clarity (2008). They didn't need Tesla or BEVs to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Touch screens, until they figure out a way to keep finger prints off the screen, it's sh!te

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Comhra wrote: »
    Voice activated anything. I can't bring myself to speak to inanimate objects.

So you don't use a phone then?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

6541 wrote: »
    Bixby on Samsung, utter crap.
    An absolute crap addition to the Galaxy phones.

And it's own dedicated button at the side too... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

byte wrote: »

First thing I did when I got my S10E was disable that ****e.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

First thing I did when I got my S10E was disable that ****e.
    Indeed, but now I have a useless button that I press by accident on occasion when trying to hit the volume! :)

I never did look much into whether that button can be re-assigned to camera or something.

With Google onboard, the addition of Bixby was a bit redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭CoBo55

byte wrote: »

One of the main reasons I moved to android one was because of the bloatware, particularly on Samsung phones which I was a great fan of.

If only there was another way of doing all of the above that didn’t rely on you giving up your right to privacy in your own home. Like using a remote, or heading to the kitchen to control the heating settings. No one is so time poor they can’t get their arse out of the chair.

People are obsessed with “privacy”. They aren’t the big bad wolf sitting there listening like you think, it’s jonsense. It’s also not about being lazy. They are a fantastic aid to life in many many ways. I’d really would be lost without echos now I’m so used to them.

I’ll soon be building a new house and home automation is going to be planned in from the start, everything is going to be smart from the lights, to front door to garage doors to heating etc etc. Probably have an amazon echo in every room.
    leex wrote: »
    Electric hand brakes in cars.

I couldn’t disagree more, coincidently I just posted in the the “obsolete” thread how I’m very glad to see the back of manual handbrakes, auto handbrakes and hill hold really improve driving pleasure and comfort!

CoBo55 wrote: »
    All of which you can actually do yourself... If you got out of the armchair.

I can do all of that while cooking. Unbelievably handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

People are obsessed with “privacy”. They aren’t the big bad wolf sitting there listening like you think, it’s jonsense. It’s also not about being lazy. They are a fantastic aid to life in many many ways. I’d really would be lost without echos now I’m so used to them.

I’ll soon be building a new house and home automation is going to be planned in from the start, everything is going to be smart from the lights, to front door to garage doors to heating etc etc. Probably have an amazon echo in every room.

I couldn’t disagree more, coincidently I just posted in the the “obsolete” thread how I’m very glad to see the cam of manual handbrakes, auto handbrakes and hill hold really improve driving pleasure and comfort!

Does it remind you to wash the bed sheets and have a shower every now and again?

Does it remind you to wash the bed sheets and have a shower every now and again?

No as it’s not controlled by a boards clean freak.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,260 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Recent apple phones with the lightning connection. It's a step backwards because it means you have to buy lightning earphones or Bluetooth earphones. And it doesn't allow you to charge and use earphones at the same time. You can buy an additional adapter to make it accept the ubiquitous 3.5mm jack. Backwards step.

I bought an iPhone 8 recently and returned it when I found out how much of a pain in the hole the lightning port was

Recent apple phones with the lightning connection. It's a step backwards because it means you have to buy lightning earphones or Bluetooth earphones. And it doesn't allow you to charge and use earphones at the same time. You can buy an additional adapter to make it accept the ubiquitous 3.5mm jack. Backwards step.

I bought an iPhone 8 recently and returned it when I found out how much of a pain in the hole the lightning port was

Wired headphones are a thing of the past for me for quite a while already and will soon be for everyone. Bluetooth all the way, couldn’t be dealing with wires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I've no idea what half the **** ye are talking about is, i have switches for my lights and coal for my heat, would alexa clean out the fire for me, and would an electric car pull my digger up the corkscrew hill, the only thing voice activated in my house is the missus, if i ask her to make me a cuppa she usually does, usually i might add, sometimes theres a glitch in the system where she'll tell me make the fcukin thing myself but otherwise she's reliable

Advertisement