Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entering house in notice of termination period

Options
  • 10-08-2019 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all. Sorry if this is the wrong thread,
    I have issued a notice of termination to my Tennant’s which will end on 20th September. The house is in Drogheda. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with selling on after the tenancy ends and if so what advice would you give
    In particular, can I let an estate agent in (with the Tennant’s permission) to take photos and list the property before the end of the notice period. I would like to list it a couple of weeks before the end date (stating on the listing that it would not be available until after the termination date) as I would like to hit the ground running once the Tennant’s move out.
    Has anyone sold a house in Drogheda lately and how long should it take to sell. Also does anyone have any recommendations for an estate agent and solicitor
    Thanks in advance for any information.
    Regards,
    Phil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You cannot let anyone in without the tenant agreeing to it. Do not expect them to agree to it, *most* will if you arrange a time with them but not everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I doubt it very much that photos of the inside of the house with the tenants still there will do much to generate interest in the property.

I would wait for them to leave. Then clean and possibly touch up paint before taking any photos. I'm sure that you will cut the grass and hedge before taking photos of the outside of the property too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have issued a notice of termination to my Tennant’s which will end on 20th September.
    Did you give them 28 or 90 days notice?
    I would like to hit the ground running once the Tennant’s move out
    Easier to do when the tenants are no longer there, as they may not leave by the termination date.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 perthgringo98

Hi guys, Thanks for all the responses. I think I’ll leave it until they move out and then spend a few days cleaning and touching up paint etc.
    Has anyone any ideas how long 3 bedroom starter houses in drogheda are taking to sell at the moment
    Regards,
    Phil

the_syco wrote: »
    Did you give them 28 or 90 days notice?

Easier to do when the tenants are no longer there, as they may not leave by the termination date.

Hi, they had been in the house for a number of years so the notice period was almost 6 months.

We get on very well. They have been great Tennant’s so hopefully the move out will go smoothly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They have been great Tennant’s so hopefully the move out will go smoothly
    Hopefully, but they've a month to go and are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It will need more then a touch up of paint ....

Wear and tear after that time will be considerably high unless they were never there.

If they leave on time then worry about putting it up ...
    If priced right it will sell.

It will need more then a touch up of paint ....

Wear and tear after that time will be considerably high unless they were never there.

If they leave on time then worry about putting it up ...
    If priced right it will sell.

Thanks for the reply. The house was painted as well as getting new wooden floors downstairs about two years ago (whilst Tennant’s were in property). There was also a new fridge and cooker put in over the last 3-4 years so hopefully it won’t be too bad.

the_syco wrote: »
    Hopefully, but they've a month to go and are still there.

Ummm why wouldn't they still be there?

OP have you asked them? Is it an amicable parting, in that they know you are actually selling and not trying to pull a fast one? If so they might be ok with an agent coming in for photos BUT it's a lived in home where they are not the selling party, so have no reason to make it brochure clean.
    Better, for you, to wait until afterwards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The length of time its taking to sell property is lengthening considerably.
    The actual length of time- will depend on a number of factors:
    • Price
    • Whether new property is for sale in the area
    • Whether the tenant actually vacates the property or not (its unsaleable unless its vacant)
    • BER rating and perceived desirability of the property versus other property on the market in the general area

Keep in mind- as a secondhand property- it is ineligible for the first time buyer's grant- so you'll have to take this into account in the price too.

As long as you price it competitively and are conscious of who your prospective buyers are- you'll probably be fine.

At present, it could well take 3-4 months or even longer from initially putting a property on the market to actually sell it (providing nothing goes wrong).
    I'm aware of one secondhand property in Monasterboice that the sale has fallen through on twice this year so far, and the EA is putting it back on the market in September- which would be in the same general area as Drogheda.

I'd also suggest doing the bare minimum to try and sell it- aka a deep clean and a repainting in neutral colours- nothing else. You'll not get back any money you spend on the property.

• Advertisement

The length of time its taking to sell property is lengthening considerably.
    The actual length of time- will depend on a number of factors:
    • Price
    • Whether new property is for sale in the area
    • Whether the tenant actually vacates the property or not (its unsaleable unless its vacant)
    • BER rating and perceived desirability of the property versus other property on the market in the general area

Keep in mind- as a secondhand property- it is ineligible for the first time buyer's grant- so you'll have to take this into account in the price too.

As long as you price it competitively and are conscious of who your prospective buyers are- you'll probably be fine.

At present, it could well take 3-4 months or even longer from initially putting a property on the market to actually sell it (providing nothing goes wrong).
    I'm aware of one secondhand property in Monasterboice that the sale has fallen through on twice this year so far, and the EA is putting it back on the market in September- which would be in the same general area as Drogheda.

I'd also suggest doing the bare minimum to try and sell it- aka a deep clean and a repainting in neutral colours- nothing else. You'll not get back any money you spend on the property.

Thank you for the response - That is really useful.
    I was kind of hoping for a 3-4 month timeframe.
    I suppose anyone that moves in would rather pay a little less and decorate to their own taste

Advertisement