Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern technology which is shït.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

riclad wrote: »
    Iphone,s , with no earphone, so you have to buy a dongle or an expensive airpod to listen to music .thats ridiculous.And of course samsung copied the iphone as it usually does.
    I do not believe theres no room in a smart phone for a 3.5mm socket.

I've a brand new samsung and it has the headphone socket. So I think it's just apple who have removed it completely

Also, wireless vr is a thing now, I have one and it's pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

The new tech keyboard riclad uses!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,810 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

lmimmfn wrote: »
    The new tech keyboard riclad uses!

One of these -

Fellowes_98915_antimicrobial_split_design_keyboard_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

One of these -

Fellowes_98915_antimicrobial_split_design_keyboard_2.jpg
    Unfortunately not that one looks like its has apostrophes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The joke that is rural broadband.

My auld one lives out the back-end of the arse-end of the boreen outside the town that even Bus Éireann regional services couldn't be bothered dealing with. And she has been offered a broadband service by the ESB in the past few weeks.

How many of these homes within the national broadband scheme actually need this service, especially when the ESB could roll out fibre to every transformer, and use 5G/LoS etc to send the required bandwith into rural houses? Surely the people who rolled out a world class electricity network can just piggybank on what they've installed already?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Now^ (and in the future), and there will be no brick wall with it, it's not regressive, by it's very nature. We're only at early wave1. Past 2050 and wave3, it's likely an omnipresent superintelligence will evolve that makes humans largely redundant.

This is meaningless nonsense. How can “waves” be anticipated in advance. What exactly are these waves.

Let me reiterate - we can’t solve the problem of AGI - the problem of even mimicking a human brain. We will therefore not get superhumans any time soon.
    Currently automation/ai is replacing unskilled workers, this will increase as soon as price points become practical.
    Any 'new' (skilled) work created, won't balance the losses, and generally will only be for the very brightest and highest educated.

You are just repeating the nonsensical unsourced guff you originally came up with. Automation - which isn’t the same as AI, will continue to replace some workers as it has been doing. Some voice recognition or other rule based algorithms might replace call centres - but that’s hardly groundbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The BMW C1 scooter, which had a roof. Sold 12,614 units in total.

Ready for a comeback I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

My auld one lives out the back-end of the arse-end of the boreen outside the town that even Bus Éireann regional services couldn't be bothered dealing with. And she has been offered a broadband service by the ESB in the past few weeks.

How many of these homes within the national broadband scheme actually need this service, especially when the ESB could roll out fibre to every transformer, and use 5G/LoS etc to send the required bandwith into rural houses? Surely the people who rolled out a world class electricity network can just piggybank on what they've installed already?

No they can't, they won't/don't want to, can't be made do it and besides there isn't enough wireless spectrum to go around. This of more of that I'm alright Jack attitude we see on here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Technology does not go backwards, only forwards. e.g. Quantum processing exists now in it's infancy, it simply didn't exist decades ago.
    The 'current' robots at your local Amazon warehouse do need to be smart to detect and avoid any (rare) human that gets in the way, it 'self-learns' an alternative route based on recognition and provides a predictive lossless solution so it can work around them. Self-learning simply didn't exist before recent times.
    Mid-2030s onwards. Biological interfacing will indeed be a factor and reality.
    As others have said general AI isn't remotely close. That's even if it's possible since it depends on an unproven assumption, i.e. that consciousness is computational/algorithmic. That could easily turn out to be false.

See similar "futurism" in nanotechnology. First it was microscopic machines. Then we found out engineering principles don't work on that scale for most materials. Except, when the calculations were done, for chains of carbon and protein, i.e. organic molecules. Further investigation showed more and more that the only machines possible on that scale would basically have to be bacteria.

Also quantum computing isn't magic. It will speed up some things, e.g. search times on online shops, but not others like graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Day Light Running lights...I fücking hate them as all they have done is make stupid people even stupider. Arseholes are now driving around at night with no rear lights because they think their DRLs are headlights. I came up behind one of these clowns on the way back from Dublin at 2am a few weeks ago. I flashed my lights a few times to try and warn them but no joy. I eventually passed them out and switched my own lights of and on to try and give them a clue but no joy, he/she was simply too dumb and stupid to realise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

What exactly are these waves.
    If you have to ask, you really, really don't know.

Also someone mentioned VR a while ago, while it is yet to take off in any meaningful way for 'end user recipients' (for a host of temporary practical reasons) that will of course change fairly quickly in due time.

VR however is becoming more useful for 'creators':
    One of the very latest Holywood movies (The Lion King) was entirely created using HTC Vive headsets and the Unity gaming platform and a few other bits n bobs. It may well essentially be the 1st real live VR set-produced film environment. The sheer quality is hard to differentiate from traditional film, perhaps the highest grade digital photorealist movie to date.

Newsreaders can already be easily replaced by VR presenters (surprised they haven't already), and a new fashion model for Prada/Uggs/CK with 1.3m instas doesn't actually exist in the flesh. Fashon model Lil Miquela (Miquela Sousa) is a virtual influencer that won't throw a hissy fit like NC or KMoss or even want a glass of water.

One modern tech curse might be the 'chatbot', 15% of Americanos have interfaced with one in the last year when dealing with support queries to larger brands.

Globally, 38% of consumers view chatbots positively, whereas only 11% have a negative perception of chatbots. The remaining 51% stayed neutral about chatbots.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Fourier wrote: »
    As others have said general AI isn't remotely close. That's even if it's possible since it depends on an unproven assumption, i.e. that consciousness is computational/algorithmic. That could easily turn out to be false.

See similar "futurism" in nanotechnology. First it was microscopic machines. Then we found out engineering principles don't work on that scale for most materials. Except, when the calculations were done, for chains of carbon and protein, i.e. organic molecules. Further investigation showed more and more that the only machines possible on that scale would basically have to be bacteria.

Also quantum computing isn't magic. It will speed up some things, e.g. search times on online shops, but not others like graphics.

I think the theory that consciousness may be based in quantum vibrations in microtubules to be very interesting. If it's true, then General Intelligence AI is a no goer.

As for technologies that are crap: autonomous driving. Snake oil. I think driving will turn out to require general intelligence at human levels of competence. I would find it more stressful to be monitoring an autonomous system in order to save it and my ass, than just doing the driving myself. If you have to do the mental processing and focused attention involved in driving and have your hands on the wheel, what on earth is the point? It's like putting your finger on a light switch and then using your other hand to pull your phone out of your pocket and use your stupid home automation to turn the lights on, when you could have just twitched your finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think sony and microsoft are going in the wrong direction,
    the new consoles will be very fast pc,s ,they will need big fans and use a lot of power to cool the cpu,s ,and the grahics cards .
    I,d prefer an updated console that plays all games at 1080p hd,
    at 60 frames per second .
    i don,t care about 4k gaming with ray tracing hdr or dts audio .
    i do not think most console gamers care about 4k or hdr .
    Leave that market to pc gamers .
    i think its a trend now to launch game streaming services
    google stadia etc

google stadia will not allow you to download a game ,
    its just streaming to your pc or laptop .
    I see no point in streaming games to my pc ,i can buy games from steam, or in my local shop on disc for my console .
    Games are now 50 gigabyte ,and that does not even include updates .
    Unless you have a unlimited broadband connection at 20meg plus
    it makes no sense .
    And the broadband in america is mediocre in most places ,
    with maybe 1 or 2 choices of isp provider .

google has a habit of making an app or service and just dropping
    it after 6 months if it does not get millions of users .

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Foldable phones. Who actually needs one?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What a load of tosh. I have an xBox One X and it's whisper quiet. I also have an xBox 360 and it's like having a jet taxiing in the room.

Newer chips are built on smaller process nodes than in the past and so tend to require less power for the same level of performance. The 360 has a 203w power brick while the X uses 172w flat out, but more typically would use about 64w to play a blueray disc or 100w for non 4k legacy game.

Game streaming is a load of horse manure. You would need a FTTH connection and a server really close by.

We already have the global warming loons going on about banning air travel - only eat enough so you take a sh1t ever second day - stop eating meat of course. They are coming for our game consoles next - I can feel it!

Oh yes - nearly forgot the obligatory modern tech that is poo: Solar panels in Ireland. I'm an Australian - I cry just thinking about it.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Electric cars.

I could give multiple reasons, but in summary they’re just shìt.
    Agree, pure muck. People with EV's had real fun in the UK at the weekend when they had their massive power cut / shortage. Don't expect EV drivers to admit that though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

car entertainment units, more of a distraction than anything else...wonder how many crashes are caused by them??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,260 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Neames wrote: »

I certainly don't need one. But I'd be interested to see where the tech goes next. Could lead somewhere interesting, could be useless.

It would be good to have a fold-out or roll-out screen so you could make the screen bigger or smaller. Not something I worry about but would be interested to see where the tech/ product goes in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    The BMW C1 scooter, which had a roof. Sold 12,614 units in total.

Ready for a comeback I reckon.

Killed by the requirement to wear a helmet really - they thought they'd get away without it.

riclad wrote: »
    I think sony and microsoft are going in the wrong direction,
    the new consoles will be very fast pc,s ,they will need big fans and use a lot of power to cool the cpu,s ,and the grahics cards .
    I,d prefer an updated console that plays all games at 1080p hd,
    at 60 frames per second .
    i don,t care about 4k gaming with ray tracing hdr or dts audio .
    i do not think most console gamers care about 4k or hdr .
    Leave that market to pc gamers .
    i think its a trend now to launch game streaming services
    google stadia etc

google stadia will not allow you to download a game ,
    its just streaming to your pc or laptop .
    I see no point in streaming games to my pc ,i can buy games from steam, or in my local shop on disc for my console .
    Games are now 50 gigabyte ,and that does not even include updates .
    Unless you have a unlimited broadband connection at 20meg plus
    it makes no sense .
    And the broadband in america is mediocre in most places ,
    with maybe 1 or 2 choices of isp provider .

google has a habit of making an app or service and just dropping
    it after 6 months if it does not get millions of users .

Honestly you need to improve the structure of your posts they are all over the place and I find myself skipping them as they are so hard to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Honestly you need to improve the structure of your posts they are all over the place and I find myself skipping them as they are so hard to read.

Hmmmm.

Capcha. "The number of squares with sets of traffic lights that you see"/"the squares with mountains that you see". "The number of squares with cats in the picture"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Capcha. "The number of squares with sets of traffic lights that you see"/"the squares with mountains that you see". "The number of squares with cats in the picture"

A truly unnecessary stress.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

A truly unnecessary stress.

I am not a robot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Touch screen controls in a car! Just give me physical controls I can use without taking my eyes off the road.

Neames wrote: »
    Suits a Ross O'Carroll Kelly type more than anyone else.
    "The screen went KRACKK roight down along the fould line one bought"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

cournioni wrote: »
    Agree, pure muck. People with EV's had real fun in the UK at the weekend when they had their massive power cut / shortage. Don't expect EV drivers to admit that though. ;)

Were petrol stations not affected or something?
    In a power outage you can't buy petrol either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Low capacity toilet flush technology, you end up having to flush the thing twice when you have a dump instead of once with the old days system.

Yeah those modern low capacity ones are probably fine if you are Chris Martin or Gwyneth Paltrow or someone.

Come on toilet makers - what about the rest of us?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭davidk1394

storker wrote: »
    A solution in search of a problem if I ever saw one.

A friend had a Passat parked on a hill. Battery went flat and we couldn’t leave off the handbrake to roll start it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was hearing over the weekend about some car manufacturers wanting to do public trials on solar powered cars. The solar panel on the car would be installed on it's rooftop. I find the idea to be good in theory but the solar panel cars won't work here if we had no sunlight during the daytime hours. The way you work it is probably the same as a solar powered house. It has to be powered by sunlight to make the system work inside it so to speak. They are starting to be released by Hyundai recently. I don't know what the general perception of what they will be like from people in Ireland unless I ask people here for some perspective on them.

Advertisement