Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today FM premier league live

• 10-08-2019 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭joe123

Have I missed something....why isn't premier league live on Today FM?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

I was thinking same thing. It must be gone 😔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like its finished.

Has its sister station Newstalk got the rights now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Anton Small Semicircle

they lost it so they can put on another influencer or "content creator" to jibber jabber about nonsense rather than a good sized audience would like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

I remember they said it was their last broadcast last season. Dont know where it moved to, newstalk maybe?
    Disapointing as i was lookong for it on the way home from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Newstalk only have Sunday football. You'd imagine the radio rights for a market as small as this one would be cheap enough. Maybe one of the bigger Dublin stations should take a punt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Some games today on talksport via TuneIn radio. Didn't have to do any VPN magic either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭joe123

Damn that's a shame. Newstalk just had their general sports show and there was some generic ****e on Today FM.

Cant even find anything online about it. Always loved putting it on if driving somewhere on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Gonna miss Lawros sarcastic replies to everything
    Not

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'd often find myself in the car going somewhere on a Saturday and noted it wasn't on.

Will be sorely missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'd often find myself in the car going somewhere on a Saturday and noted it wasn't on.

Will be sorely missed.

I liked having it on when doing some DIY or gardening when I couldn't watch any TV and didn't have to keep checking the phone for updates. Turned on the radio Saturday and all I heard was some inane chatter and giggles from some 'content creator'. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭bot43

Id say it was my most listened to radio show of the last 2 decades. Was very handy when driving or working around the house. The hour after was variable. When it was the phone in you got some utter madmen calling in.

Now in its place they have the usual generic rubbish which you could listen to at any time of day on that channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭oppiuy

I went looking for it on sat. Ended up downloading a random uk radio app and talksport worked. I thought it would be blocked. It was a great show, i wonder why its gone. Cant find any info on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Always used to throw it on when driving. I'd normally end up listening to games that I wouldn't even watch.

It was a little throwback to the days of trying to get BBC 5 live 909 MW here in Ireland because it was long before the days of streaming. You'd have to have the dial in exactly the right place depending on the weather conditions or all you'd here is buzzing. Listening on the radio was the only way of getting 'live' updates without waiting for Aertel to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

v3ttel wrote: »
    Always used to throw it on when driving. I'd normally end up listening to games that I wouldn't even watch.

It was a little throwback to the days of trying to get BBC 5 live 909 MW here in Ireland because it was long before the days of streaming. You'd have to have the dial in exactly the right place depending on the weather conditions or all you'd here is buzzing. Listening on the radio was the only way of getting 'live' updates without waiting for Aertel to update.

In my head they were better times but I now realise how old I am and how utterly insane that statement is because it was horrific.

I remember being so excited when I happened across Spurs v Tranmere in the League Cup in around 88-89 on a wireless that was anything but wireless and that you would need around 6 able bodied men to carry. The BBC Radio 5 reception was absolutely abysmal but I was happy as a pig in ****. Kids today don't know they're born...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

FutureGuy wrote: »

Will be sorely missed.
    That's it . No problem listening to talksport or 5live in the house but driving or out doing a bit of work outside and we're screwed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

v3ttel wrote: »

Before the days of health and safety we used to run a length of wire from the neutral in a wall socket and wrap the other end around the radio aerial to improve reception.
    Aaah,the good old days.

Before the days of health and safety we used to run a length of wire from the neutral in a wall socket and wrap the other end around the radio aerial to improve reception.
    Aaah,the good old days.

Rod Hull approves of this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Jesus, that's a shame, like others have said it was good background radio around the house or in the car on a Saturday

Has been on since the late '90s.

I had a look at the Today FM sport twitter feed - not a thing posted since April 16th so it didn't even have a trivial news story for the climax of the Prem season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Ya I turned on Today Fm on saturday(firsttime since end of last soccer saturday). Heard it noton a checked google took a bit to find anything just a tune in to our last show. Just went into 5live on the phone and it worked

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I had a look at the Today FM sport twitter feed - not a thing posted since April 16th so it didn't even have a trivial news story for the climax of the Prem season.

AFAIK Today FM sport has been subsumed by Off The Ball. They're providing the sports for both Today FM and Newstalk now as well as having their own online station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Such a shame. You can watch football pretty much anywhere, anytime now - but I always enjoyed listening to a match on the radio in the car.

Today FM and Aertel were my only sources of football when I was younger as we never had Sky. Though we had the channels, they were scrambled so you could listen to them at least, which I often did :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Remember listening to the Liverpool v Sunderland beachball game on it and thinking wtf is going on

I will definitely miss it when driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So does anyone know if Newstalk have picked up the live Sat pm game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Aaah,the good old days.

Haha quality.....living out in the sticks the shop van used to come on a wed night and he always had the 5live on usually he visited our house after 9, manys a night myself and my brother stood in the van just listening to the game and chatting him to make sure he didn't leave before the game was over.
    The night of the Cantona V Wimbledon kick was one I remember particularly well, 3 of us hadn't a clue what was going on!!

Also remember the night of the Giggs wondergoal Vs Arsenal in the FA cup. there was a power cut for whatever reason (could have been weather related) but we listened to the game in my brothers car....yes, we had flip all else to do :D:D:D i think the power was back on in time for match of the day that night though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

greendom wrote: »
    So does anyone know if Newstalk have picked up the live Sat pm game?

I don't think so unless they can have extended coverage where they can go from game to game and stay on the game for a bit like RTE do with GAA sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Remember listening to the Liverpool v Sunderland beachball game on it and thinking wtf is going on

I will definitely miss it when driving

ha, same! was driving from Cork to Dublin, had to pull into a petrol station to check the internet for pictures/gifs/tweets or anything i could find to make sense of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Newstalk commentary is dreadful. They commentate as if they were doing the game for TV as opposed to radio. You have absolutely no idea on what's going on in the game as they are just chatting away. Even if there is a goal, all you hear is crowd noise and some quippy line like "oh that sums it up". You don't even know if its goal, a penalty, a shocking miss. The art of radio commentary seems to be lost on a lot.

I was listening to Talksport on my way home on Saturday and Clive Tyldesley was doing his first radio game in 30 years. He definitely remembered the fact that he is talking to people who cannot see the game, therefore he describes what he sees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Damn - I also enjoyed listening to it on Saturdays when driving home (hour long drive)

So there's no similar show here on a Saturday afternoon doing a live match on Radio?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

gucci wrote: »
    Haha quality.....living out in the sticks the shop van used to come on a wed night and he always had the 5live on usually he visited our house after 9, manys a night myself and my brother stood in the van just listening to the game and chatting him to make sure he didn't leave before the game was over.
    The night of the Cantona V Wimbledon kick was one I remember particularly well, 3 of us hadn't a clue what was going on!!

Also remember the night of the Giggs wondergoal Vs Arsenal in the FA cup. there was a power cut for whatever reason (could have been weather related) but we listened to the game in my brothers car....yes, we had flip all else to do :D:D:D i think the power was back on in time for match of the day that night though

You don’t remember it that well if you’re on about Cantona kicking a fan because that was against Palace.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

gucci wrote: »

The Joanthan Pearce radio commentary of that Cantona incident is hilarious:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

gstack166 wrote: »
    You don’t remember it that well if you’re on about Cantona kicking a fan because that was against Palace.

Ah the reception was a bit fuzzy that night, thought they were saying Wimbledon on the radio :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

gstack166 wrote: »

They both used to play at Selhurst Park then.

But of course you'd know that :P

Just confirming that again you can get talksport commentary of the premier leavue via TuneIn radio app.

Might be useful for those out and about - but be careful of data usage etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Aaah,the good old days.

I discovered that if I positioned the radio in a certain way so the end of the ariel touched the surround of the weatherglaze window, the BBC5 reception would improve ever so slightly.

Always loved listening to the radio on a Saturday afternoon. I think my absolute hatred for rugby comes from back in the 80s, when BBC5 would cover the 5 nations instead of the second half of a football match. Bastards.

Still prefer the radio now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Brian Kerr is on the Newstalk commentary today (Newcastle vs. Spurs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Just confirming that again you can get talksport commentary of the premier leavue via TuneIn radio app.

Might be useful for those out and about - but be careful of data usage etc
    Not geo-blocked? Radio 5 live is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Remember the cantona palace game on 5 live. Alan green was a great commentator. Loved how they switched commentator's during the match.

5 live always used to go fuzzy when a goal was scored so it took ages to work out what happened. Always seemed to be better reception on a cold clear night.

The football phone in with Danny walker used to be good too. Fellas in cars driving back moaning like hell. None of the text twitter stuff.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That's something I was curious about, was R5Live blocked last weekend?

I ask, because it wasn't blocked for the first 2 PL Saturday's, but I didn't get to check last weekend.

Has Alan Green retired?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Kerr hadn’t missed a step on Sunday anyway...

‘Lashells’

‘Maura’

‘Sizzohko’

pjohnson wrote: »
    Brian Kerr is on the Newstalk commentary today (Newcastle vs. Spurs)

Heard his post-match interview replayed on I think Monday night, he lay into the FAI, no better man for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Officer999

Very disappointing. Was great casual listening on a Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Brian Kerr has forgotten more about football than any of us will ever know...

if he was from Donnybrook he would be taken a lot more seriously.

love listening to him

byte wrote: »
    That's something I was curious about, was R5Live blocked last weekend?

I ask, because it wasn't blocked for the first 2 PL Saturday's, but I didn't get to check last weekend.

5live is geo blocked - bit of vpn magic can get around that.

Talksport and talksport 2 doesn't appear to be this year but last year I remember it was. Maybe they are forgetting to flick a button.

Talksport definitely was working on tunein radio app on phone on Saturday 3pm.

Not as good as today fm but does the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

why was this axed does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

why was this axed does anyone know?

I'd love to know. Maybe rights too expensive?

They probably got 5 times the listenership they do now for a Saturday afternoon.

JPA wrote: »

They probably got 5 times the listenership they do now for a Saturday afternoon.

Radio influencers need to have social media interaction with twitter / Instagram etc

God forbid they have a show that people like.

I would love a programme like virgin used to have in the UK called rock n roll football....songs played and then abruptly interrupted with scores coming in. Then every so often they would do quick catch up of the scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

JPA wrote: »

you think with the off the ball showing mainstream on the podcast app it would be smart to keep the rights and move it to newstalk.

more than likely they coundnt afford to keep all 3 live games going.

• Advertisement
Advertisement